Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Sorry to hear that, he was a long time law man, just like his dad & a great story teller. He will be missed!

Dick,

I remember reading of Tanks' and Doc's visit with him some years back. Sounded like a great host.

Ed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I have Skeeter Skelton's last book, unread, still in the original shipping sleeve, for sale.
L.W.

He titled his book "unread"?

Doesn't seem like a smart marketing move.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I was very sorry to hear that.

Got to know Bart some over the years through things like the SHOT Show, but really got to know him on a gun-writer trip to Finland in 2015, touring the Sako/Tikka factory and hunting a coupleof days. We ended up sharing the same spacious two-story "room" at the hotel (which included a big sauna), and stayed up until after 2:00 AM the first night talking, helped by a some libations from the mini-bar. Didn't stay up as late after that, but had a great time, all the time. We kept in touch afterwards--but it's always hard to hear of a friend's passing, especially when they're a little younger.

Here's a photo from the last night of the trip, during a cook-out (the meal was served inside a big yurt), including plenty of Finnish "spirits", reindeer meat, and a few of the hunting dogs used in traditional driven Finnish hunts.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry to hear of his passing. RIP!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good man, as was his father. Sorry to hear of his passing. May he rest in peace.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Sorry to hear of Bart's death. Bart and Skeeter were good, interesting story tellers. I have Skeeter Skelton's last book, unread, still in the original shipping sleeve, for sale. I have most of Skeeter's Shooting Magazine articles so do not need the book. Ordered it before Skeeter died. I want $90.00 plus $10.00 for shipping, USPO MO.

PM me if you're interested.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L.W.

Hahaha!

That’s actually a damned good deal on that book !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
He was also a campfire member here.

Sorry to hear about Bart. Liked his articles almost as much as I liked his dad’s, Skeeter’s articles.
End of a great era of handgun wordsmiths and old time LEO’s like Skeeter.
I went to college with one of their cousins at TAMU.

Barry, what was Bart’s campfire “handle” ???

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A good guy. A link to those who proceeded him. Damn.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
He was also a campfire member here.

Sorry to hear about Bart. Liked his articles almost as much as I liked his dad’s, Skeeter’s articles.
End of a great era of handgun wordsmiths and old time LEO’s like Skeeter.
I went to college with one of their cousins at TAMU.

Barry, what was Bart’s campfire “handle” ???

Taffin is still kicking as is that youngster Brian Pearce.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Too bad, 69 isn't that old in this day and age.

For some reason I thought that Bart was a little younger than me, not a little older.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Dang!

No one!

An Era is almost over.

The end of the guys who could write about a time that exists only in the memories
of aging men!
Well said. I am sorry to hear of Bart Skelton's passing; I read both him and his Dad and enjoyed them both.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fubarski
I have Skeeter Skelton's last book, unread, still in the original shipping sleeve, for sale.
L.W.

He titled his book "unread"?

Doesn't seem like a smart marketing move.

Pardon the poor phrasing. Should have written, "It is unread" indicating it is in 100% new condition. I did not major in Marketing in college so hope you'll cut me some slack. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a sad bit of news for sure.

I'll confess that I couldn't read Bart's stuff. Not that I found anything wrong with it, it was just that I didn't want to be judging his writing against his father's writing, I guess. Skeeter was probably my all time favorite gun writing story teller, having grown and kicked around up in places he often mentioned, and his "Me and Joe" stories that reminded me so much of my own youth...whatever it was, it just didn't seem fair to me and I didn't want to come to think of him as a second rate gunwriter. If that makes any sense...

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing I turned up a few years ago, researching Skeeter: he and his wife had a son born before Bart who died very young. That's not something mentioned in any of their writing as far as I know.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I heard about this earlier today. Too bad. I really enjoyed his and his dads writing. God speed Bart. Prayers for his family.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sorry to hear this. I didn't read him much as I'd gotten away from most magazines by the time he started writing much. A NM state Trooper? 69 seems young, or not, my age. Curious if he'd been sick long, I hadn't heard anything. Wondering if he had children. Just the usual things, I guess.

RIP sir.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
RIP, my literary friend - I enjoyed your writing.
Condolences to family and friends.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Godspeed Bart!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I was very sorry to hear that.

Got to know Bart some over the years through things like the SHOT Show, but really got to know him on a gun-writer trip to Finland in 2015, touring the Sako/Tikka factory and hunting a coupleof days. We ended up sharing the same spacious two-story "room" at the hotel (which included a big sauna), and stayed up until after 2:00 AM the first night talking, helped by a some libations from the mini-bar. Didn't stay up as late after that, but had a great time, all the time. We kept in touch afterwards--but it's always hard to hear of a friend's passing, especially when they're a little younger.

Here's a photo from the last night of the trip, during a cook-out (the meal was served inside a big yurt), including plenty of Finnish "spirits", reindeer meat, and a few of the hunting dogs used in traditional driven Finnish hunts.

[Linked Image]
You ate the dogs?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Sorry to hear of Bart's death. Bart and Skeeter were good, interesting story tellers. I have Skeeter Skelton's last book, unread, still in the original shipping sleeve, for sale. I have most of Skeeter's Shooting Magazine articles so do not need the book. Ordered it before Skeeter died. I want $90.00 plus $10.00 for shipping, USPO MO.

PM me if you're interested.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L.W.

Hahaha!

That’s actually a damned good deal on that book !

That may be....didn't seem like the right time to make a quick buck.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.