Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have a section of my front yard, right next to the house, where nothing will grow. I have mixed in potting soil, manure, top soil and used fertilizers to try and make this patch of dirt viable. Withing a couple of weeks, the dirt reverts to its old color and anything I have planted dies.

What would you do to bring this area back? It is about 30' long and 7' wide.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Did you piss off a neighbor?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Contaminated I’m guessing.
Did you grow there in the past?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have the soil sampled and analyzed.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Have the soil sampled and analyzed.

This but do it yourself. Log onto the CSU website and navigate to their soils lab for instructions on how to sample, prices, and where to send the samples it's about $30/sample IIRC so take samples from a few different locations.

My problem was high pH, even after a few years of adding peat and potting soil. Easy enough to fix once you know what the problem is

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Sounds like a dead carcass is there buried.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you can’t figure out how to grow grass you’re dumber than dirt… 🤷‍♂️

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neighbor is pissing in your yard.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My guess is a alien spaceship might have landed there, contaminated the soil, could have even been hundreds of years ago.

I've got a similar spot, a circle about 15' diameter.

Last edited by AZmark; 04/11/23.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an uncle that farmed for a living and was good at it. Anyway, about 30 years ago, he had a tank that leaked some kind of herbicide on the edge of the yard. For years and years, nothing would grow on that 15' diameter spot, but over time, the bare spot became smaller and smaller. About 4 or 5 years ago the spot was about 5' across and still no grass, so a cousin took his backhoe and dug it out. Hauled in dirt and finally got rid of that bare spot.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado14er
I have a section of my front yard, right next to the house, where nothing will grow. I have mixed in potting soil, manure, top soil and used fertilizers to try and make this patch of dirt viable. Withing a couple of weeks, the dirt reverts to its old color and anything I have planted dies.

What would you do to bring this area back? It is about 30' long and 7' wide.

Dig up 1/3 of the plot (10X7) to a depth of about a foot. Over the next year dump everything organic into it you can-- grass, leaves, kitchen waste, etc. Next spring, dig up another 1/3 and put it on top of the pile. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. By the time you get back to the first 1/3 the year of compost will be compressed down to about 1 inch, and will till back into the next year's. Eventually, you'll have loam, and stuff will grow. In the meantime, you've got a good place for garden waste.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Have soil test done, about $30

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with the guys saying test the soil.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something probably spilled there, could be fuel, could be herbicide, could be some construction related chemical, like muriatic acid. A soil test might pick it up through pH, but won’t pick up herbicide or fuel contamination.

Testing is pretty much limited to finding specific things you are looking for, unless you spend more money than for a soil test.

I had one spot at a house that wouldn’t grow well. Finally got frustrated and started digging. The construction crew had left a sheet of plywood and covered it with a foot of dirt when they leveled the yard. A-holes, the lot of them.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure about your state,

Each county in MS has an extension service / agent.

Take them a soil sample. $6 ( or was ). They send it to MS State soil lab. Send you a report.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen 4 ton of chicken schiett to the acre turn some pretty sorry ground around in a hurry. The difference between 1 or 2 tons vs 4 per acre is mind boggling.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In addition to the soil testing, you may a have a compaction issue. I have a couple areas that need attention. I read a book on soils this year. I had no idea how much was going on, beneath our feet.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every gardening book tells you to add lime. That has a high pH. If you add lime to alkaline soil, you're multiplying any problems you already had. I agree on the soil test. You won't find out the real problem without one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pour gravel on it and call it a driveway. Grass will grow in that when it won't grow anywhere else.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
Pour gravel on it and call it a driveway. Grass will grow in that when it won't grow anywhere else.

LOL, we have a winner!! The post about the buried sheet of plywood reminded me That I had a couple of square feet in the front next to the concrete sidewalk that wouldn't grow grass, finally dug it up to replace the soil and there was a bunch of broken up concrete rubble. That stuff is no bueno. Have you tried potholing in the are to see if there's buried rubble under there?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,831
Posts18,517,019
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.