Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thought I'd give this its own thread. What's your thoughts on construction, durability, zero retention?

Sightron S1 3-9x40 G2 - Mil-Dot

https://cameralandny.com/shop/sight...013a-25f4-00163e90e196?variation=3250943

Not made in China. 11.9" 13.6 oz. A little higher price point (+$100) than Burris FF2. But has a MIL reticle. Looking for a couple light non-dialers for a couple Win M70 hunting rifles. Was wanting to go with Trijicon Accupoints, but funds are tight right now.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ElkSnort I think you may have been on one of the two thread I was recently on and I mentioned these- and specified non Chinese choices. Doug sent me an email saying S1 Gen2 reviews have been very favorable and no comparison ( read as much improved) to the earlier Gen1 models. I think it would come down to which reticle you prefer. If you like that Mil-Dot I would say go for it. I preferred the original Burris BDC.
Burris is a known solid performer- except that the original F2 turrets are, like those on my Vx3, a bit mushy. Can't really comment on the E1. The one Sightron I owned had better adjustments but the sole review I saw of the new S1 said the sample of one had just a little slop.
I looked at the S1, a Tract Response, Fullfield2 and FF E1, new exclusive Weaver at Natchez and Meopta- all non Chinese. For my own search I actually found a scope that had ALL features I was looking for- something that never happens. I ended up ordering a VX-Freedom with a Hunter plex. Leupold apparently addressed the mushy turrets and they are easy to read. I did not realize until yesterday they had an available #4 reticle (Hunterplex) without special order or more expense.

Last edited by kenjs1; 04/13/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have two of these

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...013a-2db6-00163e90e196?variation=3114718

I know they are more than the one you are asking about. They track well, turrets feel solid, not mushy, clear, seemed to be made well and hold zero.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Any proof that Leupold did fix mushy turrets ? Curious

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Kenjs1, your input has been very helpful. I was surprised you opted for Leupold.

Deans, those have also been on my radar, just not for these two rifles.

Thanks fellas!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ah yes, MIL reticle and MOA turrets. Really takes you back to the old days.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I hadn't noticed that. Unfortunately, even the Accupoint 3-9×40 doesn't even have matching turrets. It's a shame manufacturers refuse to match up the the turrets on the compact mil reticle scopes.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yep. The turret/reticle issue is irksome. That said, it's a SFP scope with capped turrets. For how I would use it, the only time I'd notice was when sighting in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
elksnort- I am happy if I was able to help. Good luck. I knew others, particular those that go years without buying a new scope, will go through this crazy circuitous route looking for a balance of price and feature. Was nice to commiserate (for a change) with others who can relate on similarly interested models. Like you I even looked at the Accupoints. when i first thought of swapping I had told myself this was the time to finally get a Swarovski. They offer a #4 but in truth I like the "idea" more than the plan. Snob appeal- not knocking Swaro or their owners though- not at all.

Seymour357- I should get it today and will let you know about the turrets. On my older FFII it might be more that the turret is so small it just doesn't transmit the clicks well. That and my older eyes just plain can not read the dial. My newer FF has a larger dial and is easier to use and improved but still could be crisper. MY vx3 clicks are just...softish and very similar feeling to my Burris. After the Weavers, Sightron, Nikon, Bushnell and even less expensive scopes with nice positive clicks it seemed a feature all companies ought to have figured out. I will say no Burris I owned ever lost zero and the VX3 has been rock solid in every way or I would not have gone Leupold again.

Last edited by kenjs1; 04/14/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 54 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.