Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Most songbirds migrate at night, flight speed maybe 25mph for the smallest to 40 for the bigger ones.

Based on weather radar returns ( dots on the map) an estimated 340 million migrants were/are in the air last night, riding favorable winds in clear skies, most coming in from the Gulf of Mexico up from the Yucatán. This is peak migration season.

https://birdcast.info/migration-tools/live-migration-maps/

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Actually, even given such numbers, they’re not always that visible on the ground the next day because they come down scattered pretty thin over the landscape.

THIS is what is forecast to happen along the coast tonight, in the case Corpus Christi: Strong cold front w/thunderstorms. Nearly perfect timing (a bit earlier in the night might be better). Southerly winds pushing birds north over the Gulf abruptly doing a 180 with heavy rain.

Which means if you’re a songbird over open water, your forward progress is gonna slow to little or none while getting hammered from above. This is what Windy.com predicts for Saturday morning; songbird catastrophe.

And here is the predicted migrant forecast for tonight as the front approaches the coast….

If this were a computer simulation, picture maybe 100 million little dots creeping north, then piling up against that cold front and getting scattered all over. Birds don’t get tired, they fly until they run out of fuel. Those over land or lucky enough to make landfall land immediately.

Always a crapshoot but conditions are right for what is called a “fallout”, best I’ve seen in years. In a big one birds are everywhere, practically every bush and tree. Ever’body and their brother into birds is gonna be at the coast with binocs in the morning. Could be spectacular.

This is very interesting to me sir, thank you for sharing the info with us. My wife and I went to Grand Isle, Louisiana several weeks ago to catch some of the early arrivals. I hope most of the birds make it tonight but as we know, mother nature is a cruel bitch. Here's a few pics from Grand Isle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Windfall
The bird population was definitely down in central Florida this winter. Last year I recorded 43 different species within half a mile of our place. This winter in the same area I only got to 32 species with fewer sightings of any of the species. I've read what Miles58 posted and I am particularly worried about the loons going down because they iced up during their migration. We've had three in the lake at the cottage for years and it just wouldn't be the same up there without them.

If people have the ability to evaluate their condition, and get the uninjured birds to a big pond or a lake instead of trying to drag them around until they find someone to evaluate the bird They can get food and rest and be ready to go in relatively short time. Birds live on such thin margins that evaluation is not easy and the stress of handling can easily kill many of them. Loons can do quite well if you just get them to a lake and release them quickly. Dragging them to a Veterinarian or wildlife rehab is just added stress they benefit little as a species from.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
When I worked on Offshore drilling rigs I remember seeing many bird species I had never seen before when springtime storms rolled through. They'd land on the Rig and rest, I think most of them died there. Not a single thing to refuel on - on the big hunk of steel.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Here in central Mississippi, we just had three male and two female grosbeaks at our feeders. We’ve seen one or two before but never three males at the same time.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
lA good example of the fragility of their day to day life is available right now here in Minnesota. The Yellow Rumped Warblers have arrived and THEY ARE HUNGRY. The fuel to get here is about gone and they are eating machines that could embarrass a bear. All the suet crumbs spilled onto the ground after the Pileateds attack a feeder gets cleaned up plus they empty the feeders in but a day. They need the food a lot more now, than do the birds who live here year 'round. and they go through it much, much faster.
They only go to southern Ontario and Manitoba, a day or two of flight time, but they HAVE TO spend their days here fueling up. The few bugs available now are their mainstay and they become very aggressive over them. Starving birds can become surprisingly omnivorous!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They will rest on whatever flotsam they can find...rafts of seaweed, ships, rigs. Generally, birds and insects take advantaged of low level jetstreams to assist their flight...a good tailwind can sure speed movement.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When I fished offshore in the northern gulf I had birds land on the boat every spring. I know I helped a few get to land and fuel up. I’d feed them bread or whatever I was eating and put fresh water out. Many would eat and drink. You could see them perk up within just a minute or two of eating and drinking. Many would ride the boat all the way to shore.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
When I fished offshore in the northern gulf I had birds land on the boat every spring. I know I helped a few get to land and fuel up. I’d feed them bread or whatever I was eating and put fresh water out. Many would eat and drink. You could see them perk up within just a minute or two of eating and drinking. Many would ride the boat all the way to shore.

Think about all the hungry mouths under the waves, and then consider on how many birds never make it to shore and consider the job it would be to quantify that! Then consider on how many of those hungry mouths under the waves depend on that twice per year bonus that just drops in for pre spawn protein or pre shell molt protein.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Sandhill cranes came pouring over, here, yesterday. I declare it officially SPRING!!!

Pay no attention to that 18 inches of snow on my lawn yet. It will be gone in a week.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I stopped feeding birds when it warmed up - I'm going to start back feeding today.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
Birdie, is there much of a chance some of these migrating birds would be flying above the storms?

How high they fly is one of the most recent things being worked out. This here is the blackpoll warbler, a five-inch bird, one of the most common birds in the subarctic spruce woods. They migrate southeast in late summer to New England, then head out southeast from the coast, pick up the trade winds a couple of hundred miles offshore and get blown southwest to Venezuela and Colombia. Up to three days and 2,000 miles nonstop over open water.

They change altitude en route to pick up favorable winds, anywhere from about 1,000 to 18,000 feet.

The Birdcast people themselves have been examining radar data, concluding 5,000ft altitudes over Texas.

https://birdcast.info/news/migratio...nocturnally-migrating-birds-in-late-may/

One European warbler has recently been clocked at reaching 25,000ft crossing the Sahara but I dunno that even that high is enough to pass over thunderstorms, plus all the chaotic up and downdrafts. What is known that fronts cause a fallout, presumably across the board.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Birds….throughout the years here I’ve really enjoyed the posts you make about birds and history. The additional commentary that you add is always helpful and I usually come away a little bit smarter. This is another one of those great posts. I hope the tweety’s don’t suffer a big fallout and they have a good nesting season because I’ve always enjoyed the company of our feathered friends.

I hope you take pictures and report on what you find as a follow up to this. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Birds….throughout the years here I’ve really enjoyed the posts you make about birds and history. The additional commentary that you add is always helpful and I usually come away a little bit smarter. This is another one of those great posts. I hope the tweety’s don’t suffer a big fallout and they have a good nesting season because I’ve always enjoyed the company of our feathered friends.

I hope you take pictures and report on what you find as a follow up to this. 👍🏼

Never really GAS about birds.
Can't eat most of them😁 and most of what we have here are just brown or black birds. That screw with your plants or make a mess!

Birdy 🐦 makes birds interesting!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just freshened up the feeders in my mom’s backyard. Had a Summer Tanager a minute ago. Haven’t seen in years.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

Think about all the hungry mouths under the waves, and then consider on how many birds never make it to shore and consider the job it would be to quantify that! Then consider on how many of those hungry mouths under the waves depend on that twice per year bonus that just drops in for pre spawn protein or pre shell molt protein.
Having spend many years going offshore I appreciate the vastness of the ocean. In the scheme of things if all the birds fell into the ocean they wouldn’t even be noticed by the sea-life. You could scatter every one of the three billion birds into the ocean and it wouldn’t be a blip in the food chain.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Most songbirds migrate at night, flight speed maybe 25mph for the smallest to 40 for the bigger ones.

Based on weather radar returns ( dots on the map) an estimated 340 million migrants were/are in the air last night, riding favorable winds in clear skies, most coming in from the Gulf of Mexico up from the Yucatán. This is peak migration season.

https://birdcast.info/migration-tools/live-migration-maps/

Actually, even given such numbers, they’re not always that visible on the ground the next day because they come down scattered pretty thin over the landscape.

THIS is what is forecast to happen along the coast tonight, in the case Corpus Christi: Strong cold front w/thunderstorms. Nearly perfect timing (a bit earlier in the night might be better). Southerly winds pushing birds north over the Gulf abruptly doing a 180 with heavy rain.

Which means if you’re a songbird over open water, your forward progress is gonna slow to little or none while getting hammered from above. This is what Windy.com predicts for Saturday morning; songbird catastrophe.

And here is the predicted migrant forecast for tonight as the front approaches the coast….

If this were a computer simulation, picture maybe 100 million little dots creeping north, then piling up against that cold front and getting scattered all over. Birds don’t get tired, they fly until they run out of fuel. Those over land or lucky enough to make landfall land immediately.

Always a crapshoot but conditions are right for what is called a “fallout”, best I’ve seen in years. In a big one birds are everywhere, practically every bush and tree. Ever’body and their brother into birds is gonna be at the coast with binocs in the morning. Could be spectacular.

This is very interesting to me sir, thank you for sharing the info with us. My wife and I went to Grand Isle, Louisiana several weeks ago to catch some of the early arrivals. I hope most of the birds make it tonight but as we know, mother nature is a cruel bitch. Here's a few pics from Grand Isle.

Beautiful!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's really moot since the ones that make it to land will all eventually be killed by wind turbines anyway. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad
It's really moot since the ones that make it to land will all eventually be killed by wind turbines anyway. wink

I hate turbines, and they do take out bats and birds. The latest info tho is that most birds are passing high above them. Fer example last night maybe a couple of hundred million birds were in the air over Texas. I went out looking for a bit today and found maybe five.

Without contrary weather to bring ‘em down most of them pass right by. For example one of the more sought after species around here is the gray-cheeked thrush, winters in the Amazon breeds way the heck up north in brush on the edges of the Tundra.

Now we know they can leave the highlands of Colombia and fly non-stop to places as distant as Ohio. Most of them prob’ly overfly us.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When Operation Migration was flying south with the first year Whooping Cranes they had to fly low and slow due to the capabilities of their altra-light aircraft.

[Linked Image from arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com]

They'd fly along at about 30 mph making 25 to 100 miles a day depending on weather and tailwinds.

The last trip they made took 115 days, about 1500 miles from Wisconsin to Florida.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

They said such a journey would be too stressful for a adult bird, only due to the age did the birds they guided south survive the trip.

The Cranes would fly home on their own in the Spring at elevations of upto 6000ft making 60+ mph riding the thermals.

They easily made the entire trip home in 3 to 4 days.

They were daytime fliers, when they migrate they flap their wings very little. When the cranes take off from the ground around mid-day, they begin flapping until they find a thermal of warm air rising from the ground.

A thermal can be a column of rising air caused by uneven heating of the earth.

The birds will circle in a thermal to gain altitude.
Once they have reached the top of the thermal they will set their wings and glide in the direction of migration, slowly descending along the way. When they reach another thermal, they will again spiral upwards. They repeat the process over and over throughout the day.

Towards the end of the day, the cranes will begin to look for a suitable place to spend the night. Suitable places include shallow wetlands surrounded by good feeding areas. Once they find a likely-looking spot, they will slowly glide down to spend the night, roosting in the shallow water.

The distance over the oceans these tiny migrating birds can make nonstop is phenomenal!!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,902
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.