Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
45_100 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Okay, I highjacked the thread about an illegal Mexican shooting illegal Hondurans. It got sidetracked onto who should vote and to whom the Bill of Rights pertains. I wrote I think the Bill of Rights pertains to anyone in this country, legal or illegal. Jag wrote he thinks the Bill of Rights applies only to those in this country legally (paraphrased). I agree it should but I don’t think that is how it is written.

I also wrote I think voting is a privilege of citizenship. RiverRider wrote property ownership and paying taxes should be a requirement to vote. Jcubed wrote he could sell someone a square foot of property and they could vote.

People are always trying to find a way to get around a law or use it to support their position. In many places there are zoning laws that regulate minimum parcel size but those can be bypassed by selling title as Tenants in Common with an undivided interest. Jcubed is right in that Bill Gates or anyone else could sell one square foot parcels and people could then vote.

That leads to “what was the intent of the law”? We can no longer ask the founding fathers so it has pretty much fallen on the Supreme Court to interpret the intent and/or the constitutionality of laws. The founding fathers intent was to require ownership of property so voters would have skin in the game so to speak. One square foot of land would not be significant therefore it would/should not meet the property ownership requirement.

As far as paying taxes, I think even those on the government tit could claim they pay sales tax so they should be eligible to vote. Then the argument becomes it is not your money, it is government money. So then those who work for the government should not be able to vote? I would say no they should not be able to vote. They have a vested interest in bigger government. Furthermore government doesn’t create anything and has no money other than what they confiscate from the people.

The Frist Ammendment and the Second Ammendment are also controversial as to the intent of the founding fathers. Personally I think both are very clear but others might not agree.

If anyone wants to continue the discussion have at it.

GB1

M
M
I believe only Citizens of a particular country should be allowed to vote in local, state and federal elections.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Illegals have no citizenship or voting rights. They must be earned! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Correct. Just because they managed to get here illegally does not give them rights of a citizen.

M
M
Unfortunately, there are people amongst us who want to give every illegal person the right to vote.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MAC_66
Unfortunately, there are people amongst us who want to give every illegal person the right to vote.
That's because they'll vote Democrat because the Dems have let them get here without being deported.
Those who let them enter illegally have also broken the law and should be subject to prosecution.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 53 invisible), 3,367 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,794
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.