Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Got a friend that seems to be slipping into this situation.

Mutual friend has been telling me that Ben is having memory problems.

This weekend I experienced it multiple times myself. I am at a loss how to deal with my buddy now. He is PO'd at me for something he asked me to do a few years back and now has no recollection.

Montana MOFO

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
You just have to deal with each episode as it happens, if you do come to a resolution it'll likely come up again the same or a different twist, and you'll have to deal with it again.

Kent

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Agree with Kent.

Be patient.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't feel bad, it's very common in us old farts.
I''m 78 and just now experiencing some Dementia (memory loss). Right now it's names. Sometimes I forget my DIL name, we see them many times a week, but when I have to ask wife a question about her I have to go through all the boys names along with their wife before she comes to mind.
Also long time friends, wife see's my problem and is a big help.
I still run a small business that requires lots of notes and details, no problem, but many times I need to stop and think how my computer operates, saving things, emailing things, etc.
It's turning into a PITA.

"The older I get, the better I was"
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Agree with Kent.

Be patient.

Understand.

I am trying. Got called Saturday and reamed out and we reached a resolution.

Got a call this morning and got reamed out again. We reached a different resolution. Then I asked, do you recall that you called me about this on Saturday and we dealt with it then? "Umm well... I guess".

Big problem is we are partners on a deal and all the contact goes to his address. And I am more than a little concerned things are going to be missed

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what little I know about it, and my own and friends experience that are around my age, 79, it's not unusual, especially with names. From what I've read if your aware/cognizant of it your still doing pretty good.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Agree with Kent.

Be patient.

Understand.

I am trying. Got called Saturday and reamed out and we reached a resolution.

Got a call this morning and got reamed out again. We reached a different resolution. Then I asked, do you recall that you called me about this on Saturday and we dealt with it then? "Umm well... I guess".

Big problem is we are partners on a deal and all the contact goes to his address. And I am more than a little concerned things are going to be missed

I'd get that deal fixed up sooner rather than later...

Good luck.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It happens to all of us. I use a LOT of sticky notes. Alzheimer is a lot worse than dementia. My DIL in her late fifties has Alzheimer and my son has tough go at it.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/24/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've been told by my doctor, Statin drugs stave off strokes, maybe in improved circulation will help?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I've been told by my doctor, Statin drugs stave off strokes, maybe in improved circulation will help?

Find a better doctor.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can tell you firsthand, and it's downhill.
Just hope I don't make it a nightmare for others.

The Lord be with us all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are faced with someone exhibiting the earliest signs of Alzheimers or Dementia,
I gar-an- tee that this is the Best-Advice you will receive today (and worth twice what ya pay fer it) !

Run, don't walk .... to your confuser and order-up a copy of the Book
"The 36 hour Day"

It is the Gold Standard for understanding how to recognize and what is involved in the
gradual degredation of the life/times of someone sliding down that slipery memory slope.

The book was first published 30+ years ago and has been revised and updated many times.
Make sure you order/receive the latest version (Ver 7 ... August of 2021)
It covers perspectives from family members, the patient and health care professionals.

Also ... Document / Document / Document their "observed" behavior" as you may need it in court.
If you are going to be a care giver, POA holder, court appointed Guardian or Conservator,
you NEED to read this.
- - -
Stay Calm ... and call-in an Airstrike

Silver Bullet - Out !

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Unfortunately yes, with my dad. Thankfully, dad was a friendly dementia sufferer. Didn't argue, get mean, any of that. He got frustrated at first, when he knew what was happening to him, maybe that's where your friend is at. Once this awful disease progresses to the point of complete memory loss, what I learned, is don't drag them back into your world with remember this and remember that. You have to go into their world. This is a brutal disease and was a brutal 3 years watching my dad disappear in front of me. When he passed, at age 88, he looked like a picture from a consenteation camp, wasted away...

Try to get affairs in order before too much longer.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My experience involves living with Joe Biden as President.

SUCKS!!!!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Silver Bullet gives very good advice. The 36 Hour Day is very, very helpful and informative.

Also I suggest you go to the following site and watch the short but succinct, free videos offered by Dr. Natalie Edmonds. She's been working with dementia patients for years. Her advisory videos certainly helped me deal with the problems arising when my wife was ill with Alzheimer's dementia.

https://www.careblazers.com/

I also suggest that IF there is an Alzheimer's Support Group near you, contact them and attend their meetings. You'll also receive good information there ... as you are all in the same boat, so to speak. My group in Boise was very helpful to me.

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the book recommendation Silver Bullet and Leanwolf. Ordered it just now. My Mom is getting worse and unfortunately angry as well.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There is research out there suggesting statin use increases the risk of dementia. Statins reduces cholesterol which is used in nerve development.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Benadryl is an anticholinergic drug. A lot of people use this as a regular sleep aid.

"When the researchers examined the use of anticholinergic drugs, they found that people who used these drugs were more likely to have developed dementia as those who didn't use them. Moreover, dementia risk increased along with the cumulative dose. Taking an anticholinergic for the equivalent of three years or more was associated with a 54% higher dementia risk than taking the same dose for three months or less."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If a person knows that they are forgetting things that they shouldn’t be forgetting as is common when we age it is NOT Alzheimer’s. Alzheimer’s (forgetting things) is not recognized by the patient. Dementia is when the individual is forgetful and knows they’re forgetful. Both can be troublesome for friends and loved ones as well as the patient but Alzheimer’s can be on a whole different level than dementia.

Like Kent said be patient and don’t be surprised if any resolution of prior disagreements is not remembered or it’s twisted incorrectly, your friend isn’t lying he isn’t recalling events correctly.

Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My mother had this before she passed
Be patient
Agree all the time (no confrontations) even if your right and he is wrong .. my mom was in assisted living and always asked when am I going home, my reply was soon
ReAd online about dementia and alhemers it is two different thing
They will be combative at times mad as hell too
My prayers with you as this is an ordeal to go thru
My mom couldn’t remember left and right for shoes or front and back on pants I would be mad and embarrassed but just calmly said let me help you
It is as hard on them as it is you

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.