Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Why don't Alaskan Hunters use a "SLED"...??

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Not taking sides but I understand exactly what AGL wants. Same here I can haul my atv in the back of my f-150 (8') box and still pull my 22' rv. Or if I want to use it my my utility trailer will haul the atv. After seeing Swamplords dead moose pack out of a bull and Mart's cow the use of a rugged behind the atv trailer only makes sense, kinda like a winch don't need it till you do...mb

The areas I hunt for moose are places where no one wants to go, towing an empty trailer in is a nightmare & towing a full one out is impossible, you'll spoil the meat before you get that trailer out
Got it Swamplord thanks. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Why don't Alaskan Hunters use a "SLED"...??
Some do.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok,,,,, here is how I roll, I've had to many Ball-Hitch attachment's come-un-done, in Rough country this style DOES-NOT.....
all of my Back-Country Trailers have the Pintle-Ring... and with this Hitch, I've got the Ball, if I need to pull some other guys trailer out,,, yea, I've done this a few times in the past... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

Attached Images
LJ's ARGO Photos 040.jpg (75.87 KB, 136 downloads)
LJ'a ARGO Trailer Hitch....jpg (28.85 KB, 134 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok,,,,, here is how I roll, I've had to many Ball-Hitch attachment's come-un-done, in Rough country this style DOES-NOT.....
all of my Back-Country Trailers have the Pintle-Ring... and with this Hitch, I've got the Ball, if I need to pull some other guys trailer out,,, yea, I've done this a few times in the past... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

This is exactly how three of my trucks and trailers are set-up. It offers the flexibility of using the two most common hitching systems. Plus, easy to slip a chain or (recovery) tow strap on. This was my plan before I started this thread, But I was unsure if there was a better ATV specific system. I am going with the (2) two part pintle assembly, the pintle hitch and the adapting plate for the 2" Receiver. I have learned I will need a 6" or 6-1/2" "SHANK" (this allows three height settings) because the ATV has a short 2"x2" factory installed receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-P...2950c9&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

https://www.amazon.com/Pintle-Hitch...5bd31c&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2" ball on my Rhino and Wolverine, never failed me in the field.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most of the trailer hitches in my yard take a 2" ball the other 2 1 7/8" . I'd take those 2 off but as well as being bolted on the previous owners added welds. I was told if all I was going to do with the atv is move trailers in the yard for mowing to put a 1 7/8" ball on the atv and quit worrying about it. Makes sense for that but brought to mind what the guys using theirs for rough service used. So I asked. By doing so I can get input from people everywhere which seems to me very valuable..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most of the trailer hitches in my yard take a 2" ball the other 2 1 7/8" . I'd take those 2 off but as well as being bolted on the previous owners added welds. I was told if all I was going to do with the atv is move trailers in the yard for mowing to put a 1 7/8" ball on the atv and quit worrying about it. Makes sense for that but brought to mind what the guys using theirs for rough service used. So I asked. By doing so I can get input from people everywhere which seems to me very valuable..mb

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you have trailers with different hitches and the wheeler has a 2" receiver, a 3-in-1 stinger with all 3 common sizes saves a lot of frustration moving stuff around the yard. I remove any 1 7/8 and replace it with 2" asap just so I don't have to deal with that. Most trailers that use a 2 5/16 aren't going to budge with a wheeler anyway. For general use I kinda like this style:
eTrailer Link
It gives a nice tie down option that captures a strap so it can't slip off. Also a couple ways to hook a shackle to tow it out.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I removed my 2" ball and replaced it with the 1 7/8". Tongue wt is enough that the hitch stays on for just moving trailers in the yard. Mb

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
1 7/8 ball with a 2" good way to put a hole in your spendy muffler did that once no more for me.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the 2-in ball with the bolt on the bottom and not the stud hanging out ... underneath it don't catch on stumps and rocks like the leftover thread part on the one regular one with the big nut

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 3,408 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,576
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.