Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone wearing these? Mainly interested in Alps trainer and mountain trainer shoes. Fit durability, comfort?

Other choices that you like better? I’m open. Wore out a 2nd pair of Meindl Ontario gtx’s and thinking of trying something else.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We just went to Salewa for our work boots and I’m a big fan so far. Much better than the Solomon GTX than we used before. Some guys have broken off the little metal lace tabs but the retailer where we bought them replaced them without issue.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Anyone wearing these? Mainly interested in Alps trainer and mountain trainer shoes. Fit durability, comfort?

Other choices that you like better? I’m open. Wore out a 2nd pair of Meindl Ontario gtx’s and thinking of trying something else.

I have a pair of the MT2s enroute and will follow up on thoughts once I get them. Most of the personal reviews I’ve gotten on them were positive. Recently tried a pair of Crispi Altitudes and the narrow toe box was a definite deal breaker.

Originally Posted by Biathlonman
We just went to Salewa for our work boots and I’m a big fan so far. Much better than the Solomon GTX than we used before. Some guys have broken off the little metal lace tabs but the retailer where we bought them replaced them without issue.

Are you referring to the Quest 4s? What model Salewa?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have been using a pair for a while. Salewa crowe gtx. 1 sheep hunt and some summer hiking is all, but I like them. They seem to fit me better than most. I generally have a loose heel and tight across the ball of the foot. These seem tighter and looser in the right places, for me.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cwh2
I have been using a pair for a while. Salewa crowe gtx. 1 sheep hunt and some summer hiking is all, but I like them. They seem to fit me better than most. I generally have a loose heel and tight across the ball of the foot. These seem tighter and looser in the right places, for me.

Exact same issue. Loose in the heel tight in the ball of my feet with the Meindls.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by joshf303
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I have a pair of the MT2s enroute and will follow up on thoughts once I get them. Most of the personal reviews I’ve gotten on them were positive. Recently tried a pair of Crispi Altitudes and the narrow toe box was a definite deal breaker.

Originally Posted by Biathlonman

Are you referring to the Quest 4s? What model Salewa?

Be interested in what you think of the fit when you get ‘em Josh.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m running the MTN trainer lite mid GTX…great so far but they’ve seen more concrete floors then outdoors.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Raven and the Vultur, as well as the Dropline mid.

Can’t say enough good things about the Raven, very comfortable, very waterproof, easily the grippiest sole of any boot I’ve owned. The Vultur appears to be now discontinued but is a very nice boot but super stiff.

The Raven runs a little narrower than a comparable Meindl, that’s my only real gripe with them. You might need to size up a 1/2 size.

Last edited by Scorpion; 03/28/23.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Seems thats repeated a lot, I plan on ordering a 1/2 size up. Really interested to hear what Josh thinks about the MT2 since that's what I'm leaning towards. Just need a good solid durable shoe for summer work and the mountains.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Will do Jack… I ordered my true size and I should have them on Saturday.

Have you worn any of the other Meindel boots? I’ve used the Denali for a long time and down to my last pair. Ordered 2 when I realized they were going away and stuck one pair away, but they are getting long in the tooth. Thought about trying a pair of their Air Revolutions considering the good luck I’ve had with Meindel but couldn’t find enough info out there to push the button.

Last edited by joshf303; 03/29/23.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Salewas are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. (Fit and comfort are an individual sync of boot to foot, of course). I'm don't backpack rough country much anymore, but I hunt deer, elk, pick lots of wild berries and predator call all winter, so the boots get worn a lot, in scree, steep snow and wet woods. My pair of MS Rapace GTX are still in very good shape after 5 or 6 years.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Will do Jack… I ordered my true size and I should have them on Saturday.

Have you worn any of the other Meindel boots? I’ve used the Denali for a long time and down to my last pair. Ordered 2 when I realized they were going away and stuck one pair away, but they are getting long in the tooth. Thought about trying a pair of their Air Revolutions considering the good luck I’ve had with Meindel but couldn’t find enough info out there to push the button.

I’ve had 3 pairs comfort fit hunters and 2 hikers, and been wearing 2 pairs of the Ontario GTX shoes for probably 4 summers. The ontarios are durable as hell but have to switch to inserts for comfort. No longer listed on their site though. The MT lites look really similar. Hoping you give a good report and I’ll order those. I’ve had really good luck with Meindl but my heel does seem to slide around in them no matter how I lace up.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Amazon occasionally has sail aways for good prices. I think mine were $180. I ordered two sizes and returned the larger ones. Soles on mine are great for grip but flat out useless on ice so I don't even try to wear them until all the snow is gone. They are also almost bright red enough to take me home automatically if I click my heels together 3 times.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a pair of the Mtn. Trainer 2 leather lined shoes. I normally wear a 12 but had to get a 12.5. I feel they have a fairly narrow fit into the toe area. I have normal width feet and I feel like my toes are scrunched together. They also slip on my heel a bit. I don't know if that will get better as I've worn them enough that they should be breaking in by now. Also I discovered the low cut is not ideal for hiking in the western mountains. I've banged my ankle bones pretty hard while making my way through the rock fields common in the mountains around here. That hurts and a taller boot would've prevented that. Not the best choice for going off trail. A low cut shoe gets grass, dirt, pebbles inside easier as well.

Overall I don't like them and regret spending that much money.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Got a couple days of inside wear on the new MT 2s and convinced myself this evening that I liked them enough to cut the tags off and keep them.

Was just a little hesitant on the width at first on my left foot…skosh bigger in that foot and have a weirder, bigger “pinky” toe on that side. After playing with the laces some I got them tuned right. I feel they are almost borderline in width for my foot, which is 4 1/4” - 4 3/8s” (10.8-10.9cm). The boots do come with a sort of modular insole system that you can swap around in a few patterns to tune the fit. Ended up leaving the left boot with the “stock” insole and adding the full cup to the right insole, which improved the feel noticeably. Did pull the Softsoles out of another pair of boots and put in them. For now they are a little much, but maybe after some wear I’ll revisit that.

As far as break in… I think they are money out of the box.

I ordered my true 10 size and IMO that’s perfect considering where my big toe lands. Feel zero slip or crowding of my toes on downward inclines.

The upper is very comfortable and just the right amount of flexible IMO. They are advertised as a 3 flex and while I can’t argue if they are true to that or not, the flex is very comfortable to my foot.

Heel lock is very, very good. The whole ankle area of the boot probably fits better than anything else I’ve tried on.

Durability…we’ll see. It does have a couple areas of concern, mostly the 2 sets of cord lace loops on each boot.

Planning on doing a 6-7 mile 75lb pack on them in the morning.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Got a couple days of inside wear on the new MT 2s and convinced myself this evening that I liked them enough to cut the tags off and keep them.

Was just a little hesitant on the width at first on my left foot…skosh bigger in that foot and have a weirder, bigger “pinky” toe on that side. After playing with the laces some I got them tuned right. I feel they are almost borderline in width for my foot, which is 4 1/4” - 4 3/8s” (10.8-10.9cm). The boots do come with a sort of modular insole system that you can swap around in a few patterns to tune the fit. Ended up leaving the left boot with the “stock” insole and adding the full cup to the right insole, which improved the feel noticeably. Did pull the Softsoles out of another pair of boots and put in them. For now they are a little much, but maybe after some wear I’ll revisit that.

As far as break in… I think they are money out of the box.

I ordered my true 10 size and IMO that’s perfect considering where my big toe lands. Feel zero slip or crowding of my toes on downward inclines.

The upper is very comfortable and just the right amount of flexible IMO. They are advertised as a 3 flex and while I can’t argue if they are true to that or not, the flex is very comfortable to my foot.

Heel lock is very, very good. The whole ankle area of the boot probably fits better than anything else I’ve tried on.

Durability…we’ll see. It does have a couple areas of concern, mostly the 2 sets of cord lace loops on each boot.

Planning on doing a 6-7 mile 75lb pack on them in the morning.

Thanks for the detailed report! My foot runs around 4”. Should work great.

Last edited by jackmountain; 04/08/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 53 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.