Print Thread
Hop To
#18320740 04/07/23
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am going back well over 50 years, 1966 to be exact, and reuniting myself with a Savage 340 in .222 Remington. I am a bit excited to say the least. It was the first new centerfire rifle I every purchased. Had a Tasco 3x9 mounted on it. The old Tasco where the cross hairs got larger and moved to the left as the magnification increased. Different this time with a Burris variable. When I pick it up I will post a couple of photos. Not the 99 family but still Savage with that unbeatable Savage barrel.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Very cool, I picked up one in 222 (actually a really late 840 to be technicaly) a few years back and I love it. 😁

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a 340D in 222. have had it for 50 years. belonged to my late oldest brother.
also have a first year 340 in 30-30.
for years i couldn't get the 222 to shoot as well as i thought it should.
a month ago i got manic and deep cleaned all of my shooting barrels after inspecting the bores with a scope.
had green patches coming out of the 222 for about an hour.
finally got it clean. now it shoots sub moa.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My Dad had one in .222. Never did better than 2 MOA accuracy with every kind of factory ammo out there. He used to cuss a storm about that gun, but he kept trying. When I inherited it I tried every trick in the book and about the best I got it to was 1 1/2 MOA. Down the road it went, even though it was my Dad's gun.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
It's cause he cussed it. Savages have a delicate disposition.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
My Dad had one in .222. Never did better than 2 MOA accuracy with every kind of factory ammo out there. He used to cuss a storm about that gun, but he kept trying. When I inherited it I tried every trick in the book and about the best I got it to was 1 1/2 MOA. Down the road it went, even though it was my Dad's gun.

Slow twist maybe? Mine is 1-16, maybe a touch slower. My patch/rod technique isn't real precise, but it confirmed my suspicions that it was slow. I got it cheap from a guy my Dad knows because it wouldn't shoot... and with most factory offerings, it won't. Remington green box 50gr and PPU 50gr groups (rifle came with a couple partial boxes of factory ammo) look like a drunk blasting at the paper with a shotgun.

30-40 grainers shoot great, but by the time you get to 50s it turns anywhere from iffy to terrible. Some of the new, high tech, megasleek 50s will keyhole from it. Ugly old thing loves the little 30gr Barnes VG. They're about as aerodynamic as a cinder block, but they'll bughole at 100yds. Makes for a fun farmyard pest blaster, but not well suited to long range work.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My dad had a Savage 322 in 22 Hornet that shot ok, but not a tack driver. One of his friends had a 340 in 222 REM that was outstandingly accurate

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Enjoy your 340. I keep mine handy for targets of opportunity around the house.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just recently got this 340 222 off Gunbroker for a bit more than I wanted to pay, but it did have a scope mount that now holds a great old Weaver K4 60B.

Except for the forever-pull trigger, I love the gun and found a second magazine. I hope you have as much fun with it as I'm having.

ALERT...Ravenrock has excellent Norma 222 brass in stock.
https://ravenrocksprecision.com/222-rem-brass-50-ct/

ALSO: If anyone knows where I could get a complete 325-A bolt for my stepson's boltless 30-30 I would be appreciative.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Looks in similar condition to the one I purchased. It has a cheap post and crosshair scope on it which will be replaced with a Burris variable. I am looking forward to getting it to shoot, which it will for sure.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Long time friend, shooting, hunting, fishing has a 340 he bought sometime in the early 70's in .222 Rem. Accurate and successful on many fox, coyote, and other critters over the years.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've owned a number of 340s and one Stevens 325. They were all in .30-30 and while not benchrest accurate, were better than I expected. All of them would put 3 shots into 1-1/2 inches at 100 yards with the right ammo and the one I still have does a lot better than that when I'm on my game.

A friend had one in .225 Winchester, which he'd owned for years but no longer shot. I sure would like to have owned that rifle, but I did wonder whether that was a little too much pressure for the action.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I gotta get around and get it limbered up and a couple of photos. Without looking I think the scope is an Ultra which I have never heard of. Real neat post and crosshair but I don't know if it is any good or not.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I gotta get around and get it limbered up and a couple of photos. Without looking I think the scope is an Ultra which I have never heard of. Real neat post and crosshair but I don't know if it is any good or not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remington40x
I've owned a number of 340s and one Stevens 325. They were all in .30-30 and while not benchrest accurate, were better than I expected. All of them would put 3 shots into 1-1/2 inches at 100 yards with the right ammo and the one I still have does a lot better than that when I'm on my game.

A friend had one in .225 Winchester, which he'd owned for years but no longer shot. I sure would like to have owned that rifle, but I did wonder whether that was a little too much pressure for the action.

I agree with your thoughts about the 225 WIN running right at or damn close to the actual safe pressure ceiling for the Savage 340 series action. I've owned a couple of 340Vs in 225 WIN, but never owned them long enough to want to shoot them, as much for the safe pressure issue as for the miserable Weaver side-mount that set the line of sight so high that you're need a face like Jay Leno's to get cheek weld.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Got it in my grubby paws. In the process of removing the scope and replacing it. The current one is interesting as it is a Valor scope. Post and crosshair. I am putting a Burris variable on it but I need to figure out what the Valor is. I will try to get some range results posted after I get it bore sighted and limbered up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dallased
Got it in my grubby paws. In the process of removing the scope and replacing it. The current one is interesting as it is a Valor scope. Post and crosshair. I am putting a Burris variable on it but I need to figure out what the Valor is. I will try to get some range results posted after I get it bore sighted and limbered up.

Valor scopes are not bad. They were Jap-made and nicely finished with good machine work. The optics are about like Jap-made Bushnell Banners. I've used this one for several years on a Valmet 312 12ga/222. It's a straight 4X with tapered crosshair.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (19rabbit52, 163bc, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,426
Posts18,528,391
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.