Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buzz.....why the persistent personal attacks? I don't hide my name or location.

Check all my properties. 100% paid for, since 1992.

Like most Biden voters, the anti-wealth force is strong in this one.

Originally Posted by BuzzH
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Buzz, Buzz, Buzz.......we have a couple left hand rifles. Rest assured, little guy.

The Guise left hand 721 conversion was bought for a song at a gun shop in Mountain Home, ID. My oldest son (of 5 sons) lives there.

Had a cheesy 60's stock with the flared pistol grip......a peep sight......side mount with a stith 4x post.

LH bolt, right hand ejection port. Converted LH safety.

Took the port chunk from the right side of the synthetic stock and pinned/expoxied to the left side.

Do you understand so far? My third LH .338, but who is counting?

Ain't no tanger safety 77, but we trying.

2 of 5 sons are southpaws.....and all 5 are Trump supporters.

Before the experts chime in....we know all about being exposed to gases with the right hand ejection port.

Handloader since 1979.......Ill make it do whatever I want.

Sounds like a real piece of s hit... probably matches the tires on your roof and the weed patch out back.

If you decide to sell sounds like something scrapnel would buy from you at the next Prairie dog hunt...

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aside from shooting mostly inertia-driven, or single and double 12 ga’s since I was a teen, with rifles I worked up the cartridge ladder until I landed on the 340 Wby and used it for over twenty years on elk. and other big game. 375’s up to a 458 Lott were in there too. I’m a lefty and do have traumatic arthritis of the shoulder.

Not enough discomfort to deter me from shooting but I’ve definitely gone to smaller ga’s and smaller cartridges.

Getting older with less testosterone, helps with being more reasonable..🙂

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That .340 is a beast, George. .33's have always had a special place, but the .35's are quickly catching up since Iowa went anything .35-.50.

The Whelen kills very quickly, but the Norma Mag may make its debut this fall.

Landowner tags, best of tests.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Buzz.....why the persistent personal attacks? I don't hide my name or location.

Check all my properties. 100% paid for, since 1992.

Like most Biden voters, the anti-wealth force is strong in this one.

Buzz, Buzz, Buzz.......we have a couple left hand rifles. Rest assured, little guy.

The Guise left hand 721 conversion was bought for a song at a gun shop in Mountain Home, ID. My oldest son (of 5 sons) lives there.

Had a cheesy 60's stock with the flared pistol grip......a peep sight......side mount with a stith 4x post.

LH bolt, right hand ejection port. Converted LH safety.

Took the port chunk from the right side of the synthetic stock and pinned/expoxied to the left side.

Do you understand so far? My third LH .338, but who is counting?

Ain't no tanger safety 77, but we trying.

2 of 5 sons are southpaws.....and all 5 are Trump supporters.

Before the experts chime in....we know all about being exposed to gases with the right hand ejection port.

Handloader since 1979.......Ill make it do whatever I want.

Sounds like a real piece of s hit... probably matches the tires on your roof and the weed patch out back.

If you decide to sell sounds like something scrapnel would buy from you at the next Prairie dog hunt...

Why are you such an a-hole toward people who shoot more elk with anything but your ridiculous recommendations?

Just an a-hole in general or do you have to work at it?

Didn't mean to make fun of the tires on your roof.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buzz.......you voted for Biden......and I have to explain myself?

Screwing the little retarded girl down the street isn't OK, just because you can.

It's not whether you can, it's whether you should.

Dumbed it down the best I can, for your benefit.

Risk analysis, best practices, etc. I know, a foreign language.

Why are you such an a-hole toward people who shoot more elk with anything but your ridiculous recommendations?

Just an a-hole in general or do you have to work at it?

Didn't mean to make fun of the tires on your roof.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You definitely have the talent to take stupid to places it's never been...don't sell yourself short.

I bought several hundred 90 grain etips for the 6mm...have a feeling the elk in 7 are going to hate them. Only pushing them at 3300 fps, but they'll get through elk just fine. Shooting 1.25 5 shot groups at 200.

Stay tuned...I'll show you what dead elk look like come fall

How's the elk hunting in Iowa looking?

Last edited by BuzzH; 04/30/23.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buzz......are you inadvertently admitting you screwed the little retarded girl?

Where are all your supporters?

You definitely have the talent to take stupid to places it's never been...don't sell yourself short.

I bought several hundred 90 grain etips for the 6mm...have a feeling the elk in 7 are going to hate them. Only pushing them at 3300 fps, but they'll get through elk just fine. Shooting 1.25 5 shot groups at 200.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Buzz......are you inadvertently admitting you screwed the little retarded girl?

Where are all your supporters?

You must have a pretty twisted mind, I hope Rick bans you.

Seek help, seriously.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buzz......Please read your posts.

You voted for Biden, and I need help?

Where are you supporters?

Seek help, seriously.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Buzz......Please read your posts.

TFF!

You voted for Biden, and I need help???

My wife scolded me for picking on the disabled.

Buzz, you're good.

Where are you supporters?

Seek help, seriously.

I'm sure you're a huge disappointment to your wife and kids for the things you say on this board.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
George.........please tell him to stop.

Always kinda agreed with Rush.......the other side needs to be defeated, not compromised with.

Who actually votes for that idiot Biden?

I'm sure you're a huge disappointment to your wife and kids for the things you say on this board.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great choice of words.......stay away from "short" comings.

Biden 2024.......right, Buzz?

Actually, currently tinkering on a .338 721 converted to left hand, by Guise.

But, we'll spare you the technical stuff.

Your insecurities are duly noted mikeweiner...got the 50 BMG all ready to hunt cows in 7?

You know, those cow elk are nearly armor plated up there.

Hey dummy...Remington manufactured left handed actions.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

LMFAO someone that would spend real money to convert a 721 to LH . WOW

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought the 721 already converted to LH, but maybe the nursing home internet didn't pick that up.....first time.

Guise did the conversion, back then. Barreled to .338 too......from 300 H+H, back then.

Do a Google if you'd like to see the conversions, back then.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Great choice of words.......stay away from "short" comings.

Biden 2024.......right, Buzz?

Actually, currently tinkering on a .338 721 converted to left hand, by Guise.

But, we'll spare you the technical stuff.

Your insecurities are duly noted mikeweiner...got the 50 BMG all ready to hunt cows in 7?

You know, those cow elk are nearly armor plated up there.

Hey dummy...Remington manufactured left handed actions.

LMFAO someone that would spend real money to convert a 721 to LH . WOW

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
all great ideals ,i am 70 went down the same road as you drove many big trucks ,4 speeds all kinds of weather day and night climbed poles as a REA lineman 35 years ,yes recoil in a rifle is not a lot of fun anymore use your 25-06 its a great cartridge . myself i am switching over too a 257 Roberts because of my age and my grandson is young so i got him a 257 Roberts too the young and old we don`t like recoil much . the 25-06 is all you need good luck,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 04/30/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m getting long in the tooth too. Steel knees, back surgery, neuropathy in the legs, heart giving issues.
I sold my 350 Rem Mag 600, my 338’s, and my 416 Rigby. I suppose I’ll continue selling the rifles that give a little more kick. (Good thing is bullets have improved so much over the years.) i bought a suppressor for the 375’s and 35’s. I have one for 30 calibers and smaller. Suppressors really cut recoil.

I think the 30-06 is a very good cartridge for elk. I hunted elk with smaller, while I used to hunt with the 350 and 338’s.

I think I’ll get a WY tag this year, I hope. I’m not sure I’ll be trying for an out of state license again.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I mentioned 30-06 as I really like the round, especially with 200s and even 220s, but they do kick. I also have (like most of us) more .30 cal stuff than others. I used a .280 a bit, then had it reamed to the Improved 30yrs ago. Good round, didn't need a brake even in the Mountain rifle. My last attempt at a decent shooting 7x57 flubbed on me. I mentioned my 25-06 only because so many older guys use them out here, even on elk. I never shot anything bigger than mule deer with mine. Keep the ideas coming guys! ( sorry you had to get your shoulder replaced SaddleSore)
The 25-06 is an elk killing machine, if the guy holding it can place the bullet in the right place.

A local family had a cattle ranch of several thousand acres mixed timber and sage brush elk paradise. Three brothers and a couple buddies took at least four bulls off of it every year for many years until Dad and Uncle sold the place off.

Between the bunch were five tang safety Ruger 77s in 25-06 with the magnum weight 24 inch barrel. Their guns shot so well, I bought the first one I found just like them in 1982.

The guys all loaded 120 gr Nosler solid base bullets..........until the Barnes X came out. They all immediately switched.

Like I said, these boys could shoot. I watched one brother knock over a running coyote just past 300 yds with one shot from his 25-06. Later that day, he put three into the sweet spot of a cow elk running at about the same distance.

Myself, I bought a Ruger #1 in 7 STW, just for elk, and I had been jonesing for the cartridge and a Ruger #1 for quite a while.

If in your situation, since you love that old '06, I would be loading it with some 180 partitions, or 165 mono metals to about 2600 fps. Then I would sight it dead on at 225 yds, and slay an elk.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I may have skipped over some of the details of this thread, but I didn't see mention about the use of a "sissy pad" when shooting, especially at the range. That device (and good hearing protection) has allowed me to forget about recoil and concentrate on sight picture, trigger control and follow-through.

My shoulder surgery was 10 or so years ago, and I followed the advice about not lifting much weight, doing all the PT and such, but was able to shoot comfortably in a month or two using a PAST pad over a tee shirt. Lighter bullets, less velocity, smaller calibers and lighter powder charges are all good advice. Take advantage of whatever else could work for you also.

Some changes and challenges are an opportunity for us to appreciate opposable thumbs and our imagination. Try some of the tips mentioned and see how they work for you. Best wishes for full recovery.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I love my Past recoil shield!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I love my Past recoil shield!

me too , anything bigger than my 257 Roberts Ruger #1 I put the past recoil shield on now days !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The stock shape makes a good deal of difference in my experience, particularly the crown and surface area of the butt. An example is (or was) the Brown Precision Classic stock with a very straight crown. Add a Pachmayr recoil pad and you’ve gone a ways to mitigate recoil with the rifle itself minus a brake of any kind, which I tried once and then threw it away.

Then with a shooting pad, work-up at the bench wasn’t so bad.

An example of just the opposite was the one on the older Browning Stainless Stalker. It had a comparatively narrow butt with much less surface area. A friend had one in 338. We called it the Flying Wedge. It was much more unpleasant to shoot off the bench than my 340.

Up top was how I set up my 340 with that Brown Prec stock. Even scoped and with a sling, it was only 8.5 lbs — my idea of the hunting weight of the 33’s to the 375’s.

But, no doubt the effect over the years is cumulative. I took my last two bulls with a 30/06 and a 284 Win. They worked fine.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.