Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Simple question, can you use 280ai dies to make 280 brass into 280ai or do you need to fireform them. Never had an AI cartridge and I tried google fu but came up empty.

Thanks gents

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You fireform it. Shooting .280 Rem in a .280 AI blows it out to fit the .280 AI chamber. Sometimes it may take two firings to fully form depending on headspace.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
You have to fireform

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You should feel slight resistance on bolt closing on a standard 280 rem case or round, on a 280 AI that is set up properly.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You have to fireform 280 REM to make 280 AI. Use a reduced load (per Nosler manual) and seat bullet to touch the lands in your rifle. One firing is all it takes.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, thanks for the info very much appreciated

God bless,

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Like everyone said, fireform. Then determine if your chamber is 280 AI SAAMI or traditional 280 AI.

One is shorter than the other... Doesn't matter if only neck sizing, but does if full length sizing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Brazos
Like everyone said, fireform. Then determine if your chamber is 280 AI SAAMI or traditional 280 AI.

One is shorter than the other... Doesn't matter if only neck sizing, but does if full length sizing.

.004 is the difference ‘tween the two.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Brazos

.004 is the difference ‘tween the two.

Pretty sure it is more like .016, which is significant.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Probably my favourite cartridge. I had a standard 280Rem previously and just couldn’t get it to shoot. Seems the barrel was a Friday afternoon manufacture after a long lunch. Rebarrelled it to the ai version and just shot my old reloads. Figured the Norma brass was too good to throw away. Hope you enjoy your new rifle.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been shooting a 280AI since it held status as a wildcat, i.e. pre-Nosler and SAAMI acceptance. Never once used a 'reduced' load to fireform. (Unless you want to count Remington's anemic 280 Rem Cir-Lokts as reduced loads.)

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ackleyman
You have to fireform 280 REM to make 280 AI. Use a reduced load (per Nosler manual) and seat bullet to touch the lands in your rifle. One firing is all it takes.

Where can I find this in Noslers manual #9?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LOBO2

Not the only place, but 1st place I looked.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0011550009/nosler-reloading-manual-number-9

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 358WCF

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0011550009/nosler-reloading-manual-number-9

My bad. I have the manual on hand. Just wanted to know where in the manual I can find the above mentioned information.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, fire forming is necessary, as everyone has confirmed. However, I don't bother with that now that Nosler and Hornady sell .280 AI brass.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My bad. I have the manual on hand. Just wanted to know where in the manual I can find the above mentioned information.

I may have misread your question. Sorry, it was late. Nosler #9 in the small print under Tech Info on p390 & 391 at the bottom gives a few hints.

For fire-forming, I've found that a close to max load for the parent case in a new parent case using a mid burner (3031 to 4064 or so on the burn chart) fills out the shoulders better than all the dicking around with corn meal, etc. Example-Nosler #9 shows 48.0 gr of 4064 as max with 120s in standard 280. I'd try a few at 47 to 47.5 & see how they form. It is rocket science in a way, but not exact so use your own judgement. A good place to use up partial cans of older/redundant powder & leftover bullets from odd boxes.

Setting proper headspace on the 1st firing is a good idea. Bullet jam doesn't always accomplish this, so you may have better results by doing some brass manipulation (false shoulder) if the headspace on the brass is too much shorter than the chamber. The point at the neck shoulder junction will be what contacts on the front end. You should feel some resistance to the bolt closing, but not so much that it takes 2 men & a boy to close it. Keep the back of the locking lugs lubed for this too.

In my Ackleys, the fireforming rounds can still be used for hunting if they shoot small enough. They'll be at a slightly reduced velocity. Once the case is formed you can start loading with Ackley data, or near max for the parent case & working up in small increments. A 1/2 gr at a time is workable for a 280 size case. Find pressure, back off a bit & go from there... seating depth, etc. A chronograph is a definite help during development.

Maybe start with 5 or 10 cases to see how it goes. Form & load them a few times to get a feel for the process before doing 50 or 100 & finding out there's something wrong. It can be a learning experience if you haven't done it before. Go slow, go far.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I may have misread your question. Sorry, it was late. Nosler #9 in the small print under Tech Info on p390 & 391 at the bottom gives a few hints.

For fire-forming, I've found that a close to max load for the parent case in a new parent case using a mid burner (3031 to 4064 or so on the burn chart) fills out the shoulders better than all the dicking around with corn meal, etc. Example-Nosler #9 shows 48.0 gr of 4064 as max with 120s in standard 280. I'd try a few at 47 to 47.5 & see how they form. It is rocket science in a way, but not exact so use your own judgement. A good place to use up partial cans of older/redundant powder & leftover bullets from odd boxes.

Setting proper headspace on the 1st firing is a good idea. Bullet jam doesn't always accomplish this, so you may have better results by doing some brass manipulation (false shoulder) if the headspace on the brass is too much shorter than the chamber. The point at the neck shoulder junction will be what contacts on the front end. You should feel some resistance to the bolt closing, but not so much that it takes 2 men & a boy to close it. Keep the back of the locking lugs lubed for this too.

In my Ackleys, the fireforming rounds can still be used for hunting if they shoot small enough. They'll be at a slightly reduced velocity. Once the case is formed you can start loading with Ackley data, or near max for the parent case & working up in small increments. A 1/2 gr at a time is workable for a 280 size case. Find pressure, back off a bit & go from there... seating depth, etc. A chronograph is a definite help during development.

Maybe start with 5 or 10 cases to see how it goes. Form & load them a few times to get a feel for the process before doing 50 or 100 & finding out there's something wrong. It can be a learning experience if you haven't done it before. Go slow, go far.

Thank you so much!! A lot of great information that I wasn't aware of before now.

This is my first Ackley so it will be a learning experience.

Looks like there is a lot more to it than I originally thought.

I full length size my brass. Any recommendation on dies for .280 AI?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fancy that. Not setup to get notices, but was just wasting time surfing waiting for dinner & here this is again.

I like Redding or CH4D. I'm sure RCBS or Forster will be OK too. The 280 Ackley has SAAMI specs now. It depends on your chamber, but...

https://redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips-faqs/133-280-changes

If you go thru the trouble of a false shoulder etc. please dont cam over on the die when reloading unless you need to for correct headspace. Ignore the die instructions about touching the shellholder then adding 1/4 turn. Partial FL size (back the die off from touch 1/2 turn or more) for the 1st few firings. It may take 2 or 3 or 4 firings, depending on pressure, before the case chambers tight enough for you to get a good adjustment to set & forget the lock ring. This can be done by feel, or get a Hornady headspace comparator (around $35 or so for the set) & learn to use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 3,232 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.