Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atvalaska
How u guys get anywhere with rigs so wide and them tires shocked...

I like the old school SxS/ATV.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
How u guys get anywhere with rigs so wide and them tires shocked...

My ride when I was stationed in Kodiak was a 2 wheel drive Suzuki 160 4 wheeler. I'd load that up with my wife and an ice chest on the back and guns, rods and reels and tackle bags on the front. When I got stuck, I dismounted and dragged it out of the hole.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've only known 1 guy with a can am, and he is satisfied.

I was dropping an atv off at a repair shop just yesterday and ask the mechanic which brand he'd suggest for most reliable/less repairs. He told me Yamaha was the least seen brand in their repair shop, followed by Honda. He said kawasaki uses an engine made in China and he works on the newer kawasaki's daily. Ymmv

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hotsoup

I was dropping an atv off at a repair shop just yesterday and ask the mechanic which brand he'd suggest for most reliable/less repairs. He told me Yamaha was the least seen brand in their repair shop, followed by Honda. He said kawasaki uses an engine made in China and he works on the newer kawasaki's daily. Ymmv

I think-if you stick with the mainline manufacturers you'll find pluses and minuses that most can work with.
I've had a JD diesel, Mule and finally settled on a Rhino.
Haven't heard of any CanAm owners that weren't happy with their choice[know a few]

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My cousin had a Can Am SXS. Had problems from day 1. Had it less than 6 months and got rid of it. Bought a Roxor. He had a cab and I think they never could get A/C to work correctly. I’m a Yamaha guy. Have had many over the years and are very dependable. I currently have a Viking S X S, a Grizzly 700 and a Big Bear 400

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do have a Can Am Defender for just over two years. It has been problem free.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jerry_Lundegaard
Originally Posted by 5spd
Can am engine's are made by cfmoto..

LMAO. That’s a complete fabrication. CanAm uses Rotax engines, which BRP owns with manufacturing facilities in Canada, the United States, Mexico, Finland and Austria.

Put the Chinese kool-aid down!

Thank god there are folks on this forum that do not believe all of the complete and utter bullshit that is spewed upon these pages!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 2008 Yamaha Rhino 700 special edition has been trouble-free since I bought it (Used). It had 1,500 miles on it, it has 4,000 miles now. I added a 3" lift and taller tires, a winch and a plow.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by coobie
KUBOTA..
Yep heavy and overpriced, cities buy them
Built like a tank and last forever thats why municipality's purchase them.Go figure.. crazy

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hotsoup

This is what 2 different dealer mechanics told me also, when I was looking. They both sell Can Am, Kawi, Honda and Yamaha. They both said the Yamaha's were hardly ever in the shop compared to the others.

That was 6 - 7 years ago though, so take it for what it's worth.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rooster7
[quote=hotsoup]I've only known 1 guy with a can am, and he is satisfied.

You want to find different dealers. Having worked on several different SxS's the Yamaha's have been very dependable and the Kawasaki KRX is a brute with very few problems, I could retire on keeping Polaris's and the Mavericks running. Both brands have many weak points and you never know when you are getting a stop ride with a Polaris.The 2019's KRX had weak ball joints which Kawasaki replaced under warranty. I put almost 8,000 miles on a 2012 Can-am commander 1000 with zero issues.

Last edited by BluMtn; 04/11/23.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
One thing I've noticed with Polaris is that without a full enclosed cab, they suck in dust so bad, the riders are filthy dirty when they get to the pit stops.

Like shake 2 lbs of dirt out of your hair, dirty...

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like Honda, Yamaha and CanAm are good choices. Polaris, not so much.
Availability is an issue.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know of anyone with a bad thing to say about Yamaha UTV - sport or work. Sport guys would like better HP and suspension but not actual "failures".

All of the Can-Am guys I know are sport guys so they're adding huge turbos etc and breaking things with gross application of the right foot and quick stops caused by trees.

The Polaris guys - issues but I don't know specifics. I'm not a Polaris guy at all so I don't pay attention, it's not in my decision process.

Honda - my uncle has a Pioneer. I'm not a fan, I found it DAMN loud and hot (and slow).

I really REALLY like the look of the newish Yamaha Rmax 1000. 10 year warranty on the belt, able to boogie to 70mph if having fun, still has a dump box etc.

Me

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP,

I did a lot of research, and there is a ton of it. But after the dust settled, I went the Honda Pioneer 1000. It is mostly used for work on property and some trail rides. What made me go with the Honda was reliability, and no belt.

My .02

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have one friend that bought a Can Am. It broke suspension components too easily so he sold it. He is a full motorhead, dirt bikes, other buggies, rat rods. He knows how to take care of stuff and he wasn't abusing it,

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Teal
All of the Can-Am guys I know are sport guys so they're adding huge turbos etc and breaking things with gross application of the right foot and quick stops caused by trees.

That was one of the issues the mechanics talked about and others on the forums. Too much throttle, not enough beef, in the areas that see the torque.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have a Polaris RZr xp1000 trail and rock edition. I’ve had it for 3 yrs and I have about 1700 miles on it. Only issue I have had was a blown input seal on the front diff and it was covered under warranty. I’ve made several trips to WV outlaw trails around Crumpler Mt, been to Tackett Creek in Speedwell Tenn. and multiple other trails around my area. We ride hard and sometimes fast. We go through creeks and some awful mud. We have climbed hills and gone down hills.
Mine has a 30% lower gear reduction and it will climb a wall. I’ve made upgrades just because I don’t take chances and don’t want to break down out in the middle of nowhere.
With all that said, they are all going to breakdown if you don’t upgrade cheap OEM parts and keep up with maintenance . I don’t regret my purchase.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Fishnnut1
I have a Polaris RZr xp1000 trail and rock edition. I’ve had it for 3 yrs and I have about 1700 miles on it. Only issue I have had was a blown input seal on the front diff and it was covered under warranty. I’ve made several trips to WV outlaw trails around Crumpler Mt, been to Tackett Creek in Speedwell Tenn. and multiple other trails around my area. We ride hard and sometimes fast. We go through creeks and some awful mud. We have climbed hills and gone down hills.
Mine has a 30% lower gear reduction and it will climb a wall. I’ve made upgrades just because I don’t take chances and don’t want to break down out in the middle of nowhere.
With all that said, they are all going to breakdown if you don’t upgrade cheap OEM parts and keep up with maintenance . I don’t regret my purchase.

Which parts did you replace, if you don't mind?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.