Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Good Afternoon!

Calling all Savage 99 lovers! Please help if you are willing and able. I need to confirm the correct cartridge guide for a 1952 Savage 99 chambered in 300 Savage.

Photo #1 illustrates the Numrich Gun Parts catalog image for a 300 Savage cartridge guide.

Photo #2 is a photo of the cartridge guide I removed from my rifle.

Photo #3 is the 300 Savage Guide I ordered and received from Numrich Gun Parts.

Can anyone confirm which is the correct cartridge guide for 300 Savage?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

[img]https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-fIZPp4D9mHg3h33ce3m-XTBKDJTkZaD?usp=sharing[/img]

Attached Images
Photo - #1.jpg (8.55 KB, 245 downloads)
Photo #2.jpg (21.47 KB, 246 downloads)
Photo - #3.jpg (21.67 KB, 244 downloads)
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
The correct one is the one that works in your rifle with its carrier and its auto cutoff, and I am not being obtuse when I say that. Photos 1 and 3 appear to be the same guide, pictured from opposite sides? if #2 did not work, I would try #3. The nature of the malfunction would lead me to the next step. If it is trying to shuck more than 1 cartridge per cycle, look at the underside of the cutoff. Has it been filed excessively? If the cartridge won't rotate up enough for the bolt face to pick it up, look at either modifying or swapping the cutoff for one that has a bit less material on its under side. A few thousandths of an inch can make a difference. BTW, swapping guides can affect the 0 position of the round counter, but should not affect readings 1 thru 5. Sometimes the guide works better with one carrier than another as well.

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by missedbycracky
The correct one is the one that works in your rifle with its carrier and its auto cutoff, and I am not being obtuse when I say that. Photos 1 and 3 appear to be the same guide, pictured from opposite sides? if #2 did not work, I would try #3. The nature of the malfunction would lead me to the next step. If it is trying to shuck more than 1 cartridge per cycle, look at the underside of the cutoff. Has it been filed excessively? If the cartridge won't rotate up enough for the bolt face to pick it up, look at either modifying or swapping the cutoff for one that has a bit less material on its under side. A few thousandths of an inch can make a difference. BTW, swapping guides can affect the 0 position of the round counter, but should not affect readings 1 thru 5. Sometimes the guide works better with one carrier than another as well.

Thank you missesbycracky! You are correct about the photos. Photo #1 is the Numrich cut sheet indicating the correct guide for 300 Savage; and photo #3 is that actual part I purchased from Numrich. Photo #2 is the guide I removed from the rifle I recently acquired in an attempt to resolve the feed issues I was experiencing. The feed issue isn't associated with more than 1 cartridge being fed per cycle. The problem is that the cartridge is not feeding directly into the chamber, and getting hung up. I was told that most 300 Savage cartridges have a more rounded nose that tends to feed better than the pointed dummy round I am using. That said, I recently found a box of vintage 300 Savage cartridges at a local gun show (1960's vintage) and those cartridges are also pointed - similar to the dummy rounds I am testing with. I had included a photo of the jam in the initial thread I started last month - but will try to attach another image to this thread if I am able.

I was unaware of how sensitive the cartridge guide is with respect to feeding. Another gentleman indicated the critical nature of the guide in another forum. I was on a mission to seek the "Trurth" - I would like 100% confirmation of the correct guide for the specific caliber - in this case 300 Savage. I'm not sure it's that clear now. It almost seems like a trial and error scenario... I guess I will install the new guide I purchased from Numrich and see what happens. Thank you for the heads up on the "0" counter alignment - would never have guessed the guide would have impacted counter - never mind the "0" position and no other counter positions. Appreciate the feedback!

Attached Images
Misfeed-1s.jpg (35.63 KB, 170 downloads)
Misfeed-2s.jpg (32.5 KB, 170 downloads)
Misfeed-3s.jpg (35.44 KB, 170 downloads)
Last edited by Skip54; 04/16/23.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Numrich is not a reliable source for accurate parts description. I've fought several battles with them over the years on their mistakes. some they corrected and some they didn't.

I had a substantial parts inventory for the 99s and took pictures of the different cartridge guides. Below is one of them from the .300 Savage lot. it also is the same as I observed on one of my .300s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What have you done in analyzing the interaction of the automatic cutoff in the cycle? this was suggested earlier.

I've had many more problems with that than the cartridge guide. I think your down the wrong rabbit hole.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I checked 6 99 300s all with an LBC of C or D. All 6 resemble the one you removed; I suspect you need to reinstall it.

When I do a custom caliber in a 99 rotary, I start at the bottom and work my way up.

Begin with a carrier assembly that is CLEAN and free of gravelly or raspy feeling when rotating carrier on spindle. Install it and set the torsion spring preload properly, usually between 1/2 and 1 1/2 quarter-turns past initial contact with the guide, turning counter clockwise viewed from the muzzle. Load 1 round in the magazine and make sure it will push that round up high enough for the bolt to pick it up. load 5 rounds in the magazine and make sure they load without too much effort (the first may require a little spin or push from your left hand, but the remaining 4 should require no prompting. At this point you can declare victory for the carrier assembly.

Next you check feeding. When the bullet tip is too high, it can be because the guide is holding the shoulder high, or because the cutoff is not holding it down, or because the carrier is allowing the case head to remain too low. This process continues until you are happy. Trial and error? You bet. You must work out the harmony between the carrier, guide and cutoff. BTW, the bullet should never be assigned any driving chores. The case drives, and the bullet should not touch anything after leaving the magazine until it arrives in the barrel throat.

Sorry, I didn't mean to write a book, and if I did it is only 1/3 finished, but hopefully this will get you off on the right foot.

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
What have you done in analyzing the interaction of the automatic cutoff in the cycle? this was suggested earlier.

I've had many more problems with that than the cartridge guide. I think your down the wrong rabbit hole.
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for the photo and guidance Lightfoot! Very important to see this.

I changed the guide with the new one purchased from Numrich. I loaded one dummy round and the guide kept the cartridge straight and fed properly - unlike the previous guide. I thought I was out of that rabbit hole…

I reassembled the stock and forearm; attempted to load 5-rounds and the carrier would not accept any more rounds due to physical interference with the guide. Obviously the wrong guide.

Unfortunately I am not an experienced Savage 99 guy, and not quite sure of what the “automatic cutoff” is. Would you be willing to describe?

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I checked 6 99 300s all with an LBC of C or D. All 6 resemble the one you removed; I suspect you need to reinstall it.

When I do a custom caliber in a 99 rotary, I start at the bottom and work my way up.

Begin with a carrier assembly that is CLEAN and free of gravelly or raspy feeling when rotating carrier on spindle. Install it and set the torsion spring preload properly, usually between 1/2 and 1 1/2 quarter-turns past initial contact with the guide, turning counter clockwise viewed from the muzzle. Load 1 round in the magazine and make sure it will push that round up high enough for the bolt to pick it up. load 5 rounds in the magazine and make sure they load without too much effort (the first may require a little spin or push from your left hand, but the remaining 4 should require no prompting. At this point you can declare victory for the carrier assembly.

Next you check feeding. When the bullet tip is too high, it can be because the guide is holding the shoulder high, or because the cutoff is not holding it down, or because the carrier is allowing the case head to remain too low. This process continues until you are happy. Trial and error? You bet. You must work out the harmony between the carrier, guide and cutoff. BTW, the bullet should never be assigned any driving chores. The case drives, and the bullet should not touch anything after leaving the magazine until it arrives in the barrel throat.

Sorry, I didn't mean to write a book, and if I did it is only 1/3 finished, but hopefully this will get you off on the right foot.

Greatly appreciate your detailed response missedbycracky!!! No apology necessary - grateful for any knowledge I can gain. I have spent a lot of time on this issue and am determined to get this resolved.

Just shared my experience today in response to Lightfoot’s post. Great to have a photo of a guide for a known 300 Savage from Lightfoot. Looks like my original guide was correct.

When I load cartridges in the magazine with the original guide, they feel sloppy, loose, and appear to lack any sense of control. The position of the bullet tip is inconsistent - one may be high; one low; the next feeds properly.

The first time I did a complete disassembly, I re-tensioned the carrier with 1-full CCW rotation from “0” position (with the long web on the carrier facing up). Lightfoot also referenced the “cutoff” however I don’t know what this refers to. If you’re willing to describe the cutoff and share the other 2/3’s I’m all in! Thank you for your input!

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
The auto cutoff, as Savage calls it, is really the ejector, but it is also a crucial part of the cartridge handling mechanism. If you will PM me an email address, I will send some pics.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
What do you know about the carrier itself- could it be for something other than a 300?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What do you know about the carrier itself- could it be for something other than a 300?

That's what I was going to ask. I [bleep] with a basket case 250-3000 from 1919. It would feed and cycle fine, but I could not get 5 rounds into it, like it just hit a wall. I finally swapped the carrier out with a known 250 rotor and problem solved. Clear difference in the rotors but I'm not sure what the old one was for.

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The auto cutoff, as Savage calls it, is really the ejector, but it is also a crucial part of the cartridge handling mechanism. If you will PM me an email address, I will send some pics.

Thank you!
Tried to PM you and got the following message. I apparently have not been active enough to earn the PM privilege. Is there another way to provide you my email address?

“Private Topics are disabled for your current member level. Creating useful topics/replies in the forums will increase your member level and allow you to create new Private Topics.”

With respect to the carrier - I really don't know if it is original to the rifle (1952 vintage) or if it had been changed out. I do know that it physically interfered with the new guide I installed and would not rotate to allow additional cartridges to be loaded. I attached a few photos of the carrier assembly 1) the entire assembly; 2) showing how the spring tail is retained in this design; and 3) an image of the carrier face - which suggests it may have been messed with based on the scratches/marks in the center by the retaining nut. That's all I know...

Attached Images
Carrier Assembly-s.jpg (17.96 KB, 61 downloads)
Carrier Face-s.jpg (19.18 KB, 61 downloads)
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
email me at srhurt1943gmail.com

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,336
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.