Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've been told you could load a rack behind the balers.[Linked Image from ogden_images.s3.amazonaws.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
They enjoyed their 5 minutes of fame and were supplanted by the square press type balers. Downfall of these machines were that you had to stop the forward travel during the tying phase. This at a time when live PTOs were few and far between. Allis Chalmers eventually designed a hay bypass to avoid stopping but by then the interest in them had faded. They are an interesting piece of Allis history. If they had of designed a larger version Allis would have been forty years ahead of its time.

Nick

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dad traveled the Midwest representing a twine company for many years. He found that there were pockets where there was still enough interest in the AC balers that his company handled roto-baler twine as well as regular twine. If I remember correctly there was a complaint against the round bales in that a stack would "settle" between layers of the pyramid.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've been told they could stack those bales on a hayrack.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Allis Chalmers sold a loader that attached to the side of their tractors and loaded the bales onto a trailing wagon. The bales were stacked by hand once on the wagon. My uncle had a roto baler but it was sold long before I was able to help out in the field and have no recollection of it in use.

Nick

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
AC Rotobalers were very popular in our area. Dad bought the first one in our neighborhood in 1952. By 1970 small square balers were used on probably less than 10% of the hay made in our area. This trend continued until VerMeer big round balers appeared in the mid 70s.

I don't recall seeing round bales being loaded directly onto a rack as is normal practice with square balers. Normal for us was two guys walking beside a lowboy trailer loading as a tractor pulled it between two rows. Actually faster than mechanical loaders as they could only take a single row.

A hay hook kept me physically fit and earned some good money for those days.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It always puzzled me that the hardware stores and implements sold bale hooks since no place that I baled ever used them. (Given my propensity to injure myself with most anything that was handy, that was probably just as well.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I walked beside a low boy with a hay hook picking up those small bales a few times. Had to watch for snakes under the bales.

In 1975 I went to work at an A/C dealer. Older mechanic the told stories of folks getting their arms in those balers. I forget the reason for that. (plugging up possibly)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cecil56
I walked beside a low boy with a hay hook picking up those small bales a few times. Had to watch for snakes under the bales.

In 1975 I went to work at an A/C dealer. Older mechanic the told stories of folks getting their arms in those balers. I forget the reason for that. (plugging up possibly)

No, the reason is that it is a powered machine and the people using it are farmers. (God love them.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dont believe I ever saw one of those balers. Interesting machine.

Square bales was the norm as far back as I can remember.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
pretty much needed an ALICE tractor with that I'm not going to get this phrase right kind of the neutral spot in the transmission without actually being in neutral. so you didn't burn the clutch out letting it wrapped a little bales with strings.
very hard on a normal type clutch..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ldholton
pretty much needed an ALICE tractor with that I'm not going to get this phrase right kind of the neutral spot in the transmission without actually being in neutral. so you didn't burn the clutch out letting it wrapped a little bales with strings.
very hard on a normal type clutch..
The old WD Allis had a hand clutch, one speed, either engaged or disengaged. It would stop tractor movement, but allow the PTO to continue operation.

Starting around the D-17 era, they changed the term to power director clutch. It had a high and low speed with a neutral position. Both of them set ahead of the transmission in the case.

I've rebuilt both of them a LONG time ago! You had to shim the clutch packs. (wet clutches) This would have been in the 1970's and 1980's. My mind fades.

Last edited by Cecil56; 03/27/23.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Cecil56

Or in them.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My grandad had one
They sold a lot of them there are still some in the fence rows around here

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
The only one I ever saw used was by our neighbor in southern Minnesota in the mid 50"s.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Our neighbor had one in western Ks in the early 60s. I got in on gathering the bales, by using hay hooks. I’m still amazed that I didn’t impale my leg with those hooks.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I recall, Dad said that western Kansas was one of the enclaves of rotobaler twine sales.

Last edited by 5sdad; 04/30/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.