Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was wondering if anyone has ever done a trigger job in this gun to lighten the trigger pull?

The one I have is very heavy breaks right at 7lbs

Thanks for any info

Mark

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a 340BA, and added a trigger shoe. Helps a lot.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MPat70
I was wondering if anyone has ever done a trigger job in this gun to lighten the trigger pull?

Thanks for any info

Mark

Yes, I've done a trigger job on my 640KD, which is very similar to the 640t model. If you attempt it, do yourself a favor and buy an extra sear and hammer from numrich. I would not attempt it without spare parts. Just a warning.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The trigger on this rifle went from crap and heavy to exceptional.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Thanks for any info

Mark

Yes, I've done a trigger job on my 640KD, which is very similar to the 640t model. If you attempt it, do yourself a favor and buy an extra sear and hammer from numrich. I would not attempt it without spare parts. Just a warning.

My understanding is to file away from each side of the sear leaving just more than a half.

Would you agree?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks for any info

Mark

My understanding is to file away from each side of the sear leaving just more than a half.

Would you agree?

Not necessarily. There are threads on the web on this. Generally a 3 second search. Disclaimer, I am not a gunsmith, so take that for what it is. The sear should only be lightly polished, burrs removed to ease operation. Where you will need to reduce sear engagement is on the hammer. Do not change angles, it will need to be stoned and polished. Incase someone wines about the parts only being case hardened, it's easy enough to return the hammer to the original hardened state, if you know how. Now, as far as stoning and polishing, go slow and check often. If you over do it, you could end up with an unsafe trigger. I can't remember if I replaced the trigger spring as well, but that may also need to be done. The trigger mechanism is fairly simple on these rifles and parts can still be found. If you feel that you are not competent to do this work, take it to a qualified gunsmith..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for any info

Mark

Would you agree?

Not necessarily. There are threads on the web on this. Generally a 3 second search. Disclaimer, I am not a gunsmith, so take that for what it is. The sear should only be lightly polished, burrs removed to ease operation. Where you will need to reduce sear engagement is on the hammer. Do not change angles, it will need to be stoned and polished. Incase someone wines about the parts only being case hardened, it's easy enough to return the hammer to the original hardened state, if you know how. Now, as far as stoning and polishing, go slow and check often. If you over do it, you could end up with an unsafe trigger. I can't remember if I replaced the trigger spring as well, but that may also need to be done. The trigger mechanism is fairly simple on these rifles and parts can still be found. If you feel that you are not competent to do this work, take it to a qualified gunsmith..

Great advice. I have done a few searches on the net but since I'm not a gunsmith either, it's all a bit confusing because some people will stone & polish while I read others that moved pins & such.....
I even saw where one guy cut the hammer springs so it's only applying force from one side. Basically, instead of the spring catching on both sides of the trigger housing, one ear is clipped. I'm not comfortable at all with clipping my springs...

But yeah I will just hone and polish and that's it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for any info

Mark

Would you agree?

Great advice. I have done a few searches on the net but since I'm not a gunsmith either, it's all a bit confusing because some people will stone & polish while I read others that moved pins & such.....
I even saw where one guy cut the trigger springs so it's only applying force from one side. Basically, instead of the spring catching on both sides of the trigger housing, one ear is clipped. I'm not comfortable at all with clipping my springs...

Last edited by MPat70; 04/22/23.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks for any info

Mark

Would you agree?

I even saw where one guy cut the trigger springs so it's only applying force from one side. Basically, instead of the spring catching on both sides of the trigger housing, one ear is clipped. I'm not comfortable at all with clipping my springs...

Yep, I would not modify the parts by drilling extra holes. That's way bubba mods that should not be done IMHO. Check Numrich/gunparts corp. and see what parts they have. When I started on mine, I had 2 extra hammers, just as a fyi. While I was in there, I replaced every spring and also threw in new extractors and ejector. Works like new now. These are great rifles and most times exceptionally accurate. Good luck with yours..

Also, if you need extra magazines, the Savage 93R17 mags work very well with a slight mod. Those are very easy to find and reasonably priced.

BSA MAGA
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for any info

Mark

Would you agree?

Yep, I would not modify the parts by drilling extra holes. That's way bubba mods that should not be done IMHO. Check Numrich/gunparts corp. and see what parts they have. When I started on mine, I had 2 extra hammers, just as a fyi. While I was in there, I replaced every spring and also threw in new extractors and ejector. Works like new now. These are great rifles and most times exceptionally accurate. Good luck with yours..

Also, if you need extra magazines, the Savage 93R17 mags work very well with a slight mod. Those are very easy to find and reasonably priced.
Again, great advice. I am fortunate in that this one is in great condition doesn't appear to have been used much. It is a great shooter just would like the trigger lighter is my complaint.
Thanks
Mark

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The triggers on these are horrible, so I completely understand. Good luck with it Mark!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,840
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.