Print Thread
Hop To
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I ran across a very nice condition Browning BPR this weekend when I was in between baseball games at my grandsons tournament this weekend. The rifle was very very clean and had a Leupold VX-3 4-14.5 if I remember right. They were asking $1200 at Cabelas and I had $900 in Cabelas points. Thinking I should have bought it, but I had no time research it and I wouldnt use it.. just collect it. I saw a few high priced adds on Gunbroker and forums that appeared to be completed.

what is the collectability of the rifle?

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Collectability? By that you mean what would be your predicted percentage of ROI over a given period of years? Nobody can answer that for you. It's all speculation. If you want to invest in guns for anticipated profit you need to study up on S&W revolvers, lever-action Winchesters and various Colts. When you factor in the true cost of acquiring and keeping guns as investment items (not to mention inflation) and the risk involved it becomes obvious (to me anyway) it's not a game for casual amateurs. If you have to ask if a particular gun is "collectable" you are definitely in that category, especially if it's a Japanese Browning you're asking about.

Do yourself a favor: quit worrying about "collectability" and buy high-quality American and European guns that you want to use. Take care of them, enjoy them. Your heirs will get something out of them close to what you put in them if you take care of them. If you (they) get real lucky, they'll make a little on the deal. If you just want to make money on your money, study finance.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slightly different take.

Cra1948 is investing carefully. Buying Blue Chip stocks so to speak.

That BPR represents a solid Up and Comer. The dollars involved seem
reasonable, considering the scope. Where it goes from here is an unknown.
Up, down, stagnate? More risk, chance of higher return.

If you want to buy guns for the sake of investing, look to Ruger and CDNN closeouts.
Buy the freaks no one wants. At blowout.
I didn't buy, but saw real potential income of the Super Redhawks.
Who really wanted a boat anchor in 10mm?
Everyone, after it is discontinued and no longer available.
Suddenly everyone knows exactly how many were made, and they want one.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Slightly different take.

Cra1948 is investing carefully. Buying Blue Chip stocks so to speak.

That BPR represents a solid Up and Comer. The dollars involved seem
reasonable, considering the scope. Where it goes from here is an unknown.
Up, down, stagnate? More risk, chance of higher return.

If you want to buy guns for the sake of investing, look to Ruger and CDNN closeouts.
Buy the freaks no one wants. At blowout.
I didn't buy, but saw real potential income of the Super Redhawks.
Who really wanted a boat anchor in 10mm?
Everyone, after it is discontinued and no longer available.
Suddenly everyone knows exactly how many were made, and they want one.

I would agree, probably especially Ruger oddballs of which a number have been made. Especially when Bill Ruger was alive, he kind of set the standard for WTF??? chamberings, most of which fell rapidly by the wayside and would be "collectables" today. Some were legitimate revivals of good cartridges (.220 Swift, .22 Hornet come to mind). Others, such as .30-40, seemed unlikely to gain any traction. For some inexplicable reason the Blackhawk in .30 Carbine continues (last I knew) to be listed.

Obviously, my thoughts on the matter are that I would prefer my investment cash goes into more liquid assets with a more certain ROI that don't take up space and require handling. As it is, my gun money, traditionally, hasn't gone far enough to get all the guns I want for actual use and I like guns to shoot. Just my personal feelings and they don't apply to everyone else. Also, my thoughts are somewhat colored by my attitude toward Japanese Brownings. (Never mind that I've had a Japanese BT-99 for, probably, about 30 years. I shoot it well, it has had thousands of rounds through it, has never given me one second's trouble...I still don't really like the gun. I don't claim to be a rational person.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
IIRC, the BPR was introduced (late-90's) when one (or maybe more) of the states in the North East USA disallowed deer hunting with semi-auto rifles, maybe just semi-autos with a detachable magazine, I can't exactly recall.

If the Semi-Auto ban on hunting rifles were to suddenly gain traction in a wide swath of the nation, in particular those hunting with a BAR now would be clamoring for a BPR. That said, if the demand were there, Browning could easily re-introduce them as well.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If you like it, buy it

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by hanco
If you like it, buy it

That's how I run.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hanco
If you like it, buy it
Eggs Zachary!

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
it was really neat. I did want it but I kind of like stuff that is just a little odd, or a little different. It is still a deer hunting rifle in a common caliber but not I see very often, that was my first actually. I can see the value in what cra1948 says.... I have too many guns that are repetitive, just because I like them, but they seldom get used and take up a lot of space. Some water damage or a fire could be very problematic.

On the other hand, I dont need a lot of return... just something I can mess around with and use a little and sell it for more than I bought it for later on down the road. With current inflation etc, that doesnt mean I am making money I guess. I did not pick it up before I left town.... it is still sitting there

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Kind of a neat rifle, I almost bought one back when they were in production, but ended up going with a 7600 because it was considerably cheaper at the time and I was a broke college kid.

They didn't wind up making the BPR all that long, so it may end up worth something eventually.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Buy what you like wether you use it or not Do what makes you happy I have a Kleinguenther k15 improved 270 weatherby mag absolutely mint vari x ii 4-12 ao gloss Leupold in German made rings According to the original owner Robert Kleinguenther put it together for him personally (May or may not be true ) I thought I paid dearly for it $1500 At the time I’ve shot it one time to verify setting 1” high dead center 200 yards It was and is a unicorn I wanted I have other 270 weatherbys I hunt with but I love the look, the fit and the feel of this rifle it just speaks to me That’s why I bought it Matter of fact I think I’ll ease it out of the safe and wipe it down now I love a good rifle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the BPR is a cool rifle. Been looking for one for years. Almost never see them.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Buy what you like wether you use it or not Do what makes you happy I have a Kleinguenther k15 improved 270 weatherby mag absolutely mint vari x ii 4-12 ao gloss Leupold in German made rings According to the original owner Robert Kleinguenther put it together for him personally (May or may not be true ) I thought I paid dearly for it $1500 At the time I’ve shot it one time to verify setting 1” high dead center 200 yards It was and is a unicorn I wanted I have other 270 weatherbys I hunt with but I love the look, the fit and the feel of this rifle it just speaks to me That’s why I bought it Matter of fact I think I’ll ease it out of the safe and wipe it down now I love a good rifle

Sounds like you have a winner there!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (44automag, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 21 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,208
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.