Print Thread
Hop To
C
CRJ1960 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
We have our first bluebird clutch of this year. The parents are bug catching machines. Nest boxes are cheap and easy to put up in the yard. If you don’t already have one, put one up and enjoy the show . Boxes need to be cleaned out every winter before nesting season begins. Down south you can get 3-4 clutches a year if it doesn’t get too hot. Sorry for the low quality pic, hard to get a decent picture with a cellphone.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What does the nest box look like?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

C
CRJ1960 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I bought this one at a local farmer’s market. TSC carries a decent one as well. The males are very territorial so additional boxes need to be spaced a couple hundred yards apart.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read the title quickly - though maybe someone was having drive train trouble with a school bus.

Nice pics, though.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Peep, peep 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep two boxes up. For several years, we would get bluebirds in one of the boxes and tree swallows in the other. That worked well until a neighbor put up a big 8 hole bird condo that house sparrows took over. The house sparrows quickly drove the bluebirds away.

Last year I got pissed and declared war on the sparrows. I bought a trap and caught over 40 of those suckers. A pair of bluebirds did manage to raise a brood last year. This year I've got bluebirds in one box and sparrows in the other. I've been baiting my trap site but don't have the trap out yet. Soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool pic OP. I don’t see many bluebirds but we did have at least one last summer hanging out around the back yard for awhile.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They've not moved this far north yet. The most I've seen here was three clutch attempts by a pair of the Mountain versions. First clutch froze out though.

Usually have to thin out the English Sparrows who are the first to usurp the houses. They are bug catching fools. Usually have something sighted before even leaving the house post.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/08/23.

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Southerntier8
I keep two boxes up. For several years, we would get bluebirds in one of the boxes and tree swallows in the other. That worked well until a neighbor put up a big 8 hole bird condo that house sparrows took over. The house sparrows quickly drove the bluebirds away.

Last year I got pissed and declared war on the sparrows. I bought a trap and caught over 40 of those suckers. A pair of bluebirds did manage to raise a brood last year. This year I've got bluebirds in one box and sparrows in the other. I've been baiting my trap site but don't have the trap out yet. Soon.

I made the mistake of putting up houses near the woods. House wrens raised havoc with the nesting Blue Birds.

Some years the Black flies are bad and kill the young in the nest.

Go Ahead And Backup
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve got 6 boxes out and two active nest so far this spring it’s a little early here in Indiana. Usually all of them fill up or at least 5 out of 6.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Had a pair of Western Bluebirds looking in on one of my nest boxes yesterday.. which reminded me I haven't emptied the nest materials out from last year.
Think I'm too late?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by CCCC
Read the title quickly - though maybe someone was having drive train trouble with a school bus.

Nice pics, though.

Too funny, my exact thought.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,045 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,109
Posts18,483,299
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.