B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
A brief history of the punt gun.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/punt-gun-history/

I want one!

“To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift.” -Steve Prefontaine

Matthew 25:31-46
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One of my friends was able to acquire two of them private treaty from a local seller a few years back. Remarkable items, unbelievably large heavy and unwieldy. So unlike shotguns of today.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They were popular here on Long Island at the turn of the century.The market hunters would supply New York City restaurants and hotel's with waterfowl.Big business back then.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They have a bunch of them on display at the Chesapeake Bay Museum in St. Michaels, MD. They are definitely badass. They even have a couple of the punt boats with the guns resting in their cradle on the boats. Some of these things are 10' to 15' long and I think that they're from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I can't remember how much powder and shot they pour down them, but it's gotta be a lot. Back in the day, the geese and duck population was over the top and they could kill up to 50 geese with one shot if they could paddle into the right position and get close enough without getting found out.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
They have a bunch of them on display at the Chesapeake Bay Museum in St. Michaels, MD. They are definitely badass. They even have a couple of the punt boats with the guns resting in their cradle on the boats. Some of these things are 10' to 15' long and I think that they're from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I can't remember how much powder and shot they pour down them, but it's gotta be a lot. Back in the day, the geese and duck population was over the top and they could kill up to 50 geese with one shot if they could paddle into the right position and get close enough without getting found out.

That's a neat museum. That one blind boat there with essentially zero freeboard, you can keep that one, I spent enough time on a submarine.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Punt gun? Sounds like Tucker Carlson getting fired.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
3 ounces of powder and 1 and a half pounds of shot. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
That be be a great crowd dispersal device.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you ain’t read Michener’s “Chesapeake”, he goes into these things pretty well. The reason for the Watermen to use them, and the reasons why the G&F departments wanting them outlawed.
Great for killing large amounts of waterfowl for market. But like most things, it’s easily overdone.
You guys that know me, know I don’t read much fiction, but “Chesapeake” And “Space” are two of the best books written.
Both are great reading.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you have a Lab or a Chesapeake, "The Watermen" chapter is a must read.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
If you ain’t read Michener’s “Chesapeake”, he goes into these things pretty well. The reason for the Watermen to use them, and the reasons why the G&F departments wanting them outlawed.
Great for killing large amounts of waterfowl for market. But like most things, it’s easily overdone.
You guys that know me, know I don’t read much fiction, but “Chesapeake” And “Space” are two of the best books written.
Both are great reading.
7mm

Chesapeake is definitely one of my favourite books.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Battery guns killed a lot more than punt guns and could be reloaded in the boat. The old market gunners lived a tough life

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Both are great reading.
7mm
I've read Chesapeake any number of times. I love it.

Uncontrolled market hunting has done some real damage to our wildlife. The big guns devastated the ducks and geese on the east coast rivers and bays. The hunters about drove the whitetail to extinction. There were a number of states with less than 1000 deer surviving at the turn of the century.
And, they did drive the passenger pigeon to extinction. It wasn't the shooting that killed off the pigeons, though. Their numbers and reproduction rate could have withstood shooting indefinitely. What put them under was when hunters started haunting the nesting sites. The birds would fly out to feed and then return in vast numbers just before dark. The hunters would blast away. They didn't kill that many but they chased the birds from their nesting sites. They had no place to go and didn't reset any eggs. An entire generation was lost in 1 year. It only took a few years and numbers dropped beyond recovery.

For years it was believed that market hunters killed off the buffalo, too, but that's been pretty much disproven. It was disease, not bullets that killed them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (1badf350, 1234, 30incher, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 1,766 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.