SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
They may have a place in the quiver.

An article by our own Mule Deer, JB. from Handloader Feb/Mar 2017

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/reduced-rifle-loads

"..The perfect-cartridge trend continues today, but social changes have revived reduced handloads, including Obama’s election and reelection. Ammunition and handloading components became harder to find, and many shooters who thought rimfire ammunition would always be cheap and abundant were disillusioned. Many decided reduced handloads made more sense than buying .22 Long Rifle ammunition costing $50 to $75 a brick – when it could be found.."

Last edited by SBTCO; 04/17/23.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One of the beautiful things about shooting cast bullets. I started shooting cast in a .308 Win. around 1971 or ‘72 @ 19 or so. I used it for snakes, armadillos, plinking, and squirrels in the fall. It gave me the opportunity to shoot year round with my deer rifle.

Since then, it’s been cast in , 270’s, .338’s, and 375’s which great, inexpensive, low recoil practice stuff…..which could be “pressed” into big game use if absolutely necessary! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Do you cast your own bullets or are rifle bullets easily available?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I too started casting and shooting reduced loads long ago. 1968 found 15 year old me with a shiny old Krag cavalry carbine ($40 out the door, for a genuine carbine) which I couldn't afford to shoot as much as I wanted to with store-bought bullets. Lyman saw fit to sell me a 155 grain plain base mold and I was off to the races. I shot groundhogs by stalking close, squirrels, rabbits, and a pheasant or two. In the late fall I switched her back to 180 RN jacketeds and took to the deer woods. As I recall my go-to load with the cast bullet was 7 grains Red Dot, don't ask me what my load was with the 180's. That rifle was like an extension of my soul, thanks mainly to the thousands of those cast bullet reduced loads I put through it. That rifle definitely set me up for a lifetime of shooting reduced loads in everything I've owned - the several dozen bullet molds I own are mute testimony to that.

Anecdote: most of the brass I used back then was turn-of-the-20th century military stuff. Good brass that held up well even though I was clueless about annealing. You gotta remember that at the time that brass was 60-ish years old, no different than shooting brass from the 1960's today.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Most of my rifle loads are lighter in nature, I tend to use faster powders with light for cartridge bullets.

For just flat out fun, cheap plinking, 32 S&WL loads through a Henry BBS carbine has been to go-to for the past couple years. Takes me a long time to burn up a pound of Unique at 2.8gr a pop. I shoot commercial cast through it, but they're still relatively cheap when bought in quantity.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I too started casting and shooting reduced loads long ago. 1968 found 15 year old me with a shiny old Krag cavalry carbine ($40 out the door, for a genuine carbine) which I couldn't afford to shoot as much as I wanted to with store-bought bullets. Lyman saw fit to sell me a 155 grain plain base mold and I was off to the races. I shot groundhogs by stalking close, squirrels, rabbits, and a pheasant or two. In the late fall I switched her back to 180 RN jacketeds and took to the deer woods. As I recall my go-to load with the cast bullet was 7 grains Red Dot, don't ask me what my load was with the 180's. That rifle was like an extension of my soul, thanks mainly to the thousands of those cast bullet reduced loads I put through it. That rifle definitely set me up for a lifetime of shooting reduced loads in everything I've owned - the several dozen bullet molds I own are mute testimony to that.

Anecdote: most of the brass I used back then was turn-of-the-20th century military stuff. Good brass that held up well even though I was clueless about annealing. You gotta remember that at the time that brass was 60-ish years old, no different than shooting brass from the 1960's today.

Neat gun and story! Sort of reminds me of my teenager $100 swedish mauser in the 90's. The gun was made in 1916 and I was 16 when I got it. But I didn't get near the versatility out of my rifle as you did yours.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Problem today is, even reduced loads need primers! GD

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Do you cast your own bullets or are rifle bullets easily available?

If directed to me….casting ( started with handguns) my own since I was around 18 or so. I can’t answer as to the availability of rifle bullets…..never looked! 😉

When I started casting and shooting light load 38 Specials….I was shooting them cheaper than I could buy 22 LR’s. Of course…..that’s not placing a $ value on my time. I saw it as a very enjoyable hobby…..that saved me a lot of $! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It was meant for you and thanks for your reply. I'd like to try some cast bullets but think I should buy some first to see if this is something I could and would enjoy, as if that would really be a question...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Can't help either with a commercial source, I have never bought a store-bought cast bullet. PM sent re: some samples from gnoahhh's Bullets R Us.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks gnoahhh. PM replied.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I Shoot Berry's plated bullets in pistol and rifle. As far as primers go I was able to get SR and SP. Also picked up 308 and 243 SR brass.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a blast with them. So far my favorite by far is the following concoction. Gallery loads.

For those who know me well know that I get really bored in the cold and very windy (yuk) Wyoming winters.

I have a new version Winchester 1873 in 44-40. I have been interested in using soft lead cast bullet for a super light plinking load. I'm talking barely getting out of the barrel, very silent load. Thinking maybe 400 to 500 ft. per second. Well I tried something different today. I took a Hornady 44 lead ball (.433 diameter) and swaged it to .430" with a Lee bullet sizing die. I sat it in the case with 2 grains of Winchester 231. Works like a charm. I shot it in my snail bullet trap in my back yard. Distance was like 15 feet. Believe it or not there was a pop and a few milliseconds later dong! My BB gun takes about the same amount of time to travel that distance and make the distinct hitting sound. No hearing protection needed. Like a CB 22 cal. One of these days I'm going to chronograph the load but I'm guessing about 500 feet per second.

Working the same deal in my new Winchester 1895 in 405 Win. Using 30-40 Krag brass and 41 cal cast bullets.As soon as it gets back from surgery. Drilled and tapped for Skinner peeps.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If a non-caster…..this would be a great argument for having a .35 caliber rifle. Choose a good cartridge (.35 Whelen, 358 STA, 350 G&H, REM Mag., ect) and load them up with bought cast bullets for handguns or even jacketed bullets at reduced velocities!

If you choose one of the magnums…..you have a cartridge with enough power, velocity for big game (even dangerous game) out to long ranges. And, with the reduced load cast (or jacketed) a good small game rifle…or close range big game rifle with proper bullet placement!

OSU Sig……this may be a good excuse to buy a new rifle , if you don’t already have a .35 caliber! A .35 cal rifle can be very versatile if you have a little imagination! 😉

NOTE: If you use one of the large capacity magnums (I load for the .338 WM, the 375 H&H, and a .375 AI)….you will likely want some form of filler ( to fill the large void in the case) so as to get better, more even ignition. I don’t try for match quality loads….but can easily get sub 2” groups at 100 yards with our magnum rifLes! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/19/23.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My wife killed her last caribou at 200 yards with reduced load factory 30-06 150s down a 17 inch barrel.

Last edited by las; 04/19/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mule Deer has pointed out that data for cast bullets can be used for jacketed as well, although a little caution is indicated with very low-powered ones to avoid sticking one in the barrel. Someone with a pile of culls from load development, blems, or pulls can put those to use that way. The Berry’s plated ones seem to work well, on YouTube at least, and they put the recommended velocity limit on the box.

My favorite jacketed bullets for reduced/midrange loads are both Speers; the 110gr .308 Varminter, a FNHP, and the 46gr .224 FP designed for the .218. Have yet to pop anything with the 46gr, but the 110gr lets the air out of critters pretty quickly when loaded to 1500 or so. Would probably ‘splode ‘em at higher speeds.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
hanks memtb. I just happen to have a couple of LH actions sitting around. One is a 700 LA and the other is a MRC LH Magnum SA.
Surely a guy could come up with something interesting out of those two…

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
hanks memtb. I just happen to have a couple of LH actions sitting around. One is a 700 LA and the other is a MRC LH Magnum SA.
Surely a guy could come up with something interesting out of those two…

Sounds like a good project! Had I not be thinking about Africa when I put together my .375 AI, one of the “hot rod” .35’s would have made an extremely versatile cartridge!

If you’re inquisitive (really bored) I can tell you about my excellent “trout load” for my rifle! 😉😂

In all seriousness….. I understand that some of yesteryear’s African hunters, when tiring of red meat at every meal, would use their “big bore” elephant rifles on water fowl. With the big bore bullet placed just beneath the bird sitting on the water, would cause enough hydraulic force to stun or kill the bird! A high velocity medium bore is pretty darn effectively used the same way……. Or, so I’ve been told! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/25/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
NOTE: If you use one of the large capacity magnums (I load for the .338 WM, the 375 H&H, and a .375 AI)….you will likely want some form of filler ( to fill the large void in the case) so as to get better, more even ignition. I don’t try for match quality loads….but can easily get sub 2” groups at 100 yards with our magnum rifLes! memtb

This has not been my experience, granted I base this on one rifle/chambering - .375 Taylor w/ 235 gr cast.

I tried both 11.o gr Unique and 11.o gr W231 for ~ 1,125 fps When I used a filler, group size and SD were worse, which did surprise me. Slightly higher velocity w/ filler.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by memtb

This has not been my experience, granted I base this on one rifle/chambering - .375 Taylor w/ 235 gr cast.

I tried both 11.o gr Unique and 11.o gr W231 for ~ 1,125 fps When I used a filler, group size and SD were worse, which did surprise me. Slightly higher velocity w/ filler.

I’m using 4198 for all of my cast larger bullet cartridges, the filler seemed to help. Perhaps with Unique or another fast burner, the filler is unnecessary and a detriment! memtb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,125
Posts18,483,808
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.