Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
OP Offline
M
Hi there,

I was invited to an elk hunt this coming november... In anticipation of this and so I had plenty of time to get used to a gun... I bought a 300 PRC rifle. Now for a few reasons I'd say I jumped the gun but... After seeing several positive reviews I bought a Christensen Arms Mesa in 300PRC. It was AFTER this as I was trying to read up on my new gun as I await its arrival I saw all the negatives on it. So now I'm dreading what I'll be getting once it arrives...

But in addition to that... Most of my rifle shooting is ARs... I HAVE had a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 but... since the Mesa is a lighter rifle and I've never shot a magnum rifle I'm starting to worry about the recoil of the PRC. Can anyone tell me how it will compare to the 45-70? the GG had stout recoil but completely manageable. I wasn't shooting buffalo bores or anything crazy but they were factory non cowboy loads.

Thanks for your time and insight! I'd thought about trying to find a place that will make me reduced recoil 300 PRC loads and work up to the full power factory Hornady ammunition... But not sure if I should do that or just try it as is with the factory ammo and hope I don't develop a flinch?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't let it play on your mind too much. Just wait and see how it goes when you get it. Off hand and out hunting you probably won't be too bothered by it.

The 300 mags do have a sharp recoil. My friends 300WM was less pleasant than my 375HHmag when shooting sitting from a bench. If that turns out to be your case as well you could try shooting standing from a bench if you can arrange this for sighting and load testing.

The closest I have is a Browning X-bolt in 325WSM that can launch 200gn at 3000fps. It's a sporter weight but excellent stock design. Sitting bench shooting is not a concern.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You might be surprised at how much recoil can be mitigated with the included muzzle brake. Sure, they are loud, but I shoot much better with a brake, than without one.

That being said, if you don't like the rifle, then cancel your order and get the same rifle in 6.5 PRC, shoot a quality bullet and go kill an elk.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
There are recoil calculators online, you can look up the new cartridge specs and compare to the cartridges you already fired. If you had no issues with the 45-70, you should be fine.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Sell it and get a .308 or something reasonable to start out with. If you are already worried about recoil, then you are going to flinch, and that's not an easy thing to cure.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Never hit anything with it.

Fück Joe byron
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A brake would definitely mitigate felt recoil, but you might check to see how your hunting partners/guide feel about it first... because it'll be obnoxiously loud.

Now a question: why do you need a magnum for elk? Seems like a 270/280/06 or 7mm08 or 308 or even a 6.5 would be just fine within realistic ranges and you won't be flinching. (If you're already dreading the recoil, it's gonn take work to shoot the rifle well.)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
Sell it and get a .308 or something reasonable to start out with. If you are already worried about recoil, then you are going to flinch, and that's not an easy thing to cure.
^^^^^ 👍👍

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I find that a slip on recoil pad can help from the bench as well. Like said above, you won't notice the recoil when actually shooting game. You will notice a brake though since your ears will ring for a week after shooting without hearing protection.

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't worry about the naysayers. If there is break on the rifle, it will considerably reduce recoil. If not, put one one on. You probably won't be hunting right beside your hunting partner, be courteous at a range and there are electric earmuffs to protect your ears.

Another option is to put a suppressor on, but I don't like the added length to the barrel.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
With a brake and decent recoil pad it should be manageable for most people that aren’t sensitive to recoil. Be sure you get a scope that has a generous eye relief. Getting tagged one time can become a life long fear. Don’t shoot many rounds at any one time either. You’ll do fine!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just wonder what the people who invited you were telling you?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
At a bench, you'll notice it. Out hunting, probably not so much. For a range session, I bring a .22LR along as well. Fire a couple rounds with your hunting rifle and then set it aside to cool off. Then use the .22LR to continue practicing, this helps.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
At a bench, you'll notice it. Out hunting, probably not so much.

Bad habits picked up at the bench will have their effect, notice it or not.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's why a .22 is used too. It does help. All of us have bad habits, no one is exempt from that.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What is your experience in turn bolt guns off the bench other than shooting a Marlin tube feed lever? The 45-70, other than sighting in is typically shot off hand quite a bit, whereby recoil is not as severe as the shoulder and entire body move to lessen the recoil energy. That’s a big difference from finding a steady rest in the field at 400 yards and absorbing the brunt at the shoulder.

Both 45-70 and 300 PRC deal out around 40 ft-lbs of recoil when loaded with 405 gr at 1,900 fps and 7lbs and the PRC with 212 gr at 2,900 fps and 8.7lbs. That’s a very significant amount of recoil for hunting if not experienced.

Since you already bought it, you’ll need to work on that quite a bit. After sighting in shoot from a steady field rest (sticks, backpack, bipod, etc.) in prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing. Learn to use a tight sling as well to steady the rifle if shots become snap or needed quickly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When at the bench use an extra pad or a sand bag between your shoulder and the butt of the rifle. Also stock fit has a tremendous effect on felt recoil. If it doesn't fit you, get it fit or find a rifle that does.
When you are out hunting you will never notice recoil but be aware that if you shoot a rifle with a brake without hearing protection you will permanently damage your hearing. I went through a similar experience with a 300RUM with a brake. I shot it twice without hearing protection at an elk. It hurt so bad I seriously considered using my knife to finish the elk rather than using the rifle. When I got home I cut the brake off and will never use one again.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for all the replies!

Answering in random order, my the one who invited me hasn’t given me advice. Pretty big oversight on my part I admit.

I’ve watched and read a lot about African hunting, I expected to shoot offhand in the field so that’s what I planned on practicing (with a trigger stick)

My prior experience with bolt guns is a 308 rem700 in one of the old style AI chassis. Shot prone.

I went with 300 PRC because I want to get into long range target shooting as well down the road and I wanted one rifle that could do both and I’ve read great things about the PRC.

Up until now all of my appreciable experience with Long gun experience has been AR15/AR10 in a law enforcement capacity so worrying about recoil has never been part of my thought process.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recently bought a Seekins Element in 7PRC.

It’s a stout recoil, even with a brake.

I can only imagine how horrible the recoil is gonna be with a 300 PRC.

😱

🦫

PS

Just kidding 😬

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Recoil tolerance is truly an individual thing!

It can be dependent upon how many shots will be fired during a bench session, and how many shots are fired from other positions. Bench work and prone will likely be the most offensive to the shooter. If the shooter doesn’t do a lot of shooting with the high recoiling rifle from positions giving the highest degree of felt recoil…..most shooters can handle a fair amount of recoil!

It is also dependent upon the fit of the rifle to the shooter, and if the rifle has a good quality recoil pad. The one huge determining factor…….the shooter!

My wife hunts with a .338 WM., but she does minimal shooting from the bench! She doesn’t enjoy bench shooting…..but had zero reservations about picking up her .338 WM when it’s time to go hunting! By the way, she hates muzzle brakes and refuses to even consider using one!

My suggestion…….if at all possible, shoot numerous rifles of different manufacturers and cartridges before making your decision! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 65 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,065
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.