Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just bolted the Brownell's barreled action and a Stocky's second together. On the list for another of HPK's bottom metal. It's so good I'll probably end up swapping the one I have back and forth from ARC to Grendel.

It's been a few years since I've played with anything 6mm. Anyone used the Scenar 105 at ARC speeds, out to ~300 yards, on deer? I don't need to reinvent the wheel...it may be hard to outdo the 103 ELDX. I prefer to kill steel with the same bullet that will be hunted...I'm lazy like that.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mini 22” sporter; stocky’s second cf; factory mag - 4# 14 oz on my scale.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Just bolted the Brownell's barreled action and a Stocky's second together. On the list for another of HPK's bottom metal. It's so good I'll probably end up swapping the one I have back and forth from ARC to Grendel.

It's been a few years since I've played with anything 6mm. Anyone used the Scenar 105 at ARC speeds, out to ~300 yards, on deer? I don't need to reinvent the wheel...it may be hard to outdo the 103 ELDX. I prefer to kill steel with the same bullet that will be hunted...I'm lazy like that.

Jay

I don't have any experience with the 105 scenar in the ARC but I used them for 1 season out of a 6mm Creedmoor. We killed 4 whitetail 2 pronghorn and 1 mule deer with them. I can tell you for a fact that they are pretty darn hard. If you catch shoulders they do very well. Behind the shoulder, expect a pretty good death run as about the only expansion will be in the far side lung.

Out west the farther death runs weren't an issue but here at home it made some problems. I went back to the 108 eld. Just my .02

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks Brandon. That's what I was looking for regarding the 105.

Assuming you've had good on-game performance with the 108's? I'm always skittish with the eldm's and amax's. I know others had great performance out of them but I had an issue with a 75 Amax on a coyote that I couldn't explain. If it had been a deer it would have been really, really ugly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Picked mine up from the LGS last night. Can confirm that the model Hicks had 63 of, is in fact the 22" Sporter. Haven't had a chance to give a real close look, but I know the stock will end up being replaced. Unfortunately Stocky's is out of seconds, and OG is 3-5 months out according to my converation with Wayne earlier in the week. cry

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So, if I can play Captain Obvious, it seems likely they would have even more trouble at the slower speeds of the ARC.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Picked mine up from the LGS last night. Can confirm that the model Hick had 63 of, is in fact the 22" Sporter. Haven't had a chance to give a real close look, but I know the stock will end up being replaced. Unfortunately Stocky's is out of seconds, and OG is 3-5 months out according tomy converation with Wayne earlier in the week. cry

Appreciated.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Thanks Brandon. That's what I was looking for regarding the 105.

Assuming you've had good on-game performance with the 108's? I'm always skittish with the eldm's and amax's. I know others had great performance out of them but I had an issue with a 75 Amax on a coyote that I couldn't explain. If it had been a deer it would have been really, really ugly.

I haven't had a problem with the 108s or the old 105 amax at around 3000 fps, they might not exit all the time but I've never had one splash. I'd not be afraid to high shoulder any buck in my area with one, even inside 100 yards. I'd keep off the humerus though.

As to the 75s, I guess I've been lucky, even at 22-250 ai speeds. They might not dig real deep but I've never had a splash.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Just placed an order for a Stockys sporter CF second. They gave a $60 off of reg price of $299 for total of $239 before s/h. They show it as a back order but last time I ordered a second that showed back order I got it in a week. Fingers Crossed !!!

Last edited by TxJW; 04/07/23.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
So, if I can play Captain Obvious, it seems likely they would have even more trouble at the slower speeds of the ARC.

That's what I'd guess too Pappy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TxJW
Just placed an order for a Stockys sporter CF second. They gave a $60 off of reg price of $299 for total of $239 before s/h. They show it as a back order but last time I ordered a second that showed back order I got it in a week. Fingers Crossed !!!
I just did the same thing. I was going to hold off on a CF second because I plan to reshape my existing stock Ala MtnBoomer, but with a $60 discount at stake, I jumped. Guess now I have to order a rifle and BM for the new stock.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I just did the same thing. I was going to hold off on a CF second because I plan to reshape my existing stock Ala MtnBoomer, but with a $60 discount at stake, I jumped. Guess now I have to order a rifle and BM for the new stock.
This is exactly how I got into my first one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Guess it might be worth a try . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Just got shipping notice, so they are in stock!!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dude270
Originally Posted by Pappy348

That's what I'd guess too Pappy.

Yep, that was my assumption.

I'll just default to the 108's. Thanks again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just got shipping notice, so they are in stock!!!
I got an order confirmation with a backorder statement. 😔

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I think you will be a lot happier with a tipped bullet.

The 103 probably isn't a bad bet either

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Seems I got a back order notice the first time and a shipping notice just a day or do later. So , there is hope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems I got a back order notice the first time and a shipping notice just a day or do later. So , there is hope.
I just got an email saying that it's on its way.🙂

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First impressions of the Howa Mini 6 ARC:

Well, I've had a chance to look mine over. For money, it's a decent value. Stock is decent, albeit Tupperware. If alternatives weren't available, I could live with it - after some paint! (I was able to put a Stocky's second on B/O for $60 off).
Gonna play with the trigger and see where it's at and if it can be lightened. Little bit stiff for my liking.
Pulled the Vortex off it and will trip it here in a couple of days. Got a SWFA and a couple of Leupolds that can take it's place. Ordered a EGW pic rail. Came with Talley, or Talley-like mounts ringmounts. Won't work for me and my thermal scope mount.
Definitely need to chop the bbl. If for no other reason than to get a little bit more of a shoulder for the can to butt up against.

Bottom line, to this point...one could do WAY worse. YMMW.

Edit/Added. No sooner posted this and I got an email from Stocky's with a tracking # for the mini second I ordered and was under the impression it would be a while since they were 'back ordered'. It IS a good Friday.

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.