Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I have been using old school Weaver rings with the large QD thumb screws for over 40 years on 1" scopes. I have never had a set fail, ever.

I have had, and know of many failures with the Redfield style turn on, windage adjustable scope rings and have eliminated them on all of my rifles.

On heavier 30mm scopes Warnes have been my go to with zero failures or issues, and I have upgraded those to Ken Farrells because they are lower with Zero issues. I tried using cheaper 30mm aluminum scope rings when I was young and poor and had several fail.

I do not know of one person who has had a set of old school weaver rings fail and ruin a hunt. Is this everyone else experience or have I just been lucky?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I was taught by a Friend/Member here that the Weavers were among the strongest rings. He came to this conclusion working with a friend who shoots lots of JDJ Contender (pistol) big kickers. I have lots of faith in what he taught me but I did have an issue with these rings. This is a picture of my American in 450 Bushmaster when I first got it years ago. I could not group this gun worth a crap I tried many things including having the fine folks at Ruger on the phone going over anything they could help with, finally they said send it in. I was stripping the rifle to ship and seen the straps were sliding. I reset the rings torqued the crap out of the screws with the aid of a wheeler torque wrench and the same thing.
I called Weaver got a really help full guy that was around and he sent me a set of tactical rings problem solved.

With this happening and the pain in the butt of keeping the scope square after you torque the screws I just dont use them anymore

BUT There have been Millions of guns with these rings with no issue, I have owned many but today I just think there are better easier choices

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dad had a set on his Pre 64 70 for what, 40 years. never a problem

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Only if your dumb enough to get to between them and the scope.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fail, no. But I’ve seen them slip from not being degreased, they leave nasty ring marks, and are a serious PITA to level a reticle. About the only thing they do is work! Still far better choices out there that are more user friendly.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have had them fail in the same way, only more so, as boatboy illustrated above. I had them on a pre-64 Model 70 in .375 H&H, and the straps slipped about halfway forward due to the recoil.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope, they might be homely, but they are rugged and do what they were designed to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dearly wish they’d abandon those crappy slotted screws. WTF uses those anymore?

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
... But I’ve seen them slip from not being degreased, they leave nasty ring marks, and are a serious PITA to level a reticle. ... Still far better choices out there that are more user friendly.

I, too, have noted all of the above.

Originally Posted by Pappy348
I dearly wish they’d abandon those crappy slotted screws.

+1.

I've missed shots on game, with 2 different rifles, owing to those screws having come loose. I began carrying my FatWrench to the range to confirm settings before & after each session, & before going afield.

I've since moved on to other rings. Just my $.02

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Weaver fan for well over a half century...didn't think they could be improved on...I was wrong, a few years ago Weaver came out with the Quad Lock series, less stress on the main tube, even with a reduced surface area the actual bearing surface/ gripping power is increased. I was so impressed I took all my old rings to the milling machine and converted them to Quad Lock style. If I am selected to the Mars mission, my expedition rifle will have Weavers.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The slotted screws and the rotation during tightening are a pain but once you get them set they are as good as any other. Weaver will send new screws, no questions asked. I have over torqued a few of the cross bolts which later broke and caused poor groups but one call or email to weaver and you will be back in business. Great customer service.

I think their low rings are lower than any other if you want the lowest possible mount.

God Bless America
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Got a set of these on a 700 classic 35 Whelen. A bit of a trick/luck to level as noted, but I'd install them again in a heart beat. They've always appealed to me as awesomely strong and at a price point I could manage at the time. They also work quite well as detachable rings. I often alternate to iron sights for cast bullet loads, but then switch back to the scope for regular hunting. The zero returns almost perfectly, and certainly more than well enough for reasonable shots on game

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I to like the ease of quick removal. My A-bolt has them with a redfield scope mount peep "just in case". I will be adding the same peep to my levers with weaver pivot rings once my shop, and the mill / drill are set back up.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've never had a set of rings by anyone fail. Have a set of Redfield verticle split rings on my 30-06 that have been on it since 1945! That's a long time. Shoot I even had a set of Tasco rings years ago and they were ugly as sin but worked! Think I have a few set's of Weaver's in there right now and have to be close to 30yrs old. yes sir, pain to level the scope with them but they do work!

Last edited by DonFischer; 04/13/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Strong and the lightest mounts I've used. Never had a set fail! Ugly but they work.

Last edited by Switch; 04/13/23.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use warne and ken farrell rings. I also use ken farrell bases. I use those old weavers on my lever rifles only because they look right too me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used a bunch of them because when they are paired with a Warne one piece scope base they are the lowest setup you can get for scoping your Marlin levergun. I have never had a scope slip or move with them. I have stripped out the threads on a couple because I had to tighten and then loosen about 100 times to get the darn scope leveled correctly though.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am seeing a lot of people who don't know how to level the scope in Weaver rings. Simply tighten the one at the far-most back, holding the scope level, then tighten the far front one. Tighten them just enough to hold the scope in place without pivoting, then tighten the two closest ones in the middle about the same.

Once you have all four reasonably tight, do the sequence over, tightening the screws down.

Use finger nail polish as a screw lock, BTW. Weavers appreciate old school. wink

I especially like the older round crossbolt mounts that center themselves and re-center themselves when you use the older big knobs. They are surprisingly repeatable QD mounts. In 63 years shooting everything from 22s to 375s of several designs I've never had a problem with the old big knob weaver mounts and with aluminum bases.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Nope, they might be homely, but they are rugged and do what they were designed to do.

This

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
... But I’ve seen them slip from not being degreased, they leave nasty ring marks, and are a serious PITA to level a reticle. ... Still far better choices out there that are more user friendly.

I, too, have noted all of the above.

Originally Posted by Pappy348
I dearly wish they’d abandon those crappy slotted screws.

+1.

I've missed shots on game, with 2 different rifles, owing to those screws having come loose. I began carrying my FatWrench to the range to confirm settings before & after each session, & before going afield.

I've since moved on to other rings. Just my $.02

FC
I think you 3 amigos could f'''k up an anvil.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 69 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,814
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.