Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TSIBINDI
...Straight comb on '51 is NOT unusual.

No one said it was. Unless I missed that?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here are pictures of my 1950 Pre 64, Model 70 in a lowly 270 W. give you an idea what to look for.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
If everything else checks out it’s definitely possible that the MC stock is correct on S/N 195,5XX. The receiver went through the Polishing Room and was serialized in September of 1951 and it’s more than likely it was assembled and left the factory sometime in 1952. Highly unlikely that Winchester would have catalogued MC stocks in the 1952 catalog if some hadn’t already been manufactured and were already in the pipeline. Additionally, the availability of MC stocks by Special Order was catalogued a couple years before 1952.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Here are pictures of my 1950 Pre 64, Model 70 in a lowly 270 W. give you an idea what to look for.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sweet rifle there J. Very clean. Great rifle to use irons with. Assuming it's got the original low comb stock. 50/50 on whether it has a recoil pad.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sweet rifle there J. Very clean. Great rifle to use irons with. Assuming it's got the original low comb stock. 50/50 on whether it has a recoil pad.

Picture of the stock not cut all original.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It is very clean. It’s a beautiful rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Picture of the stock not cut all original.
[Linked Image]

Very nice man!! Great find..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by rsiros
Anything to look for to see if stock is original to the gun? Fitment?

The easiest way to tell is by looking at the checkering panels and the shape of the stock. There are telltale signs in the finish and color as well. If it retains the original finish. I always look at the butt plates too. Those switched to composite after late '58. I've never seen a 1951 with a montecarlo stock either, like you were alluding to. Doesn't seem possible, but anything could have happened with the earlier Winchester manufacturing. They had clean up periods, where they had some mixed up parts too. Of course, a pre war is not going to have a montecarlo stock. That may have a custom/non factory stock. Check the tang (should be a clover leaf tang), and see how the stock fits in that area.

All this pre war and model 70 talk is making me want to go and buy the pre war I saw for $650 the other day.. after selling the scope that's on it, I'd be into the rifle for $500.00. Those are the kinds of deals I find. The last all original std wt I saw was made in 1950. That one was $700.00, last fall.

A pre war for $650? I'd hurt myself running for that one if it was decent.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rsiros: The "solid bolt" feature on that Standard Rifle makes it a more desirable gun.
If you are going to Hunt with it the non-factory bolt and follower jeweling may also be a plus.
Sight hoods are relatively cheap and the replacement sight will be a plus for that "Hunting Rifle" if it is to be scoped.
My research shows that this Rifle is a "pre-Viet Nam war" Model having been manufactured on or right about February 26th 1,951.
Enjoy that fine, solid, handsome, safe and classic Rifle (if you get it!).
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
rsiros Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the information! When you say “solid bolt” are you referring to the one with the Monte Carlo stock?
I’ll definitely post some pictures tomorrow morning for you all to assess.

IC B3

R
rsiros Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Great looking rifle! Thanks for the pictures… those will definitely come in handy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the information! When you say “solid bolt” are you referring to the one with the Monte Carlo stock?
I’ll definitely post some pictures tomorrow morning for you all to assess.

If I'm not mistaken, we were talking 2 different rifles. Can you clarify what the serial # is of the first rifle we were discussing. That way some of these guys and myself have some clarification. I'm thinking some of them are stating the first rifle was made in 1951, when it may not have been.

BSA MAGA
R
rsiros Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Sorry for the confusion.

Rifle 1 is serial #1795** (1950) and is the one with a straight stock and multiple pictures.

Rifle 2 is serial #1955** (1951) and has the Monte Carlo stock and one super crappy picture. This is the rifle I will see at the auction tomorrow.

Last edited by rsiros; 04/07/23.
R
rsiros Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Didn’t even bother to take pictures. The stock was light on one side and 2 shades darker on the other… looked like it was partially refinished or something.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Don’t rush into a purchase, you’ll eventually find the right one, there’s a lot of nice ‘06’s out there.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
rsiros Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Yep… thanks again for the advice. I’ll keep looking!

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
...The stock was light on one side and 2 shades darker on the other… looked like it was partially refinished or something.

More likely because it was hung on a wall and sunlight bleached the finish on one side.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
M
@@ 79S I really like the grain in the wood on your rifle. Very nice!!!!!

Last edited by M14tn; 04/08/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry for the confusion.

Rifle 1 is serial #1795** (1950) and is the one with a straight stock and multiple pictures.

Rifle 2 is serial #1955** (1951) and has the Monte Carlo stock and one super crappy picture. This is the rifle I will see at the auction tomorrow.

Thanks buddy. That is what I thought. The second rifle you pictured does not look like the original stock, like I said previously. That is based off of the 1 poor quality picture, but to me it looks like a stock from '59-1963. In your later posts, you mention the stock being lighter in color on one side. Without looking at pictures, that would also lead me to believe it is a later stock (59-1963), as I said in an earlier post, there were color differences as per era. You'll see that when someone tries to refinish them.

Not a problem that you didn't take pictures, but I can almost guarantee that stock was not original to that rifle (I'm talking about the second rifle made in '51 here guys), also as I stated earlier. The first rifle you had questions about is still a great buy. Let the guys not get confused about that one, that is the low comb 1950 30-06. The one I gave the year made and cartridge, without even seeing the serial #.

Too bad about the second rifle you mention, but I kind of thought it was going to go that way with that one, once you looked at it better.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Don’t rush into a purchase, you’ll eventually find the right one, there’s a lot of nice ‘06’s out there.
Absolutely. Far and away the most common chambering; the right one will show up with patience.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,690
Posts18,494,080
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.