Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGray
Friend of mine bought a 10/22 takedown for his SxS. I've been contemplating the same thing...

G/kids ran close to 900 rds outta mine last week

Comes with a nice take down soft case....luv it !

Don't see the SS in stock here

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/ru...synthetic-black-stk-black#product_detail

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Perfect - I'm thinking red dot also. My friend scoped his...

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Perfect - I'm thinking red dot also - my friend scoped his.

How does it shoot, accuracy wise? Thinking it may need to dispatch charging ground squirrels...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Exploring a new gun purchase.

Sorta like a truck gun but for a quad.

I usually carry a pistol or revolver while atv trail riding.
But yesterday the grounds squirrels were out and I was dreaming of some other option.

Something short packable in a fender bag but with a little more velocity.

Was considering a Thompson encore pistol but...

Anyone carry the perfect shooting iron cartridge?

For ground squirrels I would go with a pawn shop 10/22 or Ruger American rimfire and just carry it on a set of the handlebar holders. Carrying it on the handlebar holder makes it handier. By the time you see the ground squirrels and get the gun out of a fender bag they will likely be down, whereas the handlebar holder is a lot faster to access the rifle and honestly who cares if they beat up a 10/22 or RAR by using the holder.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually carry either my Mossberg chuckster .22mag or
T/C Compass in . 223.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Does anyone’s answer change if riding in Grizzly territory.

I don’t think I can make a single caliber work…
I need one of those combination guns in 22lr 221 fireball, 12 gauge and 45-70.
Ground squirrels to coons to dusky grouse to bear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
AR-15 Carbine for me. Most likely to encounter hogs & coyotes. But plenty of extra mags for 2-legged invaders too.

Yep. Can reach out for crows and such also. The AR is also a fairly closed-off action with the dust cover closed. Not hard to keep the guts fairly clean.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
AR-15 Carbine for me. Most likely to encounter hogs & coyotes. But plenty of extra mags for 2-legged invaders too.

Yep. Can reach out for crows and such also. The AR is also a fairly closed-off action with the dust cover closed. Not hard to keep the guts fairly clean.

I'm working on a lightweight build right now myself. What buttstock is that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the MagPul STR. Basically a CTR with battery storage sleeves for a wider cheek weld. I like how they lock up pretty solid with the extra locking lever.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a Ruger American. I bought it from someone on here. I think it was chlinstructor, but not sure. It’s perfect for that.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a Ruger American. I bought it from someone on here. I think it was chlinstructor, but not sure. It’s perfect for that.

Yep. It was an Ruger American Ranch model in .223

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Love mine. 16” barrel, short, handy, even with a suppressor.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

I can shoot a knat off a June bug at a hundred yards with it loaded with 62 grain Bear claws. Thank you again!!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
On the ranch Kawasaki mule we have a plastic stock Ruger 10/22 and a single shot Stevens 20 ga. Sometimes I ride with a 1894 Win rifle 30 WCF in my lap or my Armalite AR. Just depends on my mood.

I use the 20 gauge single shot the most.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
On the ranch Kawasaki mule we have a plastic stock Ruger 10/22 and a single shot Stevens 20 ga. Sometimes I ride with a 1894 Win rifle 30 WCF in my lap or my Armalite AR. Just depends on my mood.

I use the 20 gauge single shot the most.

Almost any carbine of the caliber or double that you want.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Savage 93 22WMR. Very accurate rifle. not pretty, but reliable and perfect for my needs.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All new to me just got my Rancher on Saturday and picked up a set of Kolpin rack mounted forks. Need to find a 36 tactical gun case for the ar with 16" barrel and collapsible butt. Should tell a guy how good his scope is or isn't?.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 700LH
Savage 24V 30-30 over 20 gauge

mine was a 222

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Recently decided to explore multi-use applications for a few rifles I like to carry. Rather than figure out which *one* gun I most want to carry, knowing that it will be wrong in some applications I may run across on a given day, make a single gun do more than one job with ammunition tailored to a specific job.

We've been "trained" by the manufacturers and gun rags to need another bright shiny gun every time we have a whim. In reality, all that is necessary is to start with a cartridge large enough too hunt the biggest animal on the menu that day, and develop two or more sub-velocity loads for the smaller game or closer shots. In that way, one gun can really be tailored nicely to two or more levels of performance for whatever runs across in front of you. Just use a sharpie to mark the cartridges so you can identify the different loads if the bullets don't differentiate the loads.

None of that is too hard, once you wrap your head around the unconventional idea. What might be perhaps more challenging is developing different loads of vastly different velocities that shoot to the same point of aim, or, some sort of pattern that makes sense. For example, I have a Sako 22-250 that shoots full power loads, 222/223 level loads, and 22 magnum level loads. The full power loads are sighted in at 300 yards. That was my #1 priority. The mid-level loads I ended up using shoot a little high at 100, should be about right at 200 yards, same windage. The mid-level load is good for anything from calling coyotes into your lap to whatever is practical for the 222/223 class of cartridges.

Lastly, the 22 magnum level load is designed for shooting small critters at about 30 yards. A good "truck gun", walkabout load. When the velocity got that low, it wouldn't stabilize the same 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip as the mid and upper level loads, so I dropped down to a 40 grain ballistic tip and got it shooting great. When I finally settled on a load I like it didn't shoot exactly the same windage, hitting slightly left and slightly low of the crosshairs at 30 yards. I may work on it some more and see if I can tune the light load to hit closer to the crosshairs in the future. For now, it's close and is very workable.

This was all new thinking to me, having been of the school of thought that more guns is always a good thing. But have you noticed when you get a few different rifles in the safe(s), you start to forget which ones are sighted in and how? Remember back when all you had was one gun for coyotes, and one for big game? It was easy to remember.

LOL
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
3 guns for me. Allday everyday. Truck,tractors,buggy etc.
Nula mod 20 in 260 for all critters that need killin
Single shot 410 for cottonmouth moccasin etc
kimber micro 9mm on my hip w/spare mag

Ive bounced around tryin this an that for long time. These fit my situation the best……

PS…

A Charlie May Malibu in my pocket too

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (007FJ, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,720
Posts18,514,214
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.