Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More Than 1,000 Yellowstone Bison Killed As Harsh Winter Pushes Herds Out Of The Park

An exceptionally hard winter that has been hammering Wyoming’s wildlife outside of Yellowstone Park has also been pushing more Bison out of the Park and into Montana. Roughly 1,000 bison have been killed by hunters, mostly from Native American tribes.
Mark Heinz

Yellowstone Park tourists sometimes must learn the hard way that bison are essentially organic tanks with hooves instead of tracks.

And yet the current winter has been so bad, even the mighty bison are being driven out of the park on the Montana side, where roughly 1,000 have been shot by hunters.

Culling bison is sometimes necessary, and most of the killing this year has been through special hunts for members of several Native American tribes, Montana State Veterinarian Marty Zaluski told Cowboy State Daily.

The number of bison fleeing the park is unprecedented, National Park Service spokeswoman Morgan Warthin told cowboy State Daily.

"The winter of 2022/2023 has been the largest migration out of the park in recent history (decades); likely due to heavy snows and very cold temperatures causing large numbers of bison to move to lower elevations in the Gardiner Basin to find food," she said.

Bison began leaving Yellowstone in large numbers in December, Warthin said.

That month, 13 bison, likely driven by hunger to the roadside, were struck and killed by a semi-truck near West Yellowstone, Montana. Zaluski told Cowboy State Daily at the time that it was the worst such accident he'd ever seen.

Winter Hits Hard

Montana's regular bison hunting season ran from Nov. 15- Feb. 15, and only a handful of the huge critters were killed by non-tribal hunters then, Zaluski said.

The Yellowstone Herd was up to roughly 6,000 bison when this winter hit, he said.

As one of the worst in recent memories, this winter has killed tens of thousands of antelope and deer in central and southwest Wyoming, and there have been reports that large numbers of elk which are usually hardy winter survivors have also been dying.

Wildlife officials in northwest Colorado reported similar winterkill losses.

And Yellowstone hasnt escaped either, Zaluski said. Unusually heavy snowfall has covered much of the park.

"West Yellowstone is buried," he said.

To make matters worse a warm spell in December caused some of the surface snow to melt, only to freeze back over in a hard crust when temperatures plunged again.

"Bison are incredibly resilient and by virtue of their sheer mass can dig and pound through snow to get to food that other species just cant reach," Zaluski said. However, the snow in Yellowstone has been so bad, even they have decided to give up and move on.

How badly the park's other wildlife has been suffering isn't known, Warthin said, though apparently some bison have perished.

"Regarding winterkill numbers, we don't do park-wide surveys for winterkill. However, we are seeing some winterkill during our wolf study monitoring (both bison and elk) and expect more given the severity of the winter," she said.

John Dutton Would Be Very Upset

Bison crossing into Montana has long been a point of contention, particularly for that state's ranchers.

A large portion of the Yellowstone Bison herd carries brucellosis a disease that causes pregnant cattle to spontaneously abort their calves. So, ranchers dont want the bison anywhere near their cows.

Montana established a "tolerance zone," where bison are free to wander out of the park and into the Gardiner Basin, without the fear of cattle being infected, Warthin said.

However, the severe winter has been driving large numbers well beyond the tolerance zone, Zaluski said.

They've even been pushing into the Paradise Valley region which is the setting for the fictional Dutton Family Ranch in the popular streaming service series "Yellowstone." So, it's likely that the family patriarch, John Dutton (played by Kevin Costner) wouldn't be pleased by the current turn of events.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pure speculations on that last bit.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can tags be bought?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. Thanks for posting.
If the winters done a number on the Buffalo, which are pretty good survivors, lord knows how many other species in the park took a hit too.
I read something a while back about Yellowstone wanting to open up a Season for Buff hunts. I believe the number was around 900 in order to maintain the balance of the herd vs the habitat.
I don’t know how many Buff reside in the park, but the number also has effect on antelope, deer, elk, and others as well.
Custer State Park In SD has I believe, 5000 Buff. Every fall they round them up and sell off some calf’s to maintain their balance. (I’d love to see those cowboys on horseback and 4 wheelers do the roundup!) cool
Wonder what the mortality was in Roosevelt Park as well.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A truck driver couldn't see 13 bison standing in the road?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MPat70
A truck driver couldn't see 13 bison standing in the road?
That seems like a lot but I can believe it especially if coming around a curve or in a storm. Inside of the park anyway. They line up hundreds deep on the road and move only when they’re ready too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I lived there. You could hear about the Buffalo issues every morning almost as I drove to work.
I always wondered why they didn't sell tags.

I'm good with the Trible people getting the meat.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they actually eat it and don't waste it! Seems like a lot of buffalo killed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Can tags be bought?
https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/regulations/bison

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you had a tag, I wonder if it was bound by zones?

I didn't read everything, re: was posted on the net; regarding this.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Comanches will kill them!
Then the squaws make teepees from the hides.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think about this deal a lot…

If u grew up fishing with live bait…….

And u was fishing for two weeks….

Would u put two week’s worth of minnows in yer pail?

No

They would all die…..

Fish and Game needs to realize how big a pail they got…….when it’s at its smallest.

Last edited by Angus1895; 04/06/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I think about this deal a lot…

If u grew up fishing with live bait…….

And u was fishing for two weeks….

Would u put two week’s worth of minnows in yer pail?

No

They would all die…..

Fish and Game needs to realize how big a pail they got…….when it’s at its smallest.
And what's your solution for treaty rights killing of bison?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The pail must’ve shrunk?

No?

They moving cuz they…….(starving) ….hungry….

Not an ideal harvest event IMO

Last edited by Angus1895; 04/06/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They don't have their ancient migration routes anymore. Of course a lot are going to winter kill.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
1000 dead buffler?

That's a good start.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ole Buzz probably putting on the war paint and head dress as we speak 😉

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About the wolves one could only hope..............

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
OK, what's the typical harvest/kill?

Last edited by TimberRunner; 04/06/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I heard on the radio yesterday that it was 1500.

And the phags can't say chit because the natives made up a big portion of the kills.

TFF

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.