Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the Partition a good bullet? Yes.
Is it still 1948? No (lots of good bullets)
The only Noslers I've bought recently come from SPS, they're seconds and even they are often priced ridiculously.

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I just don’t understand the need for premium bullets on deer sized game. I think loading the correct weight bullet at a reasonable speed is all you need.

Sure, if you have a magnum cartridge shooting a conventional cup and core at high velocity and shoot a critter up close you will have explosive results. That situation then leads me to the conclusion that most people hunting deer with magnum cartridges are over-gunned. My recent foray into more modest cartridges like the 6.5 Grendel really changed perception on what makes a good deer rifle.

I’m not knocking one’s decision for using a magnum round and/or premium bullets. I just think that when you fall into those categories then you have to accept the higher costs associated with shooting those more powerful rounds. Even still, if I used my 300 Win Mag for deer, I’d probably load a 200 grain cup and core around 2900 fps rather than a much more expensive, lighter weight premium bullet to chase speed. There isn’t a deer alive that will stop a 200 grain SGK at 2900 fps.

Took me a while, but I finally made meat with my Grendel last Fall, using the semi-premium 120gr Gold Dot. Made a marginal shot offhand and left-handed, but the bonded bullet dropped her in her tracks and sailed off into the ether after maybe a foot of penetration, including presumably the spine (someone else cut her up). Can’t imagine a better outcome. After years of blowing big, burping holes through deer with various cup & core bullets from .308s, .270s etc. I have to agree that often we’re over-gunned for average whitetails in the woods. Have to say, however, that Partitions have performed admirably in every instance where I used them, without excessive jellification of the eating meat, BUT they all have fortuitously been placed very neatly low in the chest, through the heart thus far. Different placement might change my mind.

My sons have each taken a deer with my 100gr .243 Partition loads with excellent results as well, but I wasn’t present to determine the shot placement. I suppose the case might be made for using the spendy slugs in smaller calibers, especially if you enjoy two holes in your deer. At some point, I hope to verify all the enthusiasm for the 95gr BTs, as I have a good many on hand, purchased cheaply as blems, and now essentially free since so much time has passed.

You want a small caliber bullet that will perforate both side of a deer? Check this one out.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010619848?pid=126472

$0.18/each. Shot out of a standard 223 Rem. Leaves a nice 40 caliberish sized hole coming out. Haven’t caught one yet and have killed deer out to 200 yards with it. Admittedly, these were all shot through the rib cage and I haven’t put one through any shoulders or taken any raking shots. I did drop a 200+ pound hog at a lasered 270 yards though. Bullet went through the skull, in and out, killing the boar instantly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s an old standby for many, IIRC. I have enough Gold Dots to last me, and a bunch of ABLRs in reserve.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You guys are late to the party. I quit buying NP - bullets or factory - about 15 years ago as being too much money for too little gain. Mostly went back to C&C at that time, with zero regrets or problems.

That said, I'm in the process of loading up a box of .338 WM 210 NP, and 40-50 of 200 FB, which came with the used rifle over 30 years ago... I flat refuse to die with those things taking up space! smile

They should be fine on caribou, coyotes, skunks, and grasshoppers. Ok- not skunks, we don't have them here.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've never killed anything with a nosler bullet but I think they probably make good bullet's, probably good as any bullet. Was going to set up mu 6.5x06 to use 140gr Nosler partitions but didn't have any loaded up when I needed them so simply used mynold stand by Hornady 140gr SP's. Just kept on using them. Thing I believe about bullet's is they all work as designed but we all have preference's for what we like! Even those early Nosler BT's I'd bet no animal could take one in the head and live even with all the bad press they got. What has always got me about Nosler bullet's is the cost! Seem's they were about twice what cup and core cost me and I doubt they ever killed anything any deader! I've always been a bit tight with my money. That's why I don't try mono's or bonded bullet's. Bonded of choice for me would be Speer Hot Cores. May not qualify as bonded but work the same at half the cost!

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I've never killed anything with a nosler bullet but I think they probably make good bullet's, probably good as any bullet. Was going to set up mu 6.5x06 to use 140gr Nosler partitions but didn't have any loaded up when I needed them so simply used mynold stand by Hornady 140gr SP's. Just kept on using them. Thing I believe about bullet's is they all work as designed but we all have preference's for what we like! Even those early Nosler BT's I'd bet no animal could take one in the head and live even with all the bad press they got. What has always got me about Nosler bullet's is the cost! Seem's they were about twice what cup and core cost me and I doubt they ever killed anything any deader! I've always been a bit tight with my money. That's why I don't try mono's or bonded bullet's. Bonded of choice for me would be Speer Hot Cores. May not qualify as bonded but work the same at half the cost!

Speer Hot Cores are not bonded. Recovering one dispels that nonsense.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I’ve never used a hot-cor, but I did buy a couple boxes for my 280 AI. These are the 160 grain variety. What have your experiences been like with the hot-cors, Pathfinder?

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
They aren’t bonded. I’ve seen them slip the core completely.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by horse1
Hornady makes up the vast majority of availability in the USA as well.

Only a guess but I suspect the cost of doing business in Oregon (Nosler) is pretty high compared to Nebraska (Hornady).

Not really, I just think Nosler has had the Cartels invest in them since Covid..

I've sent them emails, when I get ads from the Shooters Pro Shop. Tell them when they quit having Drug Dealer Pricing on their products, I'll start using them once again. What little you find on the Shelves at our local Sportsman's Warehouse, over $100 a box for a box of 100 count RDF target bullets in 22 and 24 caliber... Others need to send them the same about their prices.. At least it will give them an incentive to get back into the real world once again.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I’ve never used a hot-cor, but I did buy a couple boxes for my 280 AI. These are the 160 grain variety. What have your experiences been like with the hot-cors, Pathfinder?

My brother shot a midsize whitetail buck this year with a Hot Cor 7mm 160 from his 280. MV right at 2800. He shot the buck quartering towards him at 60 yards. He did hit a shoulder and the buck dropped there. The bullet did lose its core and he found both pieces. Hard to conclude much from a single instance, but I wouldn’t care to break elk shoulders with one.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,146
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.