Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Today was one of those smooth, relaxed range days with no equipment worries. I had to accomplish two things. The first was to sight in my 22 WMR with that Hawke 4 power scope I just bought. The second was to form 22 K-Hornet cases.

The weather was perfect. The club was busy, but there were only a few guys at the 100 yard range. I was actually using the 50 yard, but that is part of the 100 yd range. I chatted with a guy who works part-time at Epps. He was there to sight in his BP rifle. Another guy was a brand new member, checking things out.

I don't think I have ever been at the range with a Hornet or a K-Hornet and a 22 WMR at the same time. Some folks say, "Well, pick one or the other. There's no need to have both." I say, why not have both?

My 22 K-Hornet says to the 22 WMR, 'Anything you can do, I can do better!' Okay, so let them fight! Betty Hutton is my 22 K-Hornet. Howard Keel is my 22 WMR. Watching them them argue is fun! You can watch this song clip or just jump over it. It's from, Annie Get Your Gun.

Marlin 983T - 22WMR

The Marlin shown at the top of the page is a North Haven made rifle. It has a plastic stock, a 22" Micro-Groove rifled, 1 in 16 twist, 20 groove barrel. I replaced the trigger with a Rifle Basix. The scope is an inexpensive 4x32 Hawke Vantage AO scope with a mildot reticle. For this scope, I think the mildots are a gimmick. The adjustable objective is okay. I dialed between 50 and 100 yards with no sight issues.

I've only had the scope for a short time, but since it's being used with a 22 WMR, recoil isn't an issue. Here's the original sighting in target. The first shot was low. The second was centre high. The rest were about 1/2 inch high which means they work at 100 yd. The 8 shots measured 0.43.

Handi Rifle 22 K-Hornet

Part two was sighting in this older Leupold scope and finishing up forming cases into K-Hornet. This Leupold is almost 40 years old. It went back for a service once. One of the adjustments didn't work. The repair was free (naturally) and will outlast me. It has the old style friction fit adjustments, not the modern click type. No matter. It looks good, is crystal clear and has a low profile. I have owned eight Handi Rifles, but only this one and H&R's Survival model in 308 Winchester were good to me. I got it reamed to 22 K-Hornet and never looked back.

The surprise was 2400 powder and the little 35 gr Hornady bullets. Granted, it was only 50 yards, but there are 24 bullet holes in the picture. Seven are sighters. I emptied the rest into the middle. The math tells me it's a 0.803 inch cluster. I wasn't shooting for groups or checking velocity. Just making cases. I hope the K-Hornet loads are as good as this...or better. smile The first shot was high right. The second shot was centre right. The other five sighters are below the cluster. I was futzing with the friction adjustment.

Of the 50 cases fired over two days, I lost 4. If you are into math and geeky, that's an 8% failure rate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for sharing.

I like those old friction adjustment Leupolds, set and forget.

I have one on my CZ 527 .22 K-Hornet. Works great.

My latest load is the 33 gr. Shock Hammer over 14 gr 300 MP with CCI 450 primers.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thanks for sharing.

I like those old friction adjustment Leupolds, set and forget.

I have one on my CZ 527 .22 K-Hornet. Works great.

My latest load is the 33 gr. Shock Hammer over 14 gr 300 MP with CCI 450 primers.

DF

I agree, especially for something like a Hornet/K-Hornet or any other shorter range hunting rifle. I understand why the long range guys want a high power scope. I honestly wonder how many that have what I call "super dialers" actually use them for their intended purpose. smile Use what you like, I guess.

I am going to play a little more with 2400. I have a pound that isn't doing much except aging.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In have a Redfield friction adjustment scope I bought brand new about 1971, never a problem with it. have it on my 30-06

Last edited by DonFischer; 04/26/23.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DonFischer
In have a Redfield friction adjustment scope I bought brand new about 1971, never a problem with it. have it on my 30-06

Some things just work.

I think that hunters have to watch not to get too caught up in what is the latest and best - because often, it isn't. Case in point with this little 4 power Leupold or the 4x32 Hawke. Both are mounted to hunting rifles with a short reach. These set and forget scopes are in their element. They have fewer moving parts and are less likely to break. You just lift them to your eye, point and shoot.

I like their simplicity.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have three 4x scopes, a rebuilt Weaver, a Leupold and a Bushnell Scopechief . The Bushnell is the gem . Even when we had big wide open clear cuts after the beetle kill harvest, the most I felt I needed was a 9x. Then range finders and wind calculations were also needed . Since the reforested areas have grown, a 100 yard shot is long one.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my K-hornets old brass crack about 4 % of very used cases like on the 4 th or more times resized. i guess maybe i should candle annealing ?

Last edited by pete53; 04/27/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pete53
my K-hornets old brass crack about 4 % of very used cases like on the 4 th or more times resized. i guess maybe i should candle annealing ?
Old, worked brass gets pretty brittle and hard.

New brass is much more pliable.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by pete53

Yeah, it will help.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257 mag, badwolf, 35, BABore, BDR1, 7 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.