Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have measured lots of bridges to be widened, to make sure they were built in a way that they matched to original plans. Most did but some did not and changes were made that never got recorded on the plans. I was told back in 1967 that only Whores and carpenters dealt in inches. Bridges are built by one of them so we had to measure the bridge using inches, but the bridge ends which were on the highway, was in feet and tenths and hundreths. You talk about confusing the new guys on a crew. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Things tend to get more complicated whenever Gubmint gets involved, and that includes local Gubment.
Consider how they went about building the Alcan highway for example and how long it took to get it up and running.
How long do you think that project would take today?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have measured lots of bridges to be widened, to make sure they were built in a way that they matched to original plans. Most did but some did not and changes were made that never got recorded on the plans. I was told back in 1967 that only Whores and carpenters dealt in inches. Bridges are built by one of them so we had to measure the bridge using inches, but the bridge ends which were on the highway, was in feet and tenths and hundreths. You talk about confusing the new guys on a crew. miles

The Arizona DOTs were on a metric mode back in the late 80s. That got confusing!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know a retired DOT PLS fella. He should chime in soon.
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeS

The Arizona DOTs were on a metric mode back in the late 80s. That got confusing!
I got into that too. At one time I had tapes, level rods and all of the equipment, in my trucks to do all three. Feet and inches, feet and tenths, and metric. miles

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
I know a retired DOT PLS fella. He should chime in soon.
wink
I are one. Arkansas DOT is what they call themselves now. They were called Arkansas Highway and Transportation Dept. when I was working. miles

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seward Highway bridges around Turnagain Arm are in the middle of some serious upgrades. A couple years ago the project manager allowed a bridge to go in that missed grade height and center by a couple feet. Driving over it was a weird sensation. They had to replace it.

Project Manager got to find a new job.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Seward Highway bridges around Turnagain Arm are in the middle of some serious upgrades. A couple years ago the project manager allowed a bridge to go in that missed grade height and center by a couple feet. Driving over it was a weird sensation. They had to replace it.

Project Manager got to find a new job.
Which bridge?

Some very serious realignment going on there too!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Two houses down from us is a seven acre property purchased almost twenty years ago, and a new house put on sometime later. Their property was divided off of a farm East of them, which adjoins a road on the North end. But the previous owner did reserve an easement over the North end of the seven acres.

These dummies placed their home directly atop of this easement. Because "It is my property, and besides, no one has crossed here for years!"

Well, the 70 acre farm behind has sold. And is being subdivided into city lot home sites, about 250 or 300 of them. The owners of the seven acres have been informed they WILL move their house. As an access road to the South end of the subdivision will go on that easement.

And then there was the case of a local farm family which bought 100 acres of inaccessible land. They then bought a one acre lot which sat right beside their 100 acres. And resold the lot with an easement to access their property behind.

It was five or six years later that they got ready to start building on that 100 acres. The family had about ten kids, and the intention was to build homes for kids on the property. I later met the new owner of that lot, with the easement. He had tried to stop the family from crossing "his property" when the time came.

He cussed the original owners as "Evil Bastards who used every possible legal maneuver to screw him over".

What the Hell is with people? The words are right there on their deed. Do they not read the deed? Do they think because the easement is not presently exercised, that they can prevent it being so in perpetuity?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Where does the liability sit if an engineer uses a 10 year old design and makes the assumption that everything was built exactly per plan?

The answer to why things get resurveyed is that it is cheap insurance considering the liability that comes with multi million dollar projects.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the fun part for a land owner is going out and trying to find spikes in the ground as survey markers using those "SE Corner" directions from a survey done when the land was divided up in 1986

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by flintlocke
They are not surveying. It is engineering. Firstly they are establishing centerline, shooting elevations and slopes, all to get good solid data to apply the construction plan upon which everything will be based.

It's both.

Engineers use the survey data compiled by surveyors to design stuff.

If you put a total station instrument on their desk and told them to go survey something, they would faint... grin

On tough jobs I used to tell my crew "If it was easy, the engineers would do it themselves".

I respect good civil engineers, and a lot of them are good survey techs. But too many engineers consider survey types people who couldn't make it through engineering school.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Above answers clarify a few things. Thanks guys. I did figure it was a cheap insurance base-line kind of thing pearthquake, slide, settling changes.

Old time engineers weren't all sloppy, apparently. When my oldest was in HS, he attended a career day. A surveyor there told him about a project he had had back east, re-surveying an original, that had never been updated. Finding the corners proved difficult. He had one good starting point. One of the problematics was an "oak tree". He found that by excavating down aways and finding red soil, indicative of decayed oak wood. From there, he had to find a big white rock- which he also found underground. The original survey proved to be spot on.

George Washington was just that good, tho he might have chosen better reference markers.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brazos
They are not surveying. It is engineering. Firstly they are establishing centerline, shooting elevations and slopes, all to get good solid data to apply the construction plan upon which everything will be based.

It's both.

If you put a total station instrument on their desk and told them to go survey something, they would faint... grin

On tough jobs I used to tell my crew "If it was easy, the engineers would do it themselves".

I respect good civil engineers, and a lot of them are good survey techs. But too many engineers consider survey types people who couldn't make it through engineering school.

Some of us have both Professional Licenses.👍

And by experience and testing, not a "grandfathered " license.

Last edited by MikeS; 05/04/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wldthg
Private property land surveying is a very different type of surveying than Highway construction surveying.
^^^Correct^^^

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Somebody once stole a metric grade rod out of my work truck. Funny thing about it was I noticed about a week later, they’d put it back.

I always wondered what all they fugged up before they realized the problem.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Survey bastards are SCAM ARTIST!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It's both.

That's the best kind.

Most states have gotten away from just handing out licenses now.

I know NM gave a good many RPLS licenses out to their highway dept surveyors after they'd put in so many years.. I've seen the fruit from those trees quite a bit there. One did many subdivisions back in the 60's and 70's... I swear, not one lot would close in those. Created problems for decades.

Texas used to give licensed engineers a survey license for an additional $25. Most of the engineers didn't try to practice "surveying" with them though, but a few did, and the Board stopped that nonsense.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Somebody once stole a metric grade rod out of my work truck. Funny thing about it was I noticed about a week later, they’d put it back.

I always wondered what all they fugged up before they realized the problem.

Was it metric or in hundreds? Elevations are in hundreds like 100.58 which is 100 feet 7”. I’m at 270.00 feet above sea level here.

Last edited by hanco; 05/04/23.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

It's both.

Also a PE and PLS. I acquired the Land Surveying license about 10 years after my PE primarily for convenience doing more complex projects. It made things easier when there was a gray area between 'land' surveying and 'engineering' surveying. In Alabama, as in most states, the two professions can get rather defensive and belligerent when they think their 'territory' is being encroached upon.

Although I'd done quite a bit of field surveying, I let the full time surveyors do the work whenever possible. They could truly run circles around me so I let them do what they did best and stuck mostly to my engineering design and associated tasks. I never had issues dealing with them and like to think they thought the same in dealing with me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,396
Posts18,488,877
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.