Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
My dad once shot a grizzly, in unit 17, with a 7SAUM. It had a hole through both its lungs after he shot it and it made it about 25 yards before it died really dead.

I gotta ask how much deader is really dead compared to regular dead? šŸ˜

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mart
My dad once shot a grizzly, in unit 17, with a 7SAUM. It had a hole through both its lungs after he shot it and it made it about 25 yards before it died really dead.

Tongue protrusion sticking out is dead in excess of 3" measured with a ruler from tongue tip to the front side of lower canines is really dead. You know I wouldn't sh*t you. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
When they try to bite you, more dedder is more better.

FWIW, I'd shoot the largest grizzly or moose with a 25-06 if Phil would stand beside me. I'd carry a bigger gun in the thickets if I were alone.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Thoughts on what is adequate in bear country. Will a 7mm Rem Mag with 175 Partitions at 2900fps be sufficient in a situation with a brown bear. I also thought of moving up to a 300 Weatherby with 200 Accubonds @3075fps, seems like a bigger step up than a 300 Win Mag. I'm sure in a real situation, not much would feel adequate in the moment. Just trying to be prepared for worst case. Any advice is appreciated.

From the cheap seatsā€¦ the reason I still own my .338 WM is pretty much exactly this scenario. Which of course isnā€™t to say you need a 338.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FƜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think I would be more worried about hitting the bear in the right place more than if a 175g 7mm partition would kill it.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thank you for all the responses and the sharing of experiences. Speaking of Phil, when Mr. Shoemaker speaks, he has my complete attention. There is a lot of experience there to learn from and he is always willing to share his knowledge. Thank you!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thank you for all the responses and the sharing of experiences. Speaking of Phil, when Mr. Shoemaker speaks, he has my complete attention. There is a lot of experience there to learn from and he is always willing to share his knowledge. Thank you!

Iā€™m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest this. Philā€™s rifle has a lot of miles on it from being ā€œon callā€ for a worst case scenario. Going farther out on the limbā€¦ā€¦if he thought a lesser cartridge was just as effective in a ā€œworse case scenarioā€ā€¦..it would have the recognition rather than his .458!

I may be very, very wrongā€¦.but JMO! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In two trips to Alaska taking Moose, Caribou, Black Bear and a Grizzly I took a 338 Win Mag. I never had issues and was successful in all instances.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My SIL claims three levels of dead:

Dead, deader, deadest.

Itā€™s become a family joke.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by ironbender

Dead, deader, deadest.

Where does ded fit in ? it might be a less violent dead. A guy's dad I knew shot a grizzly when he lived in Alaska. I asked , what did he shoot it with , a 338 winchester short super mag.? He said, no, he used his .308 Win. I laughed out loud,, then he said, it dropped right on the spot. So, it's not what rifle to use in for moose in bear country, it's how small is too small for moose in bear country. I knew a guy that shot a moose , 2 black bear and a sheep on one trip. I asked what caliber. He said a .243 WIn. Not that I care.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by ironbender

Dead, deader, deadest.

Where does ded fit in ? it might be a less violent dead. A guy's dad I knew shot a grizzly when he lived in Alaska. I asked , what did he shoot it with , a 338 winchester short super mag.? He said, no, he used his .308 Win. I laughed out loud,, then he said, it dropped right on the spot. So, it's not what rifle to use in for moose in bear country, it's how small is too small for moose in bear country. I knew a guy that shot a moose , 2 black bear and a sheep on one trip. I asked what caliber. He said a .243 WIn. Not that I care.

It can certainly be doneā€¦ā€¦maybe even with a CM! šŸ™€ Though, there are better tools in the hardware storeā€¦..when ā€œworst caseā€ is reality! So how often does someone have a ā€œworst caseā€ scenarioā€¦ā€¦likely never! But as Clint so clearly stated ā€œ Do ya feel luckyā€¦ā€¦weā€™ll do yaā€? šŸ˜‚ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by memtb

Iā€™m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest this. Philā€™s rifle has a lot of miles on it from being ā€œon callā€ for a worst case scenario. Going farther out on the limbā€¦ā€¦if he thought a lesser cartridge was just as effective in a ā€œworse case scenarioā€ā€¦..it would have the recognition rather than his .458!

I may be very, very wrongā€¦.but JMO! memtb

Would be interesting to hear what 458 has to say about that. I allways thought he quit carrying the 06 because his clients had low marksmanship capabilities and were getting worse. Just because you got the money to afford the best hunts availible don't automatically mean you have the skills and ability to do a good job at the shooting. So the 458 was to insure everyone got home in 1 piece. Iihht be wrong too but I'd sure like to hear Phil's take on it..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 04/06/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have killed an awful lot of bear with numerous calibers from 9mm parabellum to the 505 Gibbs. What I have learned is that the difference between bore size, bullet weight , velocity and muzzle energy can make a difference, but not nearly as much as most people imagine.
Bullet placement and performance make the greatest difference. But the more experience I gather from experimenting with other large bores, the more I have come to appreciate the advantages of the standard 458 Win!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hear here !

The only moose I shot in Alaska was with a .458 Winchester Magnum.
Same goes for a single hoary marmot.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have killed an awful lot of bear with numerous calibers from 9mm parabellum to the 505 Gibbs. What I have learned is that the difference between bore size, bullet weight , velocity and muzzle energy can make a difference, but not nearly as much as most people imagine.
Bullet placement and performance make the greatest difference. But the more experience I gather from experimenting with other large bores, the more I have come to appreciate the advantages of the standard 458 Win!
Originally Posted by 458Win
Worth repeating.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Hear here !

I'd say for the moose, you had enough rifle.

For the marmot, I'd not be taking too many chances like that. Your luck could damn well run out.....grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Hear here !

I'd say for the moose, you had enough rifle.

For the marmot, I'd not be taking too many chances like that. Your luck could damn well run out.....grin
Who let the comedian in the room? Perfect fit! šŸ˜‰

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just for the sake of conversation, what Sheep rifle in Bear Country and Blacktail rifle in Bear country?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
7mm rem mag or 300 win mag

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,718
Posts18,494,638
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.