Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Today is hemi day. I look forward to this date every year.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Is your daughter coming over to give you a ride again?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Is your daughter coming over to give you a ride again?

Lol.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since the root term is hemimorphic, hemi day would be used as a reference to half of something - maybe an invention that never got it all together into some sensible form? Half-a----?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by CCCC
Since the root term is hemimorphic, hemi day would be used as a reference to half of something - maybe an invention that never got it all together into some sensible form? Half-a----?

If we is makin car talk, I think the word is hemispheric.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo

Winner.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by gunzo
Winner.
Actually, the prefix stands on its own and the hemimphoric is not its root term - just a chem type term.
Since the OP and earlier posts didn't sound like engine talk, didn't take it there.

Ran two or three of those Chrysler V8s over a period of time, but did ponder whether or not the term hemispheric was technically correct in that application - not really a half sphere, eh? But, excellent engines in those. Happy hemi day.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tomorrow is wedgie day.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Tomorrow is wedgie day.

That's for the lgbtq crowd.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I misread the calendar. I thought today was SEMI day.

How embarrassing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless you've seen Nitromethane burning hemis in person you simply cannot comprehend.
It's not your fault.
The human brain cannot comprehend that kind of violent horsepower.
You think you can, but you can't.
No..you can't.
8, 000 horsepower is nothing compared to today.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The human brain is incapable of comprehending it unless you've been there.
Extreme violence.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's so ridiculous.
No audio or video can portray what happens.
It's defies description.
The loudest, most violent thing you will ever see in your life.
You can't know unless you go.
Impossible.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The comments about the Hemi had me looking for the following I have kept on my documents files for years.

For those who love numbers, engineers, speed freaks and those who think they have gone too fast at one time or another. This puts Corvette performance in perspective.. This article mentions Lingenfelter twin turbo powered Z06.
Read this thru slowly and try to comprehend the amount of force produced in just under 4 seconds! The last paragraph puts it all into perspective!
There are no rockets or airplanes built by any government in the world that can accelerate from a standing start as fast as a
Top Fuel Dragster or Funny Car…..and that includes any aircraft launched by a catapult from an aircraft carrier. Nothing can compare…..

DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION

One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.
It takes just 15/100ths (0.15) of a second for all 6,000+ horsepower (some believe 8,000 HP is more realistic - there are no dynamometers capable of measuring) of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels.
Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.
A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.
With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.
Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitromethane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg F. (Oxy-acetylene on "cut" is 6,300)
Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during one pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.
Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimate $1,000.00 per second.
The current top fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.428 seconds for the quarter mile (11/12/06, Tony Schumacher, at Pomona , CA ).. The top speed record is 336.15 mph as measured over the last 66' of the run (05/25/05 Tony Schumacher, at Hebron , OH ).
Putting all of this into perspective:
You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter 'twin-turbo' powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that instant.
The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.
Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

...... and that my friend, is ACCELERATION!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's WAY crazier than that now.

Proud NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Took a bud to one of the Sonoma races, was his first time seeing T/F dragsters up close and personal. He thought it was great when someone fired up theirs, he about came out of his clothes when they bliped the throttle. Funny as hell seeing his reaction he had no clue and I didn't tell him in advance regarding the throttle response and sound.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love taking first timers.
They think they know..🤣🤣😪
They all schidt their pants.
Especially the Nascar guys that think they know what fast is.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJL53
Took a bud to one of the Sonoma races, was his first time seeing T/F dragsters up close and personal. He thought it was great when someone fired up theirs, he about came out of his clothes when they bliped the throttle. Funny as hell seeing his reaction he had no clue and I didn't tell him in advance regarding the throttle response and sound.

Unless you've been there, you simply cannot understand.
It defies description.
You might think you know, but you can't.
You just can't.
It's the loudest, most violent thing you will ever experience.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't been to a T/F or Funny car race in quite some time but I used to love the impact of the noise on my body.

Too bad most of the tracks have gone to racing 1000 feet now instead of the quarter mile, but I can definitely see how they need to with the power they are running now and the limited runoff distances on most tracks these days.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.