out the back door

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmmm......?

The question is; "Can you live on deer in case the SHTF?"

Well, yeah. I "can" live on venison.....but can I find/kill enough deer to maintain the people I want to support?
I dunno? Sure hope I don't have to find out! šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
One season here in OK, I took and processed six (6) deer.
We also had a 16 year old nephew living with us.
About mid-May, the wife says, "I want hamburgers for dinner."
I HAD TO GO BUY GROUND MEAT!!!!!!
The "boy" (6'3" - 210# - NOT fat!) could eat like a refugee!!! šŸ˜³

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Here again, ground grain, gruel.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Yeah...NO!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Only if I had to. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I told my wife that in a major crisis, we'd be eating rock chucks. Then she sent me a video on how to make 'coffee' from dandelion roots. Things will be getting serious when we have to resort to that. But, it just might come to that. No coffee is grown in the US. We're totally dependent on imports for the Joe and for tea.

ā€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.ā€
ā€• George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Iā€™m very glad to see folks like yourself that take this seriously!

Being prepared kinda makes me think of the expression used during the Bush administration during the early days of the terroristā€™s attacks ā€¦..ā€they only have to be successful onceā€!

Much the same with some form of collapse, if youā€™re not preparedā€¦.. it only has to happen once! The End! šŸ˜‰ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Theres lots of wild edibles out there besides deer. Thanks to over protection we have an abundance of eagles, hawks, owls, crows and waterfowl. There are also lots of edible plants. Cattails, milk weed, plantain, nettles, dandelion greens, ramps, black berries, wintergreen and rose hips being but a few that grow here on my land. It might be a good idea to learn what wild edibles grow in your area.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We have a lot of Mormons around here. Their church wants everyone to have a minimum of 6 months of food on hand at all times, 2 years is better. The problem is that everyone else knows it. The Mormons say they all have guns and will fight to defend themselves again food raids, but no homeowner can hold off a gang alone for very long. They depend on their church friends to help them but while those friends are helping, their unguarded homes are being raided.

ā€• George Orwell

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I remember a Cajun friend waxing enthusiastic about his grandma's Robin pie....ingredients harvested with a BB gun.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No, and no, how fragile are the growing and storage of them ? We burned so many tons of rice fifty years ago .

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by blanket
No, and no, how fragile are the growing and storage of them ? We burned so many tons of rice fifty years ago .

I hope that our 200 or so pounds of rice doesnā€™t meet the same fate! Stored in sealed Mylar bags with moisture and O2 packets, in sealed 5 gallon buckets. Iā€™m hoping they have a long shelf/storage life!

Iā€™m thinking that a good, well seasoned Rock Chuck Gumbo over rice would be pretty darn good! šŸ˜‰ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Lots of guys on here talk about shooting deer to feed the family. I got curious on just how long the deer population would last if/when it gets to this.
Originally Posted by memtb
Iā€™m thinking that a good, well seasoned Rock Chuck Gumbo over rice would be pretty darn good! šŸ˜‰ memtb
You may not like that Rock Chuck started this thread memtb, but, cannibalism? c'mon memtb.

ĪœĪŸĪ›Ī©Ī Ī›Ī‘Ī’Ī•
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started grinding my deer last year, three so far, and it's all we use when ground beef it called for, I do add some pork so it's not official "deer" but it would not be much of a sacrifice to give up on beef/pork if I had to.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mad_Max
Lots of guys on here talk about shooting deer to feed the family. I got curious on just how long the deer population would last if/when it gets to this.
You may not like that Rock Chuck started this thread memtb, but, cannibalism? c'mon memtb.

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ I hadnā€™t thought of that when I made my comment! šŸ™€ I was only thinking of the cute, little furry kind of Rock Chucks! šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‚ memtb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Dad grew up in the depression in Northern Minnesota ........venison is about all that they ate for years.

RAVENS & WOLVES
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ I hadnā€™t thought of that when I made my comment! šŸ™€ I was only thinking of the cute, little furry kind of Rock Chucks! šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‚ memtb

Whoā€™s to say Rock Chuck is t cute and furry?

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The point of the OP is how long the deer/hog/rodent population will last before being depleted beyond use. Rodents - indefinitely. Hogs - quite a while. Deer - weeks.

ā€• George Orwell

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I fed my family deer meat for thirty years, probably only ate 15 percent of other meatā€™s, we are overrun with deer on ranch, problem would be saving them for us, city people would be everywhere if things went south.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Whoā€™s to say Rock Chuck is t cute and furry?

Thatā€™s a very good point! I guess that I pictured him as old, tuff, with lots of gristle! šŸ˜‚ memtb

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,521
Posts18,509,659
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.