Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
308xray Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
In the market for a 17HMR. I am not considering 22lr or mag. This is strictly for the 17 hmr.

I am considering the 3 rifles above. Give me your arguments for & against each and why do you favor one over the other.
For the T1x, I am looking at the shorter barrel 16inch, although not against the 20inch.

Looking to purchase within a week or so. Just getting my funds ready.

-Thanks

Last edited by 308xray; 04/15/23.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the 457 a LOT, but a big part of that is the availability of nice wood stocks and easily changeable barrels. Mine started out as Varmint MTR, but after a couple of years I picked up a Premier barrel and stock take-off set and turned it into a euro-style sporter, then sold my stock and barrel, net cost=0. For about $200 I can turn it into a .17 just as easily. The quality of the wood and metalwork is very good.

OTOH, a friend has the Tikka (in .22 LR), it’s the most accurate .22 he owns, and he loves the soulless little bugger. After seeing his groups, I can’t blame him.

Don’t know anyone with a BMR.
[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tikka!

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 308xray
In the market for a 17HMR. I am not considering 22lr or mag. This is strictly for the 17 hmr.
I am considering the 3 rifles above. Give me your arguments for & against each and why do you favor one over the other.
For the T1x, I am looking at the shorter barrel 16inch, although not against the 20inch.
Looking to purchase within a week or so. Just getting my funds ready.
-Thanks
I have no experience with the Bergara BMR nor the current gen CZ 457s. I have (had) older 452 CZs in 17HM2, 22LR, and 22 Mag and loved them - all very accurate. I had a CZ 455 in 17HMR but it wasn't accurate, as in 1-2 inch groups at 50 yards with a wide variety of ammo. It went down the road fast. I currently own two Tikka T1xs - one each in 22LR and 17HMR, and both with 20 inch barrels. Both are very accurate with wonderful triggers. Another nice feature is that the Tikkas allow for the use of the pistol grip module on their stocks which I really prefer. Another option in favor of the T1x is the availability of aftermarket stocks for the centerfire T3x guns that should fit the rimfire T1x models (at least in theory).

For my use, I would not want a 16 inch barrel in a 17HMR. The exception would be if one wants to add a suppressor and is trying to keep the overall length down. Even then I think I would opt for a 20 inch barrel.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
308xray Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My thought exactly. I wasn’t sure I really need the suppressor for 17. On the 22 yes, 17 is way pass subsonic that the suppress may not be worth it. Not sure how much noise it would reduce

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m a BMR fan. Have the LR and the MAG. Super simple trigger mod makes an already good trigger incredible. Looked at the T1X but to heavy for what I want a rimfire for. Still love my old 452 but No experience with the 457. Probably one decision you really can’t go wrong on!

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I’m a BMR fan. Have the LR and the MAG. Super simple trigger mod makes an already good trigger incredible. Looked at the T1X but to heavy for what I want a rimfire for. Still love my old 452 but No experience with the 457. Probably one decision you really can’t go wrong on!

The specs show the T1x with 20" barrel weight @ 5.3 lbs

The Bergara BMR with 20" carbon fiber barrel @ 5.4 lbs

The Bergara BMR with 18" steel barrel @ 5.5 lbs

Since these are all synthetic stocked rifles the weights should be pretty accurate. I don't see how you have arrived at the conclusion that the Tikka is to heavy since it is the lightest of them. Perhaps you misread??

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drover

Since these are all synthetic stocked rifles the weights should be pretty accurate. I don't see how you have arrived at the conclusion that the Tikka is to heavy since it is the lightest of them. Perhaps you misread??

drover

Obviously, he's never held one. I've looked at them and the Tikka is too light for my needs. Hence the reason I say bring on the heavy barrel. I'll bet bearcat's scores would go up, if the rifle were a little heavier as well. If they offered a 20" HB, I'd buy one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I own a BMR carbon and i like it very much, it runs smooth and is very accurate with a variety of ammo. I also own a 457 American but with its 24" steel barrel and wood stock i consider these rifles very different, if I was forced to choose between the two id opt for the BMR even though I think the 457 runs smoother and is equally as accurate as the BMR carbon...I was anxious to get my hands on a T1x until i did, i am a big Tikka T3x fan but I was not impressed with the way the T1x felt in my hands, but by all accounts they are Tikka typically accurate..Good luck..Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one they had in the shop I was at was super heavy but was in some sort of chassis system…just assumed they were all heavy, my apologies…

IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d get the cz before they quit making them

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The one they had in the shop I was at was super heavy but was in some sort of chassis system…just assumed they were all heavy, my apologies…

I wonder if it were rebarreled too??? The ones I looked at were all super lite. Too light in fact. I did not like them, and I love the T3x, so that is saying something. Hell, if they matched the barrel contour of the T3x, I'd buy one. Come on Tikka!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
I’d get the cz before they quit making them

CZ has done some strange things. Like discontinuing the very popular 527. I was holding one of the nicest 457's the other day and it was not a bad deal. The grain in the wood was awesome. It was damn tempting, but honestly I doubt it would shoot any better than my Savage MK2's. I just can't get excited over 22lr's, as I have a 10-22 that outshoots most.

BSA MAGA
308xray Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

drover
I believe the weight specs is wrong for the tikka. In person you immediately notice that is is heavy than the BMR carbon. Now I held both but only in the 22lr version. I don’t think the 17hmr is much different.

Last edited by 308xray; 04/18/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 308xray

drover
I believe the weight specs is wrong for the tikka. In person you immediately notice that is is heavy than the BMR carbon. Now I held both but only in the 22lr version. I don’t think the 17hmr is much different.

That is strange. The Tikka's I've looked at were extremely lightweight. WTF is right here? I bore of doing google search, but I'm sure it's a 3 second look..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't know where those Tikka weight specs above were posted, but for a Tikka T1x MTR with a 20" barrel I do believe they are wrong.

The Tikka I owned weighed 5lbs 15 ounces unloaded.

My current CZ 457 Synthetic 22LR with the 20 threaded barrel weighs 5lbs 4 ounces . It's barrel contour is quite a bit lighter than the Tikka , but the CZ shoots every bit as well.

Last edited by jk16; 04/18/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jk16
I don't know where those Tikka weight specs above were posted, but for a Tikka T1x MTR with a 20" barrel I do believe they are wrong.

My current CZ 457 Synthetic 22LR with the 20 threaded barrel weighs 5lbs 4 ounces . It's barrel contour is quite a bit lighter than the Tikka , but the CZ shoots every bit as well.

So, I just checked out the Sportsman's warehouse description on the Tikka MTR model. They give a weight of 6.4 pounds, and has a heavier barrel than the ones I've been looking at. Is that correct? If so, I may go and check one out. I would change the stock out with one of my spare varmint model stocks. That might be a sweet setup.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jk16

I took the specs for all three from the Sportsmans Warehouse site.

I have handled all three and I didn't notice any significant difference in weight. Not that it really matters since I am very happy with the Tikka just as it is. It is designated as MTR - Multi Task Rimfire and for my uses (gopher shooting) it is perfect as is.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Beautiful stock!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
CZ feeds amazingly well
Tikka has tikka accuracy
Begara is at the bottom of my list.

All in all I’d pick Tikka just because I love them. I have CZ and Tikka and will pick the tikka up every time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (1lessdog, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 35 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,771
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.