Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Last Christmas, several people asked for a copy of Heart Shots, the over-a-century long collection of women writing about hunting--including Annie Oakley, Vivienne de Watteville and our own Mrs. MuleDeer. (FYI, Vivienne, born in 1900, and her Swiss naturalist father were in Africa for the Berne Natural History Museum, collecting elephants, when M. de Wattville was killed by a lion. Vivienne finished the expedition, doing the shooting, taxidermy prep, leader of the pack, etc, etc, etc. She fulfilled the contract.)
I had no copies then, but I have 4 now: 1 hard cover ($45.00) and 3 soft covers ($32.00 each.)

I also have several other out-of-print books on hand: a few copies each of my fish cookbooks: Classic Freshwater Fish Cookery and Freshwater Fish Cookbook, as well as a handful of The Duck and Goose Cookery originally published by Ducks Unlimited. Each of those for $20.

They're not on the website, so just give me a call. 406-521-0273. There's no extra shipping fee but, of course, it's first come first served.
Leenie3Freezers (Eileen)

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
GB1

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Our local lake will be thawed soon, and that means the rainbow run will be going full tilt. Catch it right and you can land 20-23 inch rainbows--sometimes a limit--in a pretty short time.
Then what do you do?
Smoking is handy, since fillets can be wrapped and frozen for a cool July dinner, or July 4th party. Crackers, or cole slaw, a nice cold beer. A little brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes and crushed cumin seeds is really easy. Just one of many recipes for trout, bass, pan fish, walleye, pike--you get it--in The Freshwater Fish Cookbook. Limited quantities--for this great addition to your game cooking library. They're not on the web site so just call me at 406-521-0273.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
“Heart Shots” is a good read.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
How many ducks and geese do you have in your freezer? How many recipes for them? Among the out of print books I have on hand are a handful of Duck & Goose cookery--originally published by Ducks Unlimited. (Actually they left out an 'i' in the first printing, so it reads Ducks Unlimted, which is kinda hard to say.)

For those who smoke their waterfowl, there's a little something for the odds and ends left over: smoked w-fowl soup. So easy and a healthy dose of fresh sliced jalapenos, it's really tasty. And for grillers, there are several variations, including butterflying a goose breast and rubbing it with a bit of brown sugar. (I've always thought waterfowl has a siightly burnt flavor, and the brown sugar--plus not overcooking it--fixes that.

And yes, as with all of my game books there's a long section on prepping waterfowl, as well as aging and dressing it. Usually it's in the front of the book; in the w-fowl book it's toward the back.

Lots of recipes, lots of color photos, lots of b&w how-to photos, $20 and a very limited supply, 406-521-0273.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Out of Print books: I still have a few. Including The Freshwater Fish Cookbook and its sister, Classics of Freshwater Fish. And while I just read this am that F&G is delaying work at Fort Peck reservoir because of this never-ending-winter, the bite will be on soon. Even here.

The Freshwater Fish offers lightly fried fish bites (Any non-oily fish like bass, pike, walleye, etc) with a sweet and sour sauce, perch tempora and Szechuan Bass stir Fry as well as smoked, pickled, baked, bacon-fried and curried trout.
The Classics book includes Trout Almondine (it sounds fancy but it's just a twist on fried fish), Foil-Baked Trout with a Champagne Sauce, Perch Chowder, Pike Etouffe, Stuffed Chili Rellenos, Walleye Cioppino, Friters Caribbean Style, on and on and on.
Those are each $20. And shipping as always is free.

Last Christmas, several people asked for a copy of Heart Shots, the over-a-century long collection of women writing about hunting--including Annie Oakley, Vivienne de Watteville and our own Mrs. MuleDeer. (FYI, Vivienne, born in 1900, and her Swiss naturalist father were in Africa for the Berne Natural History Museum, collecting elephants, when M. de Wattville was killed by a lion. Vivienne finished the expedition, doing the shooting, taxidermy prep, leader of the pack, etc, etc, etc. She fulfilled the contract.)
I had no copies then, but I have 4 now: 1 hard cover ($45.00) and 3 soft covers ($32.00 each.) If you have a daughter, sister, cousin, girlfriend you'd love to have join in the freezer-filling, Heart Shots is inspiring.

I also have a handful of The Duck and Goose Cookery originally published by Ducks Unlimited. Each of those for $20.

They're not on the website, so just give me a call. 406-521-0273. There's no extra shipping fee but, of course, it's first come first served.
Leenie3Freezers (Eileen)

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Need a Mother's Day present? Game cookbooks? Heart Shots? It will be here before you know it!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just placed my order for Heart Shots for my daughter. I know she’ll love it. Now, do I wait and give it to her for Christmas?

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I'd say whatever season opens next in your state, that day, would be perfect. (Plus a baggie of her favorite candy.) That would be a great tradition to start, for her and the daughters she'll introduce to hunting!

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Freshwater Fish recipes? Duck & Goose recipes? There's never enough! They used to sell for $26 on up--and now they're only $20 each! Grab them while they last.

Heart Shots was even more! it's now $32 for soft cover and $45 for the hard cover copy.

They're not on the website, so email me at riflesandrecipesgmail.com or call 406-521-0273.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 160user, 1_deuce, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,421
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.