Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Alway liked the looks of em, ordered one couple days ago. Original model, anyone use one? Figger it would be a good grouse/fishin/light sidearm.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’ve got a stainless from when they only made them with fixed sights. Those sights sucked badly but I otherwise really liked the gun. I sent it off to David Clements for adjustable sight conversion and a trigger job. Now I really, really like it. It’s accurate and handy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve got a stainless adj sight model and it’s a sweet shooter but so is a S&W 63 3” 22. Both are good grouse and rabbit guns.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just put an older one on layaway. With box, shipper and everything front the factory. PLUS the magnum cylinder, both look unfired. Cant wait.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have owned several Bearcats in the past.

My latest purchase was a Ruger Wrangler birds head, with a 3-3/4" barrel.

I'm liking this little revolver better than my old Bear cats!

It's about the same size, but the Birds head grip fits my hand better.

Virgil B.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Judman
Alway liked the looks of em, ordered one couple days ago. Original model, anyone use one? Figger it would be a good grouse/fishin/light sidearm.
I always liked their looks, too. Always intended to get one, going back to the 1980s, but have yet to do so. They seem like really cool little revolvers.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i still have mine from 1973 in its box with its papers , my problem with a bear cat pistol yes its a very nice handgun but my hands are to big for that dandy little pistol.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hickok45 has Chewbacca hands, and he seems to think the grips are workable due to the extended length of pull afforded by the Remington frame pattern.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love single actions. Cool look, old-timey feel. But, that said, for a functional .22lr firearm for actual use in the field...

Smith Model 63

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Judman: Like Pete53 above the nifty little Ruger Bearcats are just way to small for me.
I have bought and sold a bunch of them over the last 5 decades and have made a bunch of profit off of them.
People like them and they always bring MUCH attention at gunshows and gunshops.
I hope you enjoy that nifty and popular little pistol.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Watch out for the "Shopkeeper." Short barrel with a short ejection rod. It won't push the empty shell clear of the cylinder.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Judman

I've owned 2 Bearcats. The first (through my hands) was a stainless standard model. It didn't shoot to point of aim, off about 2:00 as I recall, and without tools to rotate the barrel there wasn't much I could do with it. Tried a couple dozen kinds of ammo (back in the day when that was an over the counter one trip to the gun store option), got nowhere, so I sold it. The second was an old model, unconverted, made in 1963 if I remember right. It had a fair bit of holster wear but had apparently been fired very little. Not sure about that combination, maybe someone's kit gun they didn't plink with, maybe a trapline gun. It was not very accurate even for what it was and it had the same not-to-point-of-aim issue as well. I sold it, too.

I don't think I'd buy a Bearcat that didn't have adjustable sights. That's just me, my priorities. I need the bullets to go where the sights point just as much as I need them to land close together. Bearcats so far have neither crossed the t-s nor dotted the i-s. The idea is good, delivery not so good. IMHO.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had a stainless version that shot excellent groups but not close to point of aim so I sold it. I got a good deal on a blue one and sent it off to Andy Horvath to have S&W J Frame sights fitted. It should be back pretty soon. If it works out it will replace my model 34 that went down the road.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They were cute little noise makers back when I bought one in the late ‘60’s. I really wanted a Single Six, but only had the $39.95 for a new Bearcat. No adjustable sights on that one and I couldn’t hit anything with that little Ruger. I sold it to a kid in the dorm for $35.00 and thought that I got a good deal. In retrospect, I wish that I would have had the bucks to buy a drawer full of them given what I’ve seen those original Bearcats selling for.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember as a kid when they first came out and how much I wanted to have and own one. It was not to be at that time, so later when I could buy one I did so about 20 years ago and found a great holster for it.

After taking about 4-5 different types of ammo out to see what it could do it was very disappointing. At 15 yards I had groups that were a minute of foot, with groups sizes running from 1-1.5 feet!! It was disappointing to see how lousy it groups but still the look and memories of my youth have kept me from selling it. It resides in the back of the safe and probably will stay there.

As another has mentioned, a Ruger Wrangler Bird Head has replaced it with much much better accuracy and become a much used shooter.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I’ve been looking for a good leather cross draw holster. What do you guys use to carry yours?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thought I'd like a Shopkeeper for a small walk-about pistol, but not at the prices they're now commanding. For that money I'll go with a S&W 63 with adjustable sights

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I think they are pretty neat pieces. Mine shoots pretty darn well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VaTraveler;

I have a Barranti leather cross draw holster for the shop keeper Bearcat I used to own.

I wet molded it to fit the 3-3/4" BirdsHead Wrangler I now own. GREAT holster!

Virgil B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.