Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 66 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 65 66
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad- that sucks!! Truck still work? Looks like you really nailed the sucker. Last deer I hit was a big buck too, but he ran out and hit ME on the side of my old truck. I never saw him; scared the crap out of me as I thought I'd hit someone or something big had fallen off my truck or something.

When I first got my '06 Tundra, first new truck I've ever bought, it was a disaster magnet. Trees dropped limbs on me, I somehow picked up some fresh paint off the road, and then with under 5000 miles on it a crankhead broke in, smashed the window, scratched the door all up, destroyed the dash getting my locked glove box open, and stole a pistol to boot. I've since installed a metal pistol safe in the center console... anyway... things do seem to have calmed down since then but I was swearing it'd be the last new truck I ever bought for a while there! :-)

Is it gonna screw up your hunting or do you have a backup?

Would sure be nice to have a GOOD football game today...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Balmy 44 degrees here west of Alpine Oregon. It was 24 degrees at daybreak. My brother and I went elk hunting this morning, didn't see a thing but 4 deer.

Happy turkey day everyone.

Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, it runs fine... it's a toyota grin.

In fact, all I did was pull the quarter panel out so the tire had clearance and went elk hunting. I wasn't going to let a suicidal deer wreck my hunt...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Love the Toy's myself.... we have my Tundra and Land Cruiser. 25,600 miles on the Tundra now and I have yet to even change a light bulb!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The colder it is the better the elk hunting

Saddlesore must be right. It was 75 degrees here in northern Virginia yesterday, and I didn't see one elk.

John

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I haven't been following the thread; how did we get from hunting "hot" to Toyota's and the weather in Virginia???

Just curious.............. smirk

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I usually hunt cold in an Isuzu and expect if it does get colder here with a bit more snow I will be able to see several hundred head of elk in a month or so. grin

On a more serious note the first time I remember this discussion it was on the old coffee shop and if I'm not mistaken was stated by ole "Backpack Hunter". Several who participated in this thread did so on that one also. No conclusion was reached then and none has since that and none ever will. You can make book on that!! cool

BTW, has anyone ever run into Backpack Hunter recently? I think his name was Don something. I always enjoyed his posting.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
C
C
Yep

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad
Thanks Jeff, I decided to whack a 150 class Whitetail yesterday morning on the way to elk hunt instead:

[Linked Image]

Dont'cha you just hate it when a deer runs into your truck?.......... cry

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I can't believe this thread is 41 pages long.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Change your settings...I've only got 9 pages!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
We just need someone to stir the pot again... then we could make it to 41 pages!

(KIDDING!)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image]

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cowbell?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
This will come back againby June '08. It gets hotter than politics.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
What is this thing called a 'safety'?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you are packing a gun you're packing a gun. If you're hunting you should be hot in the chamber, muzzle forward if you're the lead man, muzzle up if you're not.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, quite a read on cold chamber vs. hot...again.

I skipped this thread at the time because I have read many like it in the past. Inquiring as to why SH had left the forum I was directed to this thread. I'm still not sure why he would leave the forum over this, being an old pro at the banter himself.

As far as the subject matter, I'm one of the few here that isn't even qualified to give an opinion, and one of the few to actually learn a little something from such threads. I have come away from threads such as these not with an absolute theory on the subject, but hunting method that incorporates many of the opinions here.

My 700 will hold four rounds, but I only load it with three because I find it makes it much easier to slide the bolt back and push the rounds down into the magazine when need be...besides, who deserves four shots at something? smile

There are situations where I feel my chances are high that I am about to jump a deer, I'll slide one in, safety on, thumb at the ready and take two steps and pause with the rifle at the ready. If I am out in the open or climbing, I slide the bolt back and push the rounds down. I have yet to lose track of whether or not I had one in or out.

I'll be the first to admit to not being a good hunter, either are the guys I hunt with, but I'll still go with them for they are good friends. The first time I hunted with one such friend, on two occasions his sling slipped off his shoulder and walking behind him I found myself with a birds eye view of his barrel, so I'm not gonna argue that accidents don't happen; especially with casual hunters who only hunt three or four times a year. On the other hand I'm not prepared to say I will never slip one in the chamber when the time feels right...it doesn't have to be either or.

Many speak about being good with the bolt at crunch time where I have become good at chambering a round and un-chambering a round when the situation calls, and good with keeping track the state of my rifle.

I think there are correct answers on both sides of the fence here and months ago decided to take advantage by using the best of both sides...so there! smile

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
We are having a little dustup on this subject on another thread... I'll go grab a link to that thread for anyone who wants to check it out, or heck, join the fray.

I will go first: yes, I hunt with a round in the chamber.

-jeff
I read this question and I'm replying without reading any other post in this thread. Yes I hunt with a round in the chamber. When I carry one of my Glocks, be it concealed carry or open carry at camp, I carry with one in the chamber as well.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
NYH2,

Thanks for playing!

The Cliff Notes version is: about a 75/25 ratio of guys who hunt with one vs. guys who don't... but the "cold" camp has some very... uh... shall we say "vocal" proponents and that resulted in an... ahem... entertaining thread. If you've got some time, read through it!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 21 of 66 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 338reddog, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 25 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,915
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.