Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
If you don't mind building and also reload, can I interest you in a 7TCU? Loaded with 120 grain Nosler BTs I know for a fact it will hammer deer out to 300 yards, and if it does that for deer, it will do the same for black bears. I haven't had the occasion to shoot a BB with mine yet because for the past few years, I have had my bow in hand when the bears come through, but I am planning a dedicated bear hunt that will be over bait, and I can pretty much guarantee this rifle will be in hand for one or both of those bears.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is a very cool rifle and interesting cartridge. I can say the say thing and farther on distance with a 223. I haven’t used it yet but the 6 arc seems to be a easy option too.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If under 150 yards works for you, I'd stay with the time proven 30-30.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
If you don't mind building and also reload, can I interest you in a 7TCU? Loaded with 120 grain Nosler BTs I know for a fact it will hammer deer out to 300 yards, and if it does that for deer, it will do the same for black bears. I haven't had the occasion to shoot a BB with mine yet because for the past few years, I have had my bow in hand when the bears come through, but I am planning a dedicated bear hunt that will be over bait, and I can pretty much guarantee this rifle will be in hand for one or both of those bears.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I too have a 7TCU I built on a 700 back when I was still gunsmithing. It is a lot of killing in a low recoil package for sure. But I haven’t really seen any difference in killing power over a 223 with 77s. They both work great. I built mine as an experiment really, had an action lying around and an almost free K&P 7mm blank.
The 120Btips work great, the 120 Sierra, the 120 Hornady HP, and the 110 Speer TNTs do too. BC sucks on all of them but I make do. Were I to live in some state with stupid caliber restrictions I’d probably pick the TCU for my knocking around rifle more often.
I haven’t shot any bears with my TCU but I’ve shot enough with other stuff and enough big pigs with the TCU to know that it’ll work.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I had a 7TCU in a Rem Model 7 and loved it. It launched a 140 gr SGK at 2400 fps, a good 200 yard game getter with no recoil.

I'm right-handed and have had three shoulder surgeries.

As for light recoil for deer and bear, I'd have to use something in the 6.5 caliber, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoore, 6.5x55, etc. 6.5 mm caliber gives you a better choice of bullet weights vs 6mm/.243 for larger game without a dramatic increase of recoil.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read the whole thread and understood some of it. Being more of a bird hunter, and more of a rifle shooter...I would recommend.

If you're seriously into hunting...a full size model 70 in 7mm08 - it's a rifle combo that you can use all of your life. It's not considered a 'kids rifle' and it will not kick much if any depending upon the load.

If you're more into 'shooting' and want something just in case you get the opportunity to go hunting...then I'd recommend a model 92 style lever action or ruger model 77 in 357, 44 mag or 45 colt. The 357 would be easier on the wallet...because some of them can shoot 38 special without issue.

If you're not really sure what you want to hunt and want to be able to shoot deer or bear at sometime, then a shotgun may be the ticket...because you get very light target loads to practice with with the options of slugs form big game. It doesn't need a scope inside of 100 yards with slugs. You could get a 12 gauge or 20 gauge - you're choice - just make sure that you aren't getting an ultralight shotgun and you'll be ok.

If you really know that you want to hunt and travel to hunt...find a local mentor, get a 30'06 (in a model 70 - just to spark 24 hour campfire argument on rilfe choices), start reloading for the 30'06 with like a rockchucker kit...you will have one rifle that you can reload from mild to wild and kill anything in North America.

YMMV

-John

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by TheKid
I too have a 7TCU I built on a 700 back when I was still gunsmithing. It is a lot of killing in a low recoil package for sure. But I haven’t really seen any difference in killing power over a 223 with 77s. They both work great. I built mine as an experiment really, had an action lying around and an almost free K&P 7mm blank.
The 120Btips work great, the 120 Sierra, the 120 Hornady HP, and the 110 Speer TNTs do too. BC sucks on all of them but I make do. Were I to live in some state with stupid caliber restrictions I’d probably pick the TCU for my knocking around rifle more often.
I haven’t shot any bears with my TCU but I’ve shot enough with other stuff and enough big pigs with the TCU to know that it’ll work.

The state that I hunt the most just recently got rid of their restriction of having to use a .24 caliber or greater bullet in centerfire rifles. I will be building a fast twist .223AI as soon as I get done building my medium bore rifle. I realize I don't gain much over the regular .223, but having the bolt gun be an AI version will ensure that I don't get my brass mixed up.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Subject that has not seen much discussion here is bullet weight & construction & its impact on recoil & lethality. Lighter bullets will recoil less though in the case of lead or cup & core bullets will generally offer less penetration & Ill argue less reliable lethality. Bonded bullets will hold together better than most & in turn penetrate better than most cup & core bullets & generally offer more reliable lethality.

In the last two decades I have experimented with all copper bullets. The all copper bullets are less dense & in turn weigh less than a cup 7 core bullet of the same length. Early all copper bullets were constructed in a fashion that insured near 100 percent weight retention. with that weight retention came great penetration & reliable lethality though perhaps not the quickest lethality across the board. Generally these copper bullets do not perform well at lower velocity.

Then a few manufacturers started offering fracturing all copper bullets. The fracturing copper bullets would shed sharp petals that gives a bit larger wound channel. A substantial shank of the bullet would remain in tact & usually that shank would fully penetrate. Last fall I opted to give a frangible all copper bullet a try in the bolt action 6mm ARC. I went with a 87 grain Absolute Hammer. Terminal performance was as good as ever on 2, large bodied white tail deer. both deer were cleanly killed with 1 shot.

Again shot placement with any caliber is of first & foremost importance.

I would be very confident on the well constructed, all copper bullets from this rifle on Deer or large Black Bear. The Lighter bullet weight does result in less recoil. Unfortunately we see relatively few factory all copper loaded ammo offerings. Expect this to improve in time.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
260, 7-08, even .243.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"I don't like recoil either. It gives me headaches. I avoid further damage to my brain by shooting lower recoiling rifles and shotguns."

The late Jack O'Connor once said something to the effect that some people may have had their brains scrambled from too much shooting of hard kicking rifle." Not the exact words but that was the general meaning. he opined they might be getting a mild concussion from the recoil. I think he might be right.

One poster on this thread said, "I don't like recoil either. It gives me headaches." I guess it all depends on the cartridge and I think recoil velocity. I can shoot my Ruger #1 .375 H&H fairly comfortably but my Winchester M70 Stainless Classic .338 Win. mag. hits my shoulder like a sledge hammer and my head snaps back like a cracked whip. I sometimes hear a clicking noise and have an almost instant headache. I've just about retired that rifle.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I put a thompson center compass 6.5 cm in a boyds at-one thumb hole adjustable length of pull stock with a muzzle break. It has less recoil than my .22 rifle however make sure you have ear protection. My kids love it they have been using it since they were 6 and 8 years old.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My daughter loved shooting my .30-06 with Remington Managed Recoil ammo. Killed a few deer with it and it always performed perfectly. All were under 150 yards. It shot 3/4" at 100 yards in that BLR all day.
Grandsons will be using my Ruger Compact American with the .308 version. I'll be using it too once it's sighted in for them.

Introduced my neighbor to the Remington MR .30-06 ammo and he loves it in his lightweight M70. I shot a 5 shot 1/2" group with that combo.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
6CM

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Just a "time out" for qualifying "perceived recoil". Stock ergonomics and for some 'elder' body parts which may be more sensitive to discomfort. For me, short length of stock pull, ie "cozying up with the rifle, almost guaranteed to feel more effect!
Just my quick take!
Best!
John

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
30-30 150 corelokts.

Fück Joe byron
N
N
243 with a high quality projectile. muzzle brake or a suppressor will make it real soft shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NavalDiplomat
243 with a high quality projectile. muzzle brake or a suppressor will make it real soft shooting.
+1. Also consider a semi-auto.
My Browning BAR semi-auto in .243 has noticeably less felt recoil than my ,243 BLR levergun shooting the exact same load.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 04/14/23.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Try a 6 Creedmoor. My son shot my fieldcraft when he was 10. He hates recoil but did ok with the 6 creed. The stock was too long for him so I put together some other options for him. He mostly used a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Regarding recoil. Watch these two boys handle 375’s. Most of it is between your ears.

Those kids handled their rifles well. I need to get my kids out in the field more often. When I was little I had the luxury of having lots of rabbits to practice shooting from field positions. We just don't have many rabbits anymore.

Bb

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Having recently moved to Florida, I am amazed how many people use a .22-250 for whitetails. Of course the Whitetails are much smaller down here. I thought it was marginal but the 3 of them I have seen taken did not take a step. Maybe something to do with the velocity and the shock. They all were using standard 50-55 grain loads. I was amazed at the performance. Put it in a robust stock, get a good recoil pad and you won't feel a thing.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by NavalDiplomat
+1. Also consider a semi-auto.
My Browning BAR semi-auto in .243 has noticeably less felt recoil than my ,243 BLR levergun shooting the exact same load.

That has got to be sweet, If I find one of those or a 25-06 it is coming home with me.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,131
Posts18,483,907
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.