Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
In the ongoing quest to decide on the stock for the Pre-64 I’m building, I stumbled across the Mauser Mark X stock offered by McMillan. There was a Mark X in that stock at the Tulsa gun show, and it is perfect in my eyes. It feels great in the hand and has everything I want. (Checkering, cheek piece, and shadow line)

I looked on their website and found that stock only comes as a flat top. So I emailed McMillan and asked them if there was anything preventing me from having a smith inlet that stock to fit a Pre-64. I got a response from Josh Deards and he said this.

“Yes, the diminutions of that action and bottom metal will not work with any thing we make other than the pre 64 monte carlo stock.”

Speaking from a place of relative ignorance, that doesn’t make any sense. I could understand if that stock simply wouldn’t work for whatever reason, but his answer makes me question whether or not he is correct. As far as I’m aware, the only size or dimension difference between a pre and post 64 is the screw hole spacing.

Does this guy know what he’s talking about?

Last edited by AmericanEyes; 04/17/23.

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
-Townsend Whelen
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That pattern looks very, very similar - if not identical - to the sako classic pattern. The sako classic at one time could be had with an M70 inlet.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Yeah they’re very similar. Mr. Deards said that stock won’t work either, which further leads me to think he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

-Townsend Whelen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've ordered seven stocks from Josh directly and have spoken to him on the phone, he knows what he's doing. I would suggest calling him and talking through your questions, he's a good guy and very knowledgeable. Good luck!

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Okay, thanks a bunch.

-Townsend Whelen
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AmericanEyes
Yeah they’re very similar. Mr. Deards said that stock won’t work either, which further leads me to think he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

I do not know Mr Deards. I do know I have a sako classic that was inlet by McMillan for a model 70 classic in 2019. I also have a pre 64 in a sako classic, but I do not know for certain who inlet it as I purchased it secondhand.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I do not know Mr Deards. I do know I have a sako classic that was inlet by McMillan for a model 70 classic in 2019. I also have a pre 64 in a sako classic, but I do not know for certain who inlet it as I purchased it secondhand.
Has the shape of the Sako Classic changed in the past few years?

-Townsend Whelen
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Not to my knowledge. That would necessitate a new mold, which would be expensive. I don’t see the new ownership of McMillan doing anything that cost money when they already have a usable mold. I could be wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure he knows what bottom metal you're going to be using. The pre-64 trigger guard is a trouble spot for the grip/wrist area in many after market stocks.

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Make sure he knows what bottom metal you're going to be using. The pre-64 trigger guard is a trouble spot for the grip/wrist area in many after market stocks.

Is a different brand of bottom metal different in this regard? For instance, would Blackburn or Sunny Hill fit the grip/wrist better than factory?

Last edited by Docbar; 04/18/23.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Yep. Hunters edge/compact for sure. Been discussed here a time or two. I’ll see if I can find a link to one of the previous discussions. BSA had some good pictures.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sure miss Dick Davis. Threads like these just reinforce what a treasure he was.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I sure miss Dick Davis. Threads like these just reinforce what a treasure he was.
Yep. Couldn’t agree more.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (6MMWASP, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,903
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.