-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know what it is but the #5 is what I use also. It must have just right balance of pellets. I've walked out empty with #4's and #6's but the last 3 Toms were hit with the 5's. Even my 3 1/2's are 5's. Hurry Up May 3rd. I've got a date with old Blue Head. grin

Ken

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do like the number 5's in plated lead for my .12's. The Winchester Supreme Hi-Velocity 1 3/4 ounce of 5's for the 3" .12 gauge has bang flopped a lot of turkeys for me. I've killed them as far as a step or two past 50 yards with that load and a Kick's GT .660" choke from my Benelli M1. Like to get them closer though. Taking the little lady and that petite little .20 gauge has me a tad concerned... Guess I better bone up on my woodsmanship! wink

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MOGC
Toot,
I just bought my wife a .20 gauge 870 Youth Model with coffee colored brown laminated stock, recoil pad, matte finish, 21" vent rib barrel, choke tubes, ect. I put a sling swivel kit on it and a trim sling. I'm probably going to order her a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder choke tube and begin experimenting with some "heavier than lead" new tech shotloads. If everything goes well I think I can squeeze the range out to 40 yards with the right 3" loads. That'll do her well, light and trim, easy packin' and natural pointing.

I predict that little stomper will get it done, MOGC. Brought my wife turkey hunting 3 yrs. back and guess what, I've got a podnah. She do tend to sleep in late on a rainy morning though! Arrgh!

Brought her out to Wyoming this past season (Sept.) and nailed 5 of the 6 Antelope tags we had both drawn. Now, don't cha know it, I'm looking for a 7mm-08 for her. Careful what you wish for, Bro. Back on turkeys, went through the Shirley Basin area of central Wyo., just on a lark and cruising back homeward and saw a # of birds. Public land.

The great thing about turkey seasons is that the farther north you go, the later the seasons open giving you one fine roadtrip from south to north. Do it if and while you can.

Stay well.

OT

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I go with 3" shells and here is why. Most of the time, you aren't going to be shooting all that far, and the turkeys are not that hard to kill. When you get up into 3.5" or 10 GA, you're talking recoil levels like what you use on elephant. That is simply too much.

Generally speaking, at least in these parts, there is so much cover in the woods after the first week of season that 20-30 yard shots are about it. Some dream of shooting out to 60. I dream of Seeing out to 60 yards. If you can call them into 50 yards, you can probably call them into 20 or closer. Every turkey I've shot has been inside 30 yards, and most have been inside of 20. Outside of a couple of jakes I let loose on at 60 yards years ago, all the ones I've missed were missed because of the choke being too tight, my cheek weld being off, and poor shot placement. Even the ones I've missed got hit with the wad.

I also monitor a lot of turkey forums. A 3.5" hunter is usually crowing about taking a turkey inside 35 yards. When guys stop talking theoreticals and talk talking reality, they're trying to get an edge that gets them from 40 yds out to 45, or maybe 35 out to 40. That is a distance that standard high-brass lead 2.75 loads can handle as long as the pattern is right.

Take it from a guy who has been hunting turkey for 25 years: back when I started, a 2.75 inch load in a standard full-choked gun was just fine. If you keep looking for an edge, there will always be someone willing to sell it to you.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Basically what it boils down to is...what works for you in your gun.
I am one of those 3 1/2" guys, but a few years ago I took my wife out and since she would be shooting my "big gun" I found some 2 3/4" shells that the 11/87 (big gun)really liked.
I couldnt believe how many of those #5 pellets were in the kill zone at 30 yds with the 2 3/4" shells.
Anyway she got her longbeard first thing opening morn with those underpowered 2 3/4" shells and I had to practically rip the shotgun from her to shoot the other longbeard that was behind her bird...we got a double that year.
Since then I got her the Rem 870 Youth (NWTF jake edition) 20 gauge and its ready to roll with some 3" shells....hopefully she can use it this year.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
shaman------Truer words have never been typed. I still use 2 3/4" baby mags, kills them just fine at 40 yards. 90% of my gobblers are taken @25 yards. No need for 3 1/2" or 3" IMO. CB

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

3" hevi shot will group better than 3.5" so stay 3".

Spot

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am a tinkerer, and am obsessed with the sport of turkey hunting. When I started, there were no 3 1/2" shotguns available.
I hunted in Texas with a 3" 11/87 and killed every bird I shot at. I killed my first 18 in a row without a miss, and thought I was gonna slit my wrist after that first time it happened.

I just appreciate technology, and what it brings to my sport. New guns, new loads, new chokes. This kinda reminds me of the old black and white TV shows when the patients in the dentist office were kicking and screaming with the good Dr. inserting the pliers in the patients mouth. Things change for the better, and if you want to sit on your thumbs and let well enough alone, thats fine, but do not think for a minute the guy who strives to best his equipment is doing so for laziness or poor hunting skills, It may just be that guy can call a turkey across the county right up to the hole in the end of that 3 1/2" shotgun.

If a 3" shotgun could shoot with a 3 1/2" then that is what I`d use.
I shoot and test loads every year pryor to the opener.

Passion, is many things to many people..........

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Spot

Nope.

OT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Spot

Nope.

OT

Well... maybe so. Each shotgun is an individual and only patterning with a variety of loads can reveal what actually does pattern best. It isn't unheard of that the lighter weight and shorter shot charge pattern better than the larger one. I have a buddy that has a 3" .12 ga. that routinely shoots its best with 2 3/4" loads. Regardless the 3" loads has more shot, the shorter load actually puts more shot in the target. And that is what counts.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
MOGC,

Trying not to be anal retentive here but I'm speaking of an optimized, special purpose only - turkey shotgun. Optimization starts with a mirror polished bore, anyone can do it by using, e.g., a drill motor, cleaning rod with a brass 12 ga. bore brush and wrapped in a nylon (green, kitchen type) scouring pad and continually spraying wd-40 while reaming up and down till the "mirror" appears. That alone improved my patterns by +20% using the factory choke (.695) in the 835 ulti-mag. Simply put - polishing shortens your shot string and allows the choke to do its job.

Further tuning with Nitros and a Rhino got me to about as good as it gets @ 320+ in a 10" circle @ 40 yds and +200 out to 60 yds and I do not advocate shooting them that far but knowing it will do it gives me a comfort factor should I misjudge distance and I've done so (badly so) on several occasions. This same shotgun is also deadly with 2.75's and 3" nitro shells as I've let youngsters and my wife shoot birds with it. I'm not selling anything here, just info.

Long story, short - optimize and more shot is better than less and it can be a laborious and sometimes expensive path to get optimized. Just my .02$. It's all in what you want and what has and does work for you.

OT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's all in what you want and what has and does work for you.

We can certainly agree on that... smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I run what patterns best in my guns. In one that would be 3 inch, in another one that would be 3.5 inch

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never had a problem or lost / missed a bird with a 20 gauge, so when I use my 3" 12 gauge it feels like cheating.
I run #5's in both.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm sure the 3 1/2" 12gauge is good for something, but I'm also sure I don't know what that something is...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Similar to dials on a Leupy, free extra range.

Does that help?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Call them in closer or use a rifle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I call them in close enough for the 3 1/2".

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 835 with a Jellyhead in it. It patterns better with three inches than with 3.5 inches. As for as recoil, I have a libsaver pad on it and I can not tell a difference between the two shells.

Rammer Jammer Yellowhammer Give 'em heck Alabama
Alabama Crimson Tide 2009 National Champions.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Many things contribute to a good pattern. Ammo selection, choke, shot size.

I`d bet few people have spent the time and shot the rounds to get my guns where they are.

One day I`m going to count the Extended Turkey choke tubes, and Turkey loads in my house.

I was taught to count pellets in a 10" circle, and then 30" circle and count every pellet.

This will allow a viable comparison to chokes, loads and shot sizes, and their effect on center density.

Factory loaded Winchester Supreme #6 2oz out of my BPS 10, delivers 200 pellets in a 10" circle @ 40 yds.

My 3 1/2" 12`s deliver in the 160`s

I can stick a 3" in the same gun, and can see the difference, and it is enough, I never bother to count it.

My 870 Supermag on the other hand shooting a Rhino .6525" with Nitro Rays triplex load will deliver over 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds.

I`m a tinkerer and devoted to a sport I truley love.

Take the dials off your Leupy, run a 2 3/4" shell, it don`t make me no nevermind.

I just do know what works best for me and my guns.

My favorite..........with last springs volunteers.........

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 9 invisible), 1,203 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.