Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by dogwater
If you had an opportunity to buy a gun for a great price, but it was used in a suicide, would you? Some friends have said "its bad juju", I am leaning towards "its just metal, it doesn't know or care". What do you think?
My logical side agrees with you, but I'd still be creeped out a little.

This

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Pass, unless it was a HIGH end gun! grin
Yeah, something rare and very desirable, at a really good price, and I might decide to risk being a little creeped out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I wouldn’t. For me it’s something that I’d think about and it would take away from my enjoyment of it. It obviously isn’t the guns fault but I wouldn’t knowingly want it.
Hickok45 has discussed this a few time vis a vis guns that have been used in wars, such as his two Mauser rifles. Not sure what he'd say about a suicide gun.
I like his channel. He doesn’t take himself to seriously or try to go tactical. He’s likes guns and shooting. Knows what he’s talking about and has fun with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had a guy bring in a .22 handgun in a gallon plastic bag and wanted it reblued.
No problem!
A day or two later, we noticed a stench sneaking into the shop!
The 'smith opened the bag and there was no doubt where the odor was coming from! 😖

We fired up the bluing vats the next day, suffered through the odor and reblued the gun. It was pretty eat up, but cleaned up fairly well.
When the guy came to pick it up, the 'smith asked him what was on the gun.

Seems he had a cousin who committed suicide and that was his blood on the gun!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in 1985 I killed a mountain lion in Nevada with the model 94 Winchester that my step dad killed himself with.
It was a killer of a rifle.
I have zero superstitious beliefs.

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Had a chance to buy one sweet 4” nickel Colt Python about 25 years ago. The sellers BIL offer himself with it and the family wanted it home quick. Turned it down without hesitation.
I’m mountain folk and superstition is ingrained from birth.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Had a chance to buy one sweet 4” nickel Colt Python about 25 years ago. The sellers BIL offer himself with it and the family wanted it home quick. Turned it down without hesitation.
The solution would have been simple. All you needed to do was bury it under a willow tree, with two feathers from a hoot owl, during a full moon, and three days later the hex on the gun would have been completely undone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
The solution would have been simple. All you needed to do was bury it under a willow tree, with two feathers from a hoot owl, during a full moon, and three days later the hex on the gun would have been completely undone.
Ya, but it would have been pitted😂

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As Tonto used to say ~

"Murder gun, bad juju."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy it low. Sell it higher. New buyer doesn't know. Bad juju gone.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KFWA
yea, I don't think I've give it a second thought

Yup

Yup.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
An old acquaintance bought a BAR 30/06 hunting rifle at a police auction that had blown the head apart of a former hunting friend. The deceased had been shot accidentally by his brother when hunting. With that Browning he's had a good run on the deer. Doesn't bother him in the slightest.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I think about schit to much a no go for me

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've owned a couple of cars that were involved in fatal accidents- - - -is that different than owning a suicide gun?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Back in 1985 I killed a mountain lion in Nevada with the model 94 Winchester that my step dad killed himself with.
I’m not superstitious and didn’t like my stepfather. If I had I’d rather not have the rifle in my safe.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by grouseman
Buy it low. Sell it higher. New buyer doesn't know. Bad juju gone.
Great point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the 1980's a co-worker of a buddy of mine deer hunted with a 44 Mag. revolver. Story I got was that his brother-in-law committed suicide with it some years earlier and he eventually got it from the estate, or something like that. He liked it, and its history never seemed to bother him. He liked 44 Mags and he got it for almost nothing, so how could he say no?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd see it much like you, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

I've bought, lived in and flipped 2 homes where folks had been killed, no effect at all, I think a guy would have to make any negative effect happen in his own mind.

I also own the S&W 686, 357 my father killed himself with.
Never any negative thoughts about owning it either.

That whole situation played out here on the Fire when I had complications getting the gun back from the cops in 2008.

Here's a quote from the thread where I was conversing with T Lee on the matter.

Originally Posted by JeffA
I didn't know how I was going to feel about having this particular gun around. On the way over to get it this morning I kinda thought as soon as I tossed it in the truck to bring it home I'd be wondering why I even picked it up.

I just set and tore it down and cleaned it up, ...it's a nice handgun...and stainless to boot!!:-) I've never been one to entertain a lot of drama in matters like this. I can already tell I'm gonna hang onto this gun, hell it was my granddads and my dads, I doubt I'll ever part with it.........

Funny, you can never tell just what effect something like this will have until the time comes that your holding it your hand...

That thread really has some names in it, a couple of good lawyers along with a few more strong posters that have drifted away, DeFlave even!

Just buy the gun and be done with it already.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd pass.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd see it much like you, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

I've bought, lived in and flipped 2 homes where folks had been killed, no effect at all, I think a guy would have to make any negative effect happen in his own mind.

I also own the S&W 686, 357 my father killed himself with.
Never any negative thoughts about owning it either.

That whole situation played out here on the Fire when I had complications getting the gun back from the cops in 2008.

Here's a quote from the thread where I was conversing with T Lee on the matter.

I didn't know how I was going to feel about having this particular gun around. On the way over to get it this morning I kinda thought as soon as I tossed it in the truck to bring it home I'd be wondering why I even picked it up.

I just set and tore it down and cleaned it up, ...it's a nice handgun...and stainless to boot!!:-) I've never been one to entertain a lot of drama in matters like this. I can already tell I'm gonna hang onto this gun, hell it was my granddads and my dads, I doubt I'll ever part with it.........

Funny, you can never tell just what effect something like this will have until the time comes that your holding it your hand...

That thread really has some names in it, a couple of good lawyers along with a few more strong posters that have drifted away, DeFlave even!

Just buy the gun and be done with it already.

My BIL killed himself in my laundry room.
I can't get wound up about things I don't have any control over and don't direct affect my daily life.

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,793 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,362
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.