Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've not gotten hands on the newer version yet, but I use a 3-12x42 P3L with the 3.2 mil BDC. As I understand it, the newer version is the same but has 4.8 mil on the dial.

With any decent BC bullet/round, the 3.2 is fine for my hunting. The 4.8 would allow me to play a bit further though, so I'm hoping they will retrofit/upgrade at some point.
Got mine today; can confirm 4.8 mil on the new dial.

Sweet. Is the function/design of the dial the same as the previous or were there any changes there?

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I've not gotten hands on the newer version yet, but I use a 3-12x42 P3L with the 3.2 mil BDC. As I understand it, the newer version is the same but has 4.8 mil on the dial.

With any decent BC bullet/round, the 3.2 is fine for my hunting. The 4.8 would allow me to play a bit further though, so I'm hoping they will retrofit/upgrade at some point.

Sweet. Is the function/design of the dial the same as the previous or were there any changes there?

Good question. My existing Precision Hunter has a dial that starts at 1 and goes to 13 with 4 clicks/hash marks between each number, for a total of 48 clicks. I hate that arrangement. It should have had 0 as the start of the dial for your rifle zero and then you dial up from there.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by VaHunter

Good question. My existing Precision Hunter has a dial that starts at 1 and goes to 13 with 4 clicks/hash marks between each number, for a total of 48 clicks. I hate that arrangement. It should have had 0 as the start of the dial for your rifle zero and then you dial up from there.

I'm pretty sure mine starts with 0 at the beginning hash and a numbered hash at every 5/10/15/etc. Not looking at it right now but if it started at 1 I think I'd remember it.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]black baby names

This is what mine looks like, note the picture is rotated 90deg

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That appears to be MOA where mine is MIL...but either way, it still seems odd to start at 1.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A quick look at:

https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/products/turrets/hunting.html

..shows the following which is what I think mine looks like. I'll verify tonight.

[Linked Image from schmidtundbender.de]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VaHunter
...... Good question. My existing Precision Hunter has a dial that starts at 1 and goes to 13 with 4 clicks/hash marks between each number, for a total of 48 clicks....

Is that perhaps an older MOA dial version?? I have a Klassik (confirmed by Jerry @ S&B) with 0-12, and 1/4 MOA dashes in between the numbers... just a thought.

edit - typing delay / late reply, JCMCUBIC already suggested MOA

Attached Images
IMG_0257.jpg (11.25 KB, 219 downloads)
Last edited by stealthgoat; 05/02/23. Reason: late reply
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
That appears to be MOA where mine is MIL...but either way, it still seems odd to start at 1.

Well Schmidt and Bender told me that it was 1/2 centimeter clicks at 100 meters, or approximately .20" at 100 meters, or .18" at 100 yards which is a very poor way to do a dial. This makes the 4 clicks between the numbers even more useless. Now I am not sure those Germans do the same way twice on anything they build because I have heard of so many different variations of the Precision Hunter including yours.

Now I have not shot this scope for 10 or more years and I have forgotten what it actually is and how I dealt with it but I plan to shoot it as soon as the wind dies down here to confirm the dial. I have never hunted it only shot it a few times at paper. My plan for it is to let a friend use the scope on a elk hunting trip in the fall so he and I will ring it out on his rifle.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

0-45 on the dial.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pic upload

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
0-45 on the dial.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Excellent. Thanks!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, I like that 4.8 a lot!

Last edited by stealthgoat; 05/02/23.
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Stealthgoat,

It could be MOA and that would explain the 4 graduations between the numbers but again when I purchased the scope their web site indicated 1/2 cm or 1/5" (.20") at 100 meters. When I got the scope I also called to confirm the graduations and was told that the information I had was correct.

Now I have had this on a 7 Rem Mag and many years ago when zeroing the rifle I ran out of adjustments to have the scope zeroed and still have dial room in the vertical so I installed Burris signature rings with offset inserts and the next range session I was able to zero the scope and move the dial its full range. I did not verify the click values, although I should have, and I only shot the rifle at distance by using the Mildot reticle and have never dialed it. In fact I don't think I have shot that rifle in 10 years or a little more and it was never hunted with that scope. I did not like the dial and just did not use the scope.

As I said earlier I plan to shoot the rifle and confirm the click values on the scope as soon as the wind stops blowing my hat off.

I am very much looking forward to getting the new version of this Klassic with the 4.8 Mils on the dial. It should be here today.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Got my S&B 2.5-12x42 P3L and it is just as AKwolverine describes. I think I will be happy with this, 4.8 mils on the dial and a Mildot reticle what's not to like. Oh, and the lit center section of the reticle appears to have more than enough range of intensity to fit any ambient light situation.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
AKwolverine,

My heart has sunk a little after reviewing my new scope. Please look at your owners card and see if yours says what mine appears to be saying in that the elevation turret is 1/2 cm but the windage is 1 cm. Now the scope was advertised by Euro Optics as a 1 cm scope. If it is a 1/2 cm elevation I am no better off than I am with my old scope.

Last edited by VaHunter; 05/02/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

1 cm; clockwise turret; ASV = BDC

You’re happy.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V

1 cm; clockwise turret; ASV = BDC

You’re happy.

Thanks, I saw that 1/2 cm and that scared me.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

0-45 on the dial.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pic upload
Of the half dozen 3-12x42 Klassik's that I've worked with, ALL have had a maximum elevation "travel" of 2.4 MILs. I suspect this is the true for your scope as well, which would mean the elevation turret pictured is 0.05 MIL/click. It would be awesome IF the turret travel was indeed 4.8 MILs, but I don't think it is. A range, or a lab test will tell you for sure. In my experience, a phone call or an email to S&B can be very frustrating.

That said, I was able to get S&B to make me a few custom dials, they call them BDC but they really aren't, marked in MILs from 0 to 2 with hash marks at every 0.05 MILs. It took a while, but it did happen.

Like I said, it would be awesome IF your turrets had a 4.8 MIL travel, but I recommend you check them to be certain. Please let us know what you find out. Best.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Depending on application. I would consider 6x42, 1.5-6x42 and 3-12x42.

If sitting on a high seat, after deer or wild boar at dusk, then some sort of 8x50-56 would be good.

I like the old 4x36 too. We are hunting, not spotting craters on the moon, in my opinion.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A quick look at:

..shows the following which is what I think mine looks like. I'll verify tonight.

I verified the BDC's added to mine (6x42 and 3-12x42) both start at 0 and end with 2 hashes past 30.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
A quick look at:

I verified the BDC's added to mine (6x42 and 3-12x42) both start at 0 and end with 2 hashes past 30.

This turret is 0.25 MOA/click. 0.25x32 = 8 MOA which is very close to 2.4 MILs (8.256 MOA).

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 50 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,664
Posts18,474,697
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.