-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know this is a tough time to be picky about primers, but Winchester’s secrecy (that’s what it was IMO) the last time there was a problem led me to leave them off my list. Just a couple of weeks ago we ran into another corner-leak issue posted elsewhere, this time with their new 41s. Companies change, and Winchester Ammunition seems to have slipped some. I know the rimfire I bought a few years ago, supposedly “premium” had a lot of duds, and in more than one gun. A guy I shoot clays with reported recent trouble with some shotshells. I’m done with them.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by ldholton
biggest Winchester issues I had was when primers leaking upon firing then putting both faces and such. and I do not mean pierced primers

WTF you talkin about, Willis ?

He drink too much...
damn talk to text bit me again .... pitting bolt faces ... known issue of Winchester primers leaking between the cup and the primer pocket in the brass.. not with worn out brass but many times brand new brass and loads that were plenty safe not overpressured.. Big Time topic on here not so long ago how quick people forget..

The problem I experienced was a pinhole leak occurring in the "corner" of the primer, not between the cup and primer wall.

Same here….

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve been trying to get some primer issues resolved with them since last summer. I had some of the older blue box WLR primers that were leaking/piercing when fired. I called them and they asked me to send them back, which I did. I was handed off to several different people over several weeks about the issue, and the last individual asked if I’d be happy with just having them replaced. I sent them approx 950 unfired primers and he offered to send me 5000 for my troubles. I told him that this would be fine. He gathered all of my necessary information, and I’ve been dead in the water since September. They haven’t been responding to emails, and if he does by chance happen to answer the phone he always has some excuse. Typically I just get his voicemail. Terrible customer service is a way to loose an otherwise happy lifetime customer.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have about 3K of these primers with one of their effected lots. I’ve been using them as reduced load primers without any trouble. I did have several leak with standard loads.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 04/12/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The cups pinholing on the corners were the major issue I've seen, apparently it is resurfacing again, although the age of them wasn't stated, not sure if they were from the previous era or fairly new stuff. Also remember seeing pics of them cracking on the flat of the cups back then.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I haver around 2k that I quit using when I heard about this issue. Now in this shortage times I have been thinking of giving them a try but I simply will not run the risk of denting the tilting block of one of my K996s...
Did Winchester ever publish a list of the lots involved?
Thanks,

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I had some on the recall list last year and instead of replacing them, I got a check for 55.00 for the 800 I hadn't used from the original box of 1000.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ll use my non-recall WLR primers when I run out of everything else, which is highly unlikely.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had several FTF with Winchester large rifle primers, a call to their Customer Service Department and they sent prepaid UPS packaging. They gave me a UPS # to call to arrange pickup at my convenience. When they received the primers they sent me a check to re-imburse me for their cost.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.