-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The more I learn and experience in this hobby/sport the more amazing it is to see how this caliber can be readily made from this caliber. What is the other barrel of your cape gun, 16 ga?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 44magtrapper
The more I learn and experience in this hobby/sport the more amazing it is to see how this caliber can be readily made from this caliber. What is the other barrel of your cape gun, 16 ga?

Mine is a 12gauge which makes this a VERY useful rig. Here is a link where there are some photos of it near the bottom of the thread.
http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7518997/Cape_Guns#Post7518997

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is a very good looking rifle, always wanted a combo gun like that. That would be a very useful set-up.

P
P
Hello you all!
Just rejoigned this forum; I was looking for data on reforming and handloading 8mm. Mauser brass fo use in a 9x57 Mauser C.G Haenel prewar carbine I chanced on, about three years ago.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]CJ HAENEL 1BIS_zpsl2q9gvuf

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]CJ HAENEL 2BIS_zpslwrczair

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]CJ HAENEL 3bis_zpsf28imly4 by .com/photos/152393085N06/]NOAM NAUGHT

I got the brass and dies, now, I'm looking for appropriate bullets for it. I know it likes 250gr. round nose bullets but...
Maybe I should resort to gas-checked cast bullets for fireforming? Lee offers one mould for the 35 Remington (C-358-200RF). Any experience with it?.

PP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My guess is there's a little spring back after running your bullets through the sizer

Last edited by Bugger; 12/14/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

N
N
Originally Posted by castnblast
But bullets sized .357 just barely fit in the fired cases. I can push them in by hand but there is quite a bit of friction. Should I be concerned? I do not have any cerrosafe available.

Thanks for your thoughts!

NecroThread from the Dead redux

I believe, too often we get caught up in the nuances, and forget to look at the big picture.
Then some folks start to really over think things.
Some things in reloading really are not that complicated.
Many of the ODGs have worked through these issues, and their conclusions are still valid.

If the bullet fits into the case with resistance, no problem
If the bullet fits into the case AFTER chamfering with no resistance, no problem
IF you think about it, the bullet is pretty much out of the case before pressure is up enough to expand the neck, the bullet being just forced forward into the leade
Peak pressure is when the bullet is around 9" down the barrel.
The neck is expanded to full diameter only after the bullet is into the barrel
So as long as the brass isn't "Pinched" to crimp itself hard into the bullet, there is no problem

The issue with the mouth/chamfer.... is the crimp. When a crimped round is fired, the very end of the case where the crimp was is not full expanded as it is very difficult to move anything with little leverage.
There is already pressure being exerted on the OUTSIDE of the mouth between the neck and chamber wall. enough that the mouth never fully gets ironed out.
But then if you chamfer the case, you remove that bit of narrowing, and the bullet falls right in.

Unless your case is pinched upon chambering, there will never be issues of pressure increased cased by tight neck. You really only need 0.0001" or less of neck clearance to fully release the bullet.

My opinion on this, if the appropriate loaded cartridge falls into the chamber when you tip the barrel down, and falls out when you lift the barrel up, you are not going to have any issues of pressure related to the brass/chamber relationship

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.