-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Going to D&T my Win. Anyone know what fits best? Trying to decide between Weaver bases or a rail or?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it were me, I would be using the Weaver style bases- probably in a Warne steel version if they are available, but nothing wrong with the Weavers on a rimfire.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I wouldn't drill it if it is in decent shape. Look to buy a later version with the grooved receiver.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by papalondog
I wouldn't drill it if it is in decent shape. Look to buy a later version with the grooved receiver.
It was drilled and tapped for other sights before I got it so a few more holes aren't going to affect the value negatively.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here is a picture which might be helpful. I don't know what the other holes are for. Is there a scope mount that fits the holes on the side of the receiver?
I don't recall my dad ever having a scope on this.
Are those holes for a Weaver side mount?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Blacktailer; 04/11/23.

Jack O'Connor
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Those holes appear to be for a Weaver side-mount, they are scarce but I'll bet some searching on E-Bay and other gunsites may find you one. If it was mine I would just put a couple of plug screws in the existing holes and drill and tap it for top mount Weaver bases, that would give a larger selection of rings and ring heights than using the side mount, and would likely be less expensive also. is link to a sidemount but then you still would need to find the rings that work with it.

Side mount link - this is link to a sidemount but then you still would need to find the rings that work with it.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...L7zab-tjX5PeEklqsymaP5Mg7_xoCtuQQAvD_BwE

Weaver bases chart -

https://www.weaveroptics.com/on/dem...les/weaverPdf/2020_WeaverMountsChart.pdf

drover

p.s. - I had a 69A just like yours and I used the Weaver aluminum bases and never had an issue with them. You can find the base numbers you need in the attached base chart.

Last edited by drover; 04/11/23.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Weaver bases- loctite black max(380)-done

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Weaver bases on order.
Thanks 👍

Jack O'Connor
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Win 69s are great. Very accurate.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Follow up. Borrowed this Forster sight and mount drilling fixture from a friend. What a slick little tool!
Don't know if the Kahles will stay on it or not. I have a 6X SWFA on backorder.
I'll get it out to the range on Friday.

Jack O'Connor
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My 69A was factory grooved for tip off mts and that's what I used 1" weaver tip offs. My understanding was the 69's were replaced by the 69A because of the lack of scope mounting capability on the 69 other than a d & t job like the op did..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
My 69A was factory grooved for tip off mts and that's what I used 1" weaver tip offs. My understanding was the 69's were replaced by the 69A because of the lack of scope mounting capability on the 69 other than a d & t job like the op did..mb
Interesting. Mine is a 69A but has no grooves.

Jack O'Connor
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The earlier 69As didn’t have grooves and had to be d&t. I may be wrong but I believe the 69A was just a model with different features rather than a replacement. I had a 69A as my first rifle. They’re good shooters. I like that jig Blacktailer used to drill his. I remember what my dad went through drilling and tapping mine.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It was made by Forster. Don't know if they still have them. My friend that I borrowed it from has done tons of Mausers with it and it is much easier than setting up a mill.
Looked it up out of curiosity.
https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/universal-sight-mounting-fixture/

Last edited by Blacktailer; 05/11/23.

Jack O'Connor
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is a huge difference between the 69 and the 69A... the A cocks on bolt opening... COO. the 69 is cock on close... COC. That is a huge difference in a kid gun.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have only 69As and some are grooved, some are not.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
B
I realize this is two months too late, but the two holes on the side of the receiver were likely for an old Weaver side mount.

A T1 or T3, introduced in 1939, looks to fit that hole pattern, and while specified for the 69, will fit the 69A as well.

More info on old Weaver scope mounts here:
https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/weavermanualsandinstructions

Your rifle was likely made in the 1941-1942 time frame, based on the photos.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.