Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Heading back home to do some fishing this summer for reds on the Russian and Kenai rivers. Sold most of my fishing gear before moving out. Still have my Ross 10wt reel so I'm covered but will need a couple more reels. One for the wife and one backup.
Would appreciate some suggestions on 10wt reels with good drags. Like to keep the price to no more than $150 each.
Thanks.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Look at the Cheeky line up. Made in China but what isn't any more. Ebay use to be a fair source for reels but have not prowler around there for a while

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Look at the Cheeky line up. Made in China but what isn't any more. Ebay use to be a fair source for reels but have not prowler around there for a while

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
A good friend of mine is a professional fly fishing guide down in mexico and he used to use Cheeky reels. He has since abandoned them after he had multiple reels not hold up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Waterworks - Lamson Liquid 9+ is about $120.

I have an older Echo that has held up well. I don't recall which model. Might be worth a look at current offerings.

For inexpensive fly rods I and most of my cabin neighbors use the Okuma Kenai Red rods from Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JimInAK
Waterworks - Lamson Liquid 9+ is about $120.

I have an older Echo that has held up well. I don't recall which model. Might be worth a look at current offerings.

For inexpensive fly rods I and most of my cabin neighbors use the Okuma Kenai Red rods from Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna.

I’ve always liked Lamson’s conical drag system. I think for the price those Liquids are a great reel, even if they are cast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10W reel for reds?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
all I use for reds on the Kenai River is a Pfleuger knucklebuster on a 7wt 9ft Lamiglass flyrod

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FishinHank
A good friend of mine is a professional fly fishing guide down in mexico and he used to use Cheeky reels. He has since abandoned them after he had multiple reels not hold up.

Cheekys are junk. If you want to keep it under $200 go with a lamson. They make a great reel. I have 2 I fish in salt a lot and they are over 20 years old.

A 7 weight would be fine for reds.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys. I already knew about Lamsons but never owned one. I'll pick up one or two before heading up.
Could wait till I got there (no sales tax). Think Sportsmans or Cabelas would have them in stock in Anchorage?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mossy's carries the full run of Lamson usually. They will also carry flies reds hit routinely.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Reds don't hit flies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
Reds don't hit flies.
A gentle nibble works. Have not snagged intentionally in years.
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
TFO

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bobmn
TFO
I have and use several TFO BVKs, especially on spey rods. They are a lot of reel for the money and tough.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Reds don't hit flies.
wink

Flossing = lining = snaggin id da mouf = force feeding etc . etc ...

a technique that works very well when done right and doesn't look like the forced snagging most morons do

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Reds don't hit flies.
wink

a technique that works very well when done right and doesn't look like the forced snagging most morons do

I grew up doing it and can do it proficiently. Have not had to do it for years. Bonefish flies work very well and virtually every fish is caught inside the point of the nose. Not uncommon to hook them in the tongue. They bite.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They bite.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reds don't hit flies.
wink

I grew up doing it and can do it proficiently. Have not had to do it for years. Bonefish flies work very well and virtually every fish is caught inside the point of the nose. Not uncommon to hook them in the tongue. They bite.

Remember the Klondike Kid and his Outdoor Journal website? He was always talking about his Kenai Krill Killer fly. I've watched big Dan Hardy stomp them with his switch rod at the bottom of his swing. No doubt they bite if you put the right fly in front of them. Heck, I've caught a ton on kwikfish. The guide fleet is now smoking the middle river fish at the mouth of Skilak trolling plugs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Reds don't hit flies.
wink

Remember the Klondike Kid and his Outdoor Journal website? He was always talking about his Kenai Krill Killer fly. I've watched big Dan Hardy stomp them with his switch rod at the bottom of his swing. No doubt they bite if you put the right fly in front of them. Heck, I've caught a ton on kwikfish. The guide fleet is now smoking the middle river fish at the mouth of Skilak trolling plugs.
Got into them heavy just below Big Eddy on plugs last year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,465
Posts18,489,854
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.