Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So a ewe dropped two lambs between midnight and 7:00 am Friday morning.

What I think happened is that my “possessive” live stock guardian dog assumed possession of one of the lambs and was licking on it, so now the ewe is rejecting it. While simultaneously the two dogs are fighting over who gets to protect the lamb. The lamb seems to prefer the “normal” dog, and the possessive one is going batty over this.

So now I’m bottle feeding a lamb and trying to keep the dogs from putting expensive holes in one another…

The dogs will return to normal in a few days, as this has happened before (though not to the point of me bottle feeding). But I am so not looking forward to bottle feeding for the next 12 weeks. At least there are no diaper changes involved.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What’re your guardians?

Having critters is a pita, but I can’t imagine a fulfilling life without them

MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Seems like the dogs are more trouble than they're worth.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by justin10mm

Till they’re not.

MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
An you wash the lamb and put it back with the ewe?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's that most wonderful time of the year!

Full moon and we had damn near a dozen heifers calf in two days.

Which normally isn't a big deal except we were out of room at the heifer hotel.

Still a little chilly(wet) at night so we try to set every new baby up with a dry spot of straw.

3 bum calves on the jug now.

Two rejected twins out of the old cow herd and a calf from a heifer who was mental and didn't want her calf.

Baby steer calves are $500-600, heifers $400-500.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put that lamb/ewe in a small pen and stake the dogs just outside. Her protective hormones might just kick in.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/08/23.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
An you wash the lamb and put it back with the ewe?

Wiped it with a wet rag, and tried getting the other lamb’s scent on it as well. I was able to restrain the ewe so that the lamb could nurse off her as well for the colostrum.

But the lamb still wants to run around with the dogs, and the ewe keeps butting it, soooo….

Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Till they’re not.

We saw a fox the first night we were here. Absolutely no four legged predators since then. Everybody keeps telling me about all the lions and coyotes and bears (oh my!) around here, but I haven’t seen any sign on our little property since we moved in last November.

But yeah, these dogs are a pain in the ass. Like the night a couple weeks ago when the power went out and a tree took a section of fence down and one got out and I put him back in and looked for the break but then both of them heard something so they both bolted so after I got the fence right I was going to drive and look for them but there were two trees down across the driveway and it was 10:00 pm and snowing and I’m a puss so I just called for them every two hours until daylight and then was feeding the sheep and goats before breaking out the chainsaw to go looking but then they showed up while I was in the pen so I told them stay while I dumped the hay in the feeder and when I turned around they had bolted again but it was ok because just as I was finishing cutting the second tree my neighbor called and said they had come to visit their Rottweilers and I got them and was lucky again because only one puked in the Sequoia on the 3 minute drive home.

TL;DR: Friggin’ critters….

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ewe has a bit of work ahead of ewe with the bottle feeding and all.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My 3 calves from my Long Horn Cows so far no Bummers Rio7

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag

My youngest, after I told him we’d be bottle feeding the lamb for the next 12 weeks or so said “ Doesn’t sound like a we problem, sounds like a ewe problem.” 14 years old and already with the dad jokes.

Originally Posted by RIO7

Dang pretty calves there RIO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fuggin critters title had me thinking y'all had caught wind of that chic in Mississippi who was doing videos of her and her german shepherd doing the devils business........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not that there's anything wrong with that

Last edited by SCgman1; 04/08/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great Pyrenees? We have 2 8 Month old brothers here. They are "independently minded".

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by 12344mag

My youngest, after I told him we’d be bottle feeding the lamb for the next 12 weeks or so said “ Doesn’t sound like a we problem, sounds like a ewe problem.” 14 years old and already with the dad jokes.

Originally Posted by RIO7

Dang pretty calves there RIO.

Lol, awesome kid!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Great Pyrenees? We have 2 8 Month old brothers here. They are "independently minded".

Heard a story of a man who was nearly killed when his Pyrenees turned on him after he tried to take a baby pig away from it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

Heard a story of a man who was nearly killed when his Pyrenees turned on him after he tried to take a baby pig away from it.
That was a problem with the only Great Pyrenees I ever owned. He protected the goats just fine and would herd them to the barn at dark but he killed a chicken. When I approached to see what he was chewing on he made a serious run at me. I went inside and sat down to ponder what to do and since he had already been aggressive toward my wife's nephew for being around the goats the answer was clear

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Till they’re not.

They literally just paid off a bit of their upkeep. Lion, in a tree, in the rain, looking at the sheep and goats in the pen. The dogs were barking enough that I had to go investigate, and they were fixated on the tree. I couldn't see anything from outside the pen, and so walked on up near the tree, expecting a turkey or owl or something like they usually get all worked up about. Nope, not this time.

Good boys... They're getting hamburger for dinner tomorrow.

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 04/18/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had several Great Pyrenees and only had one incident of any aggression towards a person. One day my neighbor that deer hunted with me, brought His 19 year old Grandson hunting, and he killed an 8 point buck. We brought it to the house and dressed it, but the neighbor wanted to change to a different van as the one there had carpet in the back. They went and got his other van that did not, and came back. I had gone into the house to get a cup of coffee and did not hear them when they returned. The Grandson told His granfather to stay in the truck and He would get the deer. The dog did not know the Grandson and got between Him and the deer, and growled, and as He tried to get by, grabbed Him by the leg, pretty hard, but the kid had carhardt overalls on so no real damage. When Grandpa saw what was happening, and got out of the truck, the dog saw someone that He knew and everything was OK. I thought He did a fine job but the kid as not real happy. The dog only bit after a good warning and only grabbed as a last resort, and then only kinda held on to stop what He assumed was a theft. Way I see it anyway. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have had several Great Pyrenees and only had one incident of any aggression towards a person. One day my neighbor that deer hunted with me, brought His 19 year old Grandson hunting, and he killed an 8 point buck. We brought it to the house and dressed it, but the neighbor wanted to change to a different van as the one there had carpet in the back. They went and got his other van that did not, and came back. I had gone into the house to get a cup of coffee and did not hear them when they returned. The Grandson told His granfather to stay in the truck and He would get the deer. The dog did not know the Grandson and got between Him and the deer, and growled, and as He tried to get by, grabbed Him by the leg, pretty hard, but the kid had carhardt overalls on so no real damage. When Grandpa saw what was happening, and got out of the truck, the dog saw someone that He knew and everything was OK. I thought He did a fine job but the kid as not real happy. The dog only bit after a good warning and only grabbed as a last resort, and then only kinda held on to stop what He assumed was a theft. Way I see it anyway. miles

That dog is a keeper.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,777
Posts18,477,000
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.