Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a friend in Boise, Idaho who needs a recommendation for a gunsmith/machinist in the Boise area to thread a barrel for a muzzle brake.
If anyone could recommend one I will pass the info on to him.

Thanks,

drover

Last edited by drover; 04/25/23.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mel Doyle but I think his son has taken over….Doyle’s Gunshop 206-686-1006

He did a lot of work for me back in the day and was extremely reasonable, did great work and had a fast turnaround.

I recently saw that Williams bought Answer Brake which was a very effective brake. Maybe search for the Williams Muzzle Brake?

Good luck

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the response but he is looking for someone in the Boise area. I edited the post to add that.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
While I have not used them I have read good thing about them.

https://buckhornguns.com/gunsmithing/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for that Ed - I forwarded the info to him. Their reviews look pretty good but then who posts bad reviews on their website

drover

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I know John Taffin has had them do a lot of work.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
PM sent
Avoid Buckhorn

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks to all for the info - I have sent the recommendations to my friend and it is all in his hands now

drover

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RinB
PM sent
Avoid Buckhorn

What did they do for you that left you disappointed? Threading a barrel?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Mel Doyle but I think his son has taken over….Doyle’s Gunshop 206-686-1006

He did a lot of work for me back in the day and was extremely reasonable, did great work and had a fast turnaround.

I recently saw that Williams bought Answer Brake which was a very effective brake. Maybe search for the Williams Muzzle Brake?

Good luck

If you’re speaking of the Mel Doyle from the St. Maries and later Plummer area, he sadly passed away about 2 years ago.
He was a good gunsmith and a great man. Very missed.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rk Gunsmithing Phone: (208) 467-3075

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Be wary!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikeinid
Be wary!
nothing wrong with using a hammer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know what individual experiences others have had but do have one experience each with two mentioned and a couple not mentioned so far.

Buckhorn Gun has an expert machinist and a general gunsmith on hand, they seem to complement each other with their respective skills.. They seem to know what they're doing and did good work in a reasonable time frame but they are expensive. They charged me $239.30 to cut a few hundredths off a barrel and recrown it. That was last year, maybe that's the going rate this year after 12 months of Brandon's inflation.

RK Gunsmithing gets mixed google reviews, apparently some folks have had good experiences there. In my one and only experience, the man ruined a fine revolver. Calling that guy a hack and a butcher is an insult to hacks and butchers. I would never, ever take a nice firearm there. I would never, ever take a POS firearm there, either.

QPR Gunsmithing is in Nampa which is only a few miles west of Boise. He does good work for a reasonable price. He is mainly a pistol smith but from what I understand is set up to do gunsmithing on rifles as well. I'd recommend him, just don't expect to get anything back from him soon. It took three months to get a pinned front sight installed in a S&W revolver. His work is in demand which explains the wait times but he's honest with you about the time frame and keeps a sign in his shop that tells you exactly how many jobs are ahead of yours.

I would not recommend the gunsmith at Independence Shooting, either, but that's all I'll say about that.

A good gunsmith is hard to find. "Fast, cheap, good - pick two" definitely applies. We used to have two excellent smiths in Boise and Nampa - good work, good prices and pretty quick turnaround. One had his work featured in Rifle magazine, but he died and the other retired to Florida about 3-4 years ago. I haven't found anyone to replace them yet. There may be some folks just as good, I just haven't found them.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Milton Morrison, QPR in Nampa.

Jim
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Don't know what individual experiences others have had but do have one experience each with two mentioned and a couple not mentioned so far.

Buckhorn Gun has an expert machinist and a general gunsmith on hand, they seem to complement each other with their respective skills.. They seem to know what they're doing and did good work in a reasonable time frame but they are expensive. They charged me $239.30 to cut a few hundredths off a barrel and recrown it. That was last year, maybe that's the going rate this year after 12 months of Brandon's inflation.

RK Gunsmithing gets mixed google reviews, apparently some folks have had good experiences there. In my one and only experience, the man ruined a fine revolver. Calling that guy a hack and a butcher is an insult to hacks and butchers. I would never, ever take a nice firearm there. I would never, ever take a POS firearm there, either.

QPR Gunsmithing is in Nampa which is only a few miles west of Boise. He does good work for a reasonable price. He is mainly a pistol smith but from what I understand is set up to do gunsmithing on rifles as well. I'd recommend him, just don't expect to get anything back from him soon. It took three months to get a pinned front sight installed in a S&W revolver. His work is in demand which explains the wait times but he's honest with you about the time frame and keeps a sign in his shop that tells you exactly how many jobs are ahead of yours.

I would not recommend the gunsmith at Independence Shooting, either, but that's all I'll say about that.

A good gunsmith is hard to find. "Fast, cheap, good - pick two" definitely applies. We used to have two excellent smiths in Boise and Nampa - good work, good prices and pretty quick turnaround. One had his work featured in Rifle magazine, but he died and the other retired to Florida about 3-4 years ago. I haven't found anyone to replace them yet. There may be some folks just as good, I just haven't found them.

I think you got hosed.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Are there good gunsmiths left anywhere? My experiences with them go something like this.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If you don't mind a little drive to Twin Falls, Lock Stock and Barrel (Wes Wilson) is a good gunsmith. He also carries a pretty good selection of guns and ammunition. He gets work done fairly quickly as well.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Alas, I recall the days when George Hoenig worked out of his Boise home. He did a lot for me. Those days are gone, and most of those worth their salt in the trade are expensive and have a big backlog.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ask around Boise Gun Shops and find Andrew Pike, i haven't heard from him for a while and have lost track of his # but he was in Boise last I knew, his wife owns a custom gun shop of some kind in Boise. Rio7

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.