Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I own 2 Sig P320's 1 in 9mm and 1 in 357 Sig. They stayed loaded 24/7 and they have NEVER, EVERY fired on their own.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
There was a video of a comp shooter that showed his hands off the gun and his went off but being a GoPro type camera, it wasn’t exactly clear what happened. That video disappeared.

This was the guy who was raising both hands into the "high ready" position, right? I never got to see the video, but I have to wonder if part of his shirt got into the holster and was pulled up by that motion. The disappeared video suggests that maybe it was visible, but I'm just guessing.

Anyway, this sheds some light. Don't forget to watch the video....

https://www.concealedcarry.com/fire...safe-to-carry-or-can-it-fire-on-its-own/

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yea, I just can’t see how they’re going off without something pushing the trigger, or physics in action and the trigger mass moves (like the early problems).
I’ve learned a lot in the last two days digging into this stuff.I really wasn’t educated much on the striker guns in terms of how they differ in striker design. It’s interesting to me that every major manufacturer except for Glock (unless I’m mistaken) has the firing pin in the full aft position, loaded under spring tension. The Glock design does get a thumbs up from me in that regard. It gives a peace of mind, to me at least, that the others lack.
Truth be told though, if this recent noise hadn’t come to my attention, I don’t believe I would’ve given the safety of our recently acquired p365 any thought at all. I would just assume it’s safe, along with all other major brands of striker handguns.
It is a bit of a bummer that there still seems to be some uncertainty out there on the matter.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The first video I saw was a different guy, that’s the one that disappeared. Similar situation though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1973cb450
Yea, I just can’t see how they’re going off without something pushing the trigger, or physics in action and the trigger mass moves (like the early problems).
I’ve learned a lot in the last two days digging into this stuff.I really wasn’t educated much on the striker guns in terms of how they differ in striker design. It’s interesting to me that every major manufacturer except for Glock (unless I’m mistaken) has the firing pin in the full aft position, loaded under spring tension. The Glock design does get a thumbs up from me in that regard. It gives a peace of mind, to me at least, that the others lack.
Truth be told though, if this recent noise hadn’t come to my attention, I don’t believe I would’ve given the safety of our recently acquired p365 any thought at all. I would just assume it’s safe, along with all other major brands of striker handguns.
It is a bit of a bummer that there still seems to be some uncertainty out there on the matter.

Kahrs also have a partially cocked striker.

The P365 mechanism is slightly different from the P320. I'm not aware of any claims of the 365 firing itself.

IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
As for the Glock being only partially cocked, it’s still enough to set off a primer. I’ve got Striker Control Devices from Langdon Tactical on a couple of Glocks. It allows you to thumb the striker cover plate and prevent the trigger from being pulled. Comforting when holstering but if the striker block fails, it’ll still go off same as the rest of them.

Never point your gun at anything you aren’t willing to destroy.

The best excuse I read was that on the 320 if a certain spring gets weak and a part gets worn, a bump could trip the striker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
The best excuse I read was that on the 320 if a certain spring gets weak and a part gets worn, a bump could trip the striker.

Three ifs. IF the sear is worn or breaks, and IF the secondary sear breaks, and IF the striker block fails. For all three to happen, you'd have to be one unlucky individual. And it would be easily demonstrated as the cause.

Oh - four ifs. IF something pulls the trigger. But that doesn't require bad luck.

Of course, if these parts are out of spec, that should be provable as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Really interesting stuff guys. Has made me think a lot about not only the mechanical aspects/designs of these different guns mentioned, but also a broader subject of carrying and general safety practices.
The comment “never point your gun at anything you aren’t willing to destroy” is powerful, and true.
This is what we’re taught. Along with the muscle memory movements of operating firearms we’re familiar with safely, and of course trigger finger discipline.
It is something, that much of this goes away when carrying handguns. Especially small handguns, IWB, and most certainly the appendix carry.
There’s parts of the year where I carry and handle firearms for months at a time. These are mostly rifles in and out of packs, scabbards, and on and off shoulders with slings. There are also times when larger handguns come in and out of belt holsters. I’ve never carried a CCW handgun, so I don’t have much knowledge of how that really feels, day in and day out.
I do know that it is nearly impossible not to develop some complacency regarding the way you handle firearms when it becomes so mundane and part of a daily routine. It’s just human nature to do so.
Point is, you really have to fight it, and check yourself, to maintain safe practices and never cut corners.
I wonder how much of this factors in to our larger discussion here.
And as for appendix carry….not sure I trust any firearm that much, and more importantly, not sure I trust myself enough to not have a slip up. Just so many variables and the risk doesn’t seem equal to the reward

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by FreeMe
The P365 mechanism is slightly different from the P320. I'm not aware of any claims of the 365 firing itself.

Some of these AD/ND reports may have been written the way they were to avoid embarrassment, reprimand and/or termination of employment.

The SRO in the cafeteria was playing with his pistol.
The female officer with the swinging bags had an unholstered pistol in one of the bags.
Another was a jacket tensioning string that fouled the holster.

The civilian version of the P320 doesn't have a manual safety nor does it have a trigger blade safety.
For those reasons, the operator has to be aware or choose a different design.

I've been all through these pistols, assembling them from boxes of loose parts.
I think it's a great design, it's just not for everyone.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s interesting to me that every major manufacturer except for Glock (unless I’m mistaken) has the firing pin in the full aft position, loaded under spring tension. The Glock design does get a thumbs up from me in that regard. It gives a peace of mind, to me at least, that the others lack.

That's not correct - double action striker-fired pistols are common, Glock, S&W, Sig, etc. The most notable exception is the XD and some of its variants.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JOG
It’s interesting to me that every major manufacturer except for Glock (unless I’m mistaken) has the firing pin in the full aft position, loaded under spring tension. The Glock design does get a thumbs up from me in that regard. It gives a peace of mind, to me at least, that the others lack.

That's not correct - double action striker-fired pistols are common, Glock, S&W, Sig, etc. The most notable exception is the XD and some of its variants.

Oh ok gotcha. I thought that with S & W or Sig for example the firing pin portion of the striker assembly was, for lack of my terminology, fully aft, or cocked, being held where it is by whatever companies specific design features. Whereas the Glock firing pin was only partially aft, or cocked, and the full trigger stroke is what brought it to that full aft state?
I did see the comment earlier on how even partially compressed striker assembly in the Glocks would still have enough energy to set off a primer, so I guess that’s not as positive an aspect as I originally thought.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I did see the comment earlier on how even partially compressed striker assembly in the Glocks would still have enough energy to set off a primer, so I guess that’s not as positive an aspect as I originally thought.
I saw that comment.
And that's exactly how Internet BS gets started and then 10 years later the same thing gets repeated.
The consensus you'll find is that a Glock striker spring is 70% charged when the pistol is in battery and ready to fire.
I've never seen an official statement from Glock on the matter, however.

I don't know if anyone can definitively say that a 70% charged Glock striker spring will ignite a primer.
I wouldn't want to be standing in front of it, but there are variables such as primer cup hardness, etc.
I've also seen/read unscientific tests where the primer did not ignite with a 70% charge.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Perhaps I should’ve just said I wouldn’t count on the Glock partially cocked striker as being safe. I just err on the side of caution and say it will go off so don’t be stupid.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you are looking at a used p320, just do a quick check and see if the upgrade was done.

I'm also in the camp where I think there is more to these discharges than what's being written. Kinda reminds me of that whole Remington 700 thing from years ago

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,819
Posts18,496,482
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.