Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Is ceramic coating for a car worth it? It can be somewhat expensive.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There are different grades of it, but it seems to be the in thing to do now, I was quoted 1300 for my half ton and they said it takes about 5 days to do it which included paint correction. I didn't do it. Plus you cant run the vehicle through car washes and the coating is only good for maybe 5 years.

Now if I dropped 80k on a new vette, I would do it.

What happened to the good ol days of waxing your vehicle a couple times a year?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I thought so, the paint correction looks great and my truck is 10x easier to clean than an uncoated vehicle. Car washes are horrendous for paint, so I never used them anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cars are very much like concrete. There's concrete thats cracked and concrete thats going to crack if it hasnt yet.
Cars are a very poor investment of money.

.... like tears in the rain
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
cars are very much like concrete. There's concrete thats cracked and concrete thats going to crack if it hasnt yet.
Some classic cars used to be a great investment, not so much anymore. Guns are better and take far less room to store.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Vehicles are a large and necessary expense. I don't see them as investments but I do spend money on making that car last as long as I can so I don't have to do the large expense as often.

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Wow! That's certainly germane to the discussion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did my car which is an 08 that is not a daily driver and has never seen a car wash. Admittedly it sits under a cover in the garage most of the time but keeping it clean is a snap, road dirt and water just slides off the surface.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had my 2019 Chevy truck done when new. I see no difference in it in terms of cleaning of keeping it clean . I use a car wash, but do it myself. Keeping it in the garage when not in use provides more protection than any additive coating..

I could never figure out when people pay $50K + for a vehicle and keep it outside and store $1000 worth of junk in their garage.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Depending on the vehicle and its use, I would start with a ceramic wax you can apply yourself and save a pile of money. Keeping a vehicle spotless is an exercise in futility for me but I’ve used ceramic wax and it does make cleaning a vehicle easier.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A buddy who owns a body shop told me some of them make touch up painting or paint blending in the event of a fender bender impossible. I’m not a painter so I don’t know why or which ones but I trust him.

I wasn’t going to get it anyway but was curious as I’d heard of it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I did my truck 2 years ago. It made a huge difference. It's due again. Kodiak is hard on trucks

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

And some waste time internet posting irrelevant comments to the original inquiry, when they could be out making money.

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I had my 2019 Chevy truck done when new. I see no difference in it in terms of cleaning of keeping it clean . I use a car wash, but do it myself. Keeping it in the garage when not in use provides more protection than any additive coating..

I could never figure out when people pay $50K + for a vehicle and keep it outside and store $1000 worth of junk in their garage.

I'm that person, I bought a truck, and use it and treat it like a truck, I'm not babying a truck. It will get it necessary maintenance and wash and vacuum now and then but thats it. My four wheeler, utv, mower, freezer, extra fridge, some hunting stuff, chainsaws, workbench, bandsaws, tools, etc, etc in the garage, wouldnt call it junk.

Last edited by killerv; 04/21/23.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When I bought my new Lincoln Aviator last year they were running a special, $800 vs. $1,200. As has been posted I figured it was a good deal on a $70K vehicle.
I've put 8K miles on it so far, the majority of time it sits in the garage, 8 months of the year it gets hand washed with the recommended soap and dried with a Ceramic spray and micro fiber towel, during the winter months it's goes through the car wash a couple of times each month to get rid of the salt and sand they put down on the roads.
It's amazing how easy it is to clean and dry, and how the water just runs off the finish vs. how it use to just puddle with just wax.
It's only been a year, but am very happy with mine.

"The older I get, the better I was"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Get it cleaned and polished first, followed by this...Works great and easy to re-apply once every month or so.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive...use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz

Last edited by battue; 04/21/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by battue
Get it cleaned and polished first, followed by this...Works great and easy to re-apply once every month or so.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive...use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz

How do you keep the spray off your windows, plastic trim, etc?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If doing it myself with the home spray on/off - I've used Turtle, Meguiars and one other but none have performed for me as well as Griots. That stuff is amazing. I did my truck in October of last year. Zero washes between then and last weekend - the water still beads up and flows off with the dirt. Really impressed with it.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jbmi
When I bought my new Lincoln Aviator last year they were running a special, $800 vs. $1,200. As has been posted I figured it was a good deal on a $70K vehicle.
I've put 8K miles on it so far, the majority of time it sits in the garage, 8 months of the year it gets hand washed with the recommended soap and dried with a Ceramic spray and micro fiber towel, during the winter months it's goes through the car wash a couple of times each month to get rid of the salt and sand they put down on the roads.
It's amazing how easy it is to clean and dry, and how the water just runs off the finish vs. how it use to just puddle with just wax.
It's only been a year, but am very happy with mine.

In the car business that's known as Mop and Glow... Did they sell you Croak and Choke as well?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think ceramic paint coatings are a great choice for people who drive lifted 4wd trucks with oversize tires, brush guards, hi lifts, and rootop tents, that don't have a scratch on them and never will.

If you are attached to blemish free paint, I'm told they help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 65 invisible), 15,834 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,200
Posts18,543,557
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.