Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
One of the coolest dogs ever, my nephew’s dog Blue, a mini, seen here maybe age 15, stone deaf nearly blind. He got her when she was 10wks on his 9th birthday.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She was sent to our house to get housebroke, sorta, later sent to us again to have her litter of puppies.

At my nephew’s house she got un-housebroke again and so ended up an outside dog, in the country. Lost half an ear somewhere in a lifetime of combat with various and sundry critters😎

My nephew’s parents moved when he was in the Navy (still is) so Blue spent the last year of her life living out of a crate on my front porch. She was like a wild coyote trapped n the body of a wiener dog grin

If this is gonna be a rainbow bridge deal I’ll listen for the raspy bark of an ancient wiener dog chasing the UPS guy down the driveway 🙂

Reminds me of my uncles 17 year old beagle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Valsdad, I talked to the women, she said he does that same thing at home, I don't know how to stop him. and I told her I do. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7
Valsdad, I talked to the women, she said he does that same thing at home, I don't know how to stop him. and I told her I do. Rio7
Another example of people who aren't smart enough to own a dog.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RIO7
Apparently that was enough to do the trick.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the coolest dogs ever, my nephew’s dog Blue, a mini, seen here maybe age 15, stone deaf nearly blind. He got her when she was 10wks on his 9th birthday.

She was sent to our house to get housebroke, sorta, later sent to us again to have her litter of puppies.

At my nephew’s house she got un-housebroke again and so ended up an outside dog, in the country. Lost half an ear somewhere in a lifetime of combat with various and sundry critters😎

My nephew’s parents moved when he was in the Navy (still is) so Blue spent the last year of her life living out of a crate on my front porch. She was like a wild coyote trapped n the body of a wiener dog grin

If this is gonna be a rainbow bridge deal I’ll listen for the raspy bark of an ancient wiener dog chasing the UPS guy down the driveway 🙂

Birdie,

I'd have loved to have met Blue, great story there. And those little dogs can be tougher than a raccoon.

FYI, I started a bird question thread for you to maybe help with.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Originally Posted by blairvt
one of my first memories is rabbit hunting with my Dad and Brother. Dad had 3 beagles. I only remember one because Dad was constantly beating the thing trying to get it to listen. The other 2 must have been fine. I remember a neighbor bring ing it home once with a bunch of dead chickens it had just killed. Then the day. We go rabbit hunting and the dogs jump some deer. 2 listened and came back, of course one was gone chasing the deer. We kept hunting and would occasionally here it barking somewhere. At the end of the day we are back at the truck and dad is honking the horn trying to get it to come. Here it comes running across the field. When it gets close Dad laid it out with some #6's. He had enough. Traumatic for a little kid.

JFC that's harsh.

Doing the right thing isn't always easy.

Where I come from killing a family dog with a blast of #6 in front of the kids is not doing the right thing. I don't have a problem with culling the dog, but that was over the top.

My tongue was in my cheek when I posted that.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is really no such thing as a dumb dog. After all they all made a human take care of them right?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every breed of dog is good at what they're good at. Some dogs are dumber than others.

People that expect a breed of dog to not act like that breed of dog are the stupid ones

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
12 years old and wouldn't trade her for 20 dozen "smart" dogs. We're equally hard headed and stubborn and know when not to fool with each other.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Labradoodle = dumb. Basically adding poodle to anything ruins the dog

I respectfully disagree. I have 2 Sheepadoodles. The male is not a genius, but the female we have is very smart.

Ron

Wife bought a golden-doodle against my wishes. Didn't want another inside dog. That stupid thing is wicked smart and the calmest dog I have ever been around. Typically one speed, which is off.

Her little buddies on either side of her, not so calm...

Hahahaha! Agree with you on the wicked smart. My male amazes me and the female, holds her own. They do not have an off switch though except at night when it’s bed time

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Little Otto is pretty smart. He housebroke pretty easy and wants to go everywhere his boy goes, has to go to school for drop off every morning and pickup in the afternoons. We don’t care if he’s a genius or not, he’s our boy’s companion and that’s all we ask of him. He had fun riding on the boat catching saugeye and then chasing geese at the ramp this evening. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I remember when you posted about him a while ago. You are one of the good guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by windridge
Dalmatians are light-years dumber.

Totally true, not much between the ears of a dalmatian. Any usable sense must have been bred out of them. Also, with that short coat, very cold intolerant.

Most Irish Setters are very dumb. Again, bred for looks and any sense is gone. No longer a usable bird dog unless an old line from Ireland is found that the AKC parameters have not screwed up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reivertom
Cocker Spaniels will give them a run for their money. My sister's was an idiot.

I wasn't going to mention cooker spaniels as so many people love their dogs. The AKC, breeding for looks has bred the sense and birdiness out of the cocker. If you want one,search out a line from Britain where you can find cockers that still can hunt and be great pets.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Some dogs are indeed just dumb but others are highly independent. My German Wirehair is the latter. A lab she is not; very independent with a ton of drive and sometimes thinks she knows better than you what she needs to be doing.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've known dozens of dogs and plenty of dim witted ones. But by far the worst is the one my parents have now. He was sold to them as a pomeranian puppy but he kept growing and growing. I think it's crossed with a Jack Russell or some kind of terrier.

If you combine "retarded" and "hyper active" you would come close to that mess of a dog. They couldn't keep it in the house because he would jump onto the kitchen table every time you turned your back and rip apart furniture. When he looks at you, you can just tell he has nothing going on upstairs. I've never met a more infuriating or aggravating dog.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Some dogs are indeed just dumb but others are highly independent. My German Wirehair is the latter. A lab she is not; very independent with a ton of drive and sometimes thinks she knows better than you what she needs to be doing.
I’ll second this. I have a 15 year old wirehair and she’s been the smartest and most stubborn dog I’ve ever seen. If she wants to do something nothing I’ve found will stop her. I’m no great shakes dog trainer but I’ve done fine with a lab, several setters, and two weenie dogs. I’ll never own another wirehair, not gambling on getting another one like her.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Many dog owners will get "the Look", but wieners have a patent on it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw JJ my brother's 18 yr old wiener dog today. John didn't want me to take a pic, JJ is blind and deaf now, he is skeletal looking but still eats and gets around the house using his nose and likes to be petted. I doubt he will last much longer than a few weeks, days maybe.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you've ever been around Pomeranians for any amount of time you would realize it isn't even a contest. They are definitely the air head valley girls of the dog world ...

My sister had a couple dachsunds that were exceptionally well behaved and well trained. Had to give them a ride home in my truck when their truck broke down and she got in the back of my crew cab with her two Weiners and the dogs sat in one position until we got halfway and had dinner- a trip of about two hours. They went and took a dump in the bushes at the restaurant, walked around for about five minutes and sat in the truck and didn't move for the rest of the trip, which was about another two hours. I was pretty amazed- up until that time I had a pretty low opinion of Dachsunds in general...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,672
Posts18,493,793
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.