Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Short Story-
We need to rehome my son's dog. If you're in the market for an intact male catahoula, let's talk.

Longer Story-
My son (now 17) bought him from Judd Bean in Oklahoma in February, 2021 and he's been great. He's a companion dog, great around the house and doesn't tear anything up like our last two catahoulas did.

About 10 weeks ago my son was petting him when the button on his shock collar was accidentally hit. The dog associated the shock with the petting and bit my son on the hand. No serious injury.

We brought in a professional trainer and followed all of his advice and the dog (Atticus) seems to be back to normal. He was very freaked out about the whole incident and wouldn't let my son touch him at all for a few weeks. Now they don't have any problems.

But the relationship with the rest of the family has been damaged, too. Every time Atticus gets protective of food or is just moody like catahoulas can be, it freaks my wife out. There's just been a lot of trust broken.

My son just got a scholarship to go out of state for college next fall, and with the damaged relationship between my wife and Atticus, we've decided to rehome him.

He's housebroken, sleeps inside and spends the day in and out, depending on what's going on. He was good with our last dog, another catahoula. I don't think he's ever seen a cat. He hates possums and foxes. We haven't had him outside while the chickens are out. Usually he'll wander over to the chicken run and bark at them every once in a while to make them squawk, then ignore them.

We're located outside of Austin, TX.

I can text or email his NALC paperwork. I'd like to help my son recoup some of the money he spent on the dog, but what that looks like, I don't know.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn, he’s beautiful. If you were closer I’d be coming to see him. Always wanted one.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Nice dog

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Give Lt. a shout.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
What a beautiful cat. We got our cat at 1 years old from a former rodeo guy who moved to a house with a small yard. Jasper was re-homed to our ranch and has been living the good life for the past 13 years with us. These dogs are absolutely loyal as can be and amazing dogs as long as they have space and a job to do.

Last edited by LHPanther; 04/30/23.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m involved with several dog/animal rescue organizations.

If it comes down to finding him a new home. Let me know. That said, must rescue groups specify neutering prior to rehoming.

I’m near Lufkin.

The original Frito Bandito!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Just curious, but what's your house floor, polished cement?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kowalski
Just curious, but what's your house floor, polished cement?

I stained the concrete. Sherwin Williams something or other.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
That’s a beautiful dog. I’m too far away but hope he finds a good home.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a Cat/Rottweiler rescue that came from Oklahoma. One of the best dogs I have ever had.

Better to throw pearls before swine then pour good coffee into the cups of the indifferent.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The incident with the shock collar is unfortunate, I hope he and the family can overcome that.

I have a female catahoula about a year older than your male here, she’s been a great dog for the family, extremely intelligent and aims to please. She is colored up a lot like your dog, only one blue and one amber on the eyes.

Hell on coons.

Black Cows Matter!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great dogs. I have a red one that is by far the best dog I’ve had…..and I’ve had a bunch. I got him at 2 years old because he was killing chickens. He and I made a bond on day one and we’ve been pretty damn tight ever since. He will do whatever I ask of him…..he’ll run rabbits, deer, tree coons, whatever. He’ll kill a cat, or leave it alone if I ask. His primary job is blood tracking and he is damn good at it. He is now 11 and getting real grey…..like me.

Hope you find him a good home. He’d sure fit in around our farm.

Hope you don’t settle for a so-so new owner / situation for him. If you run out of options, call me please.

Hardin284
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m curious Blue, does he free roam your property or fenced in. My female has learned where she’s supposed to be and where she’s not. No fences.

That’s a really pretty dog.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend that crosses them with Border Collies for cow dogs in rough country.... they are damn good dogs .... good luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.